Author Topic: Senior Railcard  (Read 4289 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Senior Railcard
« on: 29 June, 2022, 09:56:33 pm »
After 6 years of railcard ownership, I allowed mine to lapse in 2020 because the pandemic meant that I wouldn't go on any trains. In fact, I have had two train journeys in the past 2 years, neither of which was planned in advance.

I have just bought some tickets for a return journey that I will undertake in August, and claimed the Senior Railcard discount. I will have to buy a railcard in advance of the journey. But it seems that now one's Senior Railcard can only be purchased as a virtual thing and it resides in the Trainline app. I checked my phone and I do indeed have a Trainline app.

Has anyone else any experience of adding discount railcards to the Trainline app? And is it actually possible to obtain a proper card to wave at a train guard/manager/ticket inspector, or is the electronic route The Only Way now?

The one good thing seems to be that it's still £70 for 3 years, and that's a price that hasn't changes since before I was 60 - over 8 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Senior Railcard
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:07:36 pm »
My not-Senior Railcard resides in my Railcard app and it Just Works.

You don't have to buy through Trainline but can buy through Network Rail as well.

(Tesco clubcard vouchers can be used against the cost of a one year Senior Railcard, amongst others)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:16:04 pm »
If you buy it from railcard.co.uk, can choose to get sent a card. Or just download it to the Railcard app.
Or buy a card at a station.

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:16:56 pm »
My physical not-Senior Railcard was delivered on Saturday having been ordered from https://www.railcard.co.uk/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:28:26 pm »
It sits in the Railcard App, if it is in an app.Not the Trainline one.

You can buy tickets as if they have any railcard. The risk of that is having the right railcard with you when you are inspected...

Given I look like someone who would have a Railcard, I rarely get challenged. I even offered my Railcard on my last journey, because I could. I was the only person in my carriage.

I know that if I was young and black, I'd have to show it every time.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:30:13 pm »
I’ve never used the Trainline becasue they are just a company that skims and adds no real value.

As an aside, if you are travelling at the weekend on superdooper saver tickets with an open return (and thus unable to travel on bought in advance on selected train only tickets) it’s worth buying the tickets at the station (at least at a Greater Anglia station) becasue they will automatically sell you split tickets if it’s cheaper.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:31:41 pm »
Well, I've bought one and downloaded the Railcard app for it to live in. I thought I'd better buy it now that I've got the tickets else I'd only forget before I travel in August and that would be Embarrassing.

I'm old and grey. I'll report back to see if I get it checked.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:44:44 pm »
I’ve never used the Trainline becasue they are just a company that skims and adds no real value.

As an aside, if you are travelling at the weekend on superdooper saver tickets with an open return (and thus unable to travel on bought in advance on selected train only tickets) it’s worth buying the tickets at the station (at least at a Greater Anglia station) becasue they will automatically sell you split tickets if it’s cheaper.
Really? I am strongly amazed at this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Senior Railca
« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2022, 11:46:57 pm »

Really? I am strongly amazed at this.
It’s certainly true at Ipswich and had been for a long time. One of the ticket office staff once told me it was policy because all trains on Saturday stopped at the intermediate stations needed to reduce the ticket cost. On our last journey, they issued split tickets at the group travelling together price (cheaper than the rail card discounts) when I only asked for return tickets to THAT LONDON. The only question he asked was to check we would be travelling both ways as a group.

And as an added bonus they also refunded the full price of the both parts of the return tickets when there was a (major) delay on the return journey.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2022, 02:24:07 am »
I don't have a smartphone.
I elected to have a physical Disabled Person's Railcard. I had to upload a photo when I applied but my plastic card has no photos.
David has a virtual Network Railcard on his phone. He seems to get applicable discounts applied hen he books tickets via the Trainline.

David's phone battery keeps failing, which is rather suboptimal for travel...

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:03:51 am »
I have a Disabled Railcard and agree that the application / renewal process is a bit odd as regards the photo requirement. I wonder if it depends on who you buy the card from - I needed a photo when I first applied, but I was dealing with the Railcard office directly (via my son who works for a railway company), but the renewal - via the railcard website - didn't need anything other than money.

It's worth noting that the barrier for the Disabled Railcard is (IMO) quite low.
I have some hearing loss and tinnitus - my card was approved with a copy of my NHS hearing aid prescription.
The card gives a discount to you AND a companion.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:18:37 am »
I have had a disabled Railcard for some years now.  I get a renewal notice every three years and stump up my relatively modest payment online.  I get a physical card in the post with braille embossing on a strip added across the front.  I cannot remember supplying a photograph when I originally applied back in the halcyon years of yesteryear at the turn of the century but I certainly haven't supplied a photograph for anything since my disabled persons bus pass in more recent times.  Now that really does save me an awful lot of money.

My Railcard has saved us a pretty penny over 20 years of rail travel in the UK including our numerous sleeper journeys whisking us beyond Hadrian's Wall.

« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:01:14 am »
I uploaded a passport-style photo for my recent railcard purchase and it is printed on the card.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:16:30 am »
I expect I'm the last one to learn this but anyway:

I've got a Network Railcard rather than a Senior Railcard, even though I'm an old bastard eligible for the latter.  I foolishly assumed the discounts were the same (1/3 off in off peak hours). They are, sort of, with the difference being the Senior Railcard has no minimum far while the Network Railcard has a minimum of £13.00 Monday to Friday.  On the other hand the Network Railcard does cover up to 3 other accompanying adults and a bunch of children, while the Senior Railcard is for the holder only.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:35:31 am »
A friend who is deaf, has mobility problems (ataxia) and low vision, has a railcard which, she says, allows an accompanying person to travel for just £5.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2022, 11:27:21 am »
A friend who is deaf, has mobility problems (ataxia) and low vision, has a railcard which, she says, allows an accompanying person to travel for just £5.

Interesting.  The normal disabled railcard gets 1/3 off for you and a companion.

« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2022, 11:37:43 am »
I went for the three year virtual Senior railcard, the month I became eligible, then used it twice before the pandemic and only another twice since.  Thankfully it's just about paid for itself.
When I come to renew, I'll choose the physical card. Maybe it's because I'm a senior that I'm more comfortable with something I can touch rather than something on the phone.  It's only once been a possible issue, I flattened the phone on the train and the charging cable was locked away with the bike. Luckily no one was ticket checking.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2022, 12:36:30 pm »

Interesting.  The normal disabled railcard gets 1/3 off for you and a companion.
I've never been on a train with her so I can't confirm this. It is possible she was just seizing on one example where it happened to reduce the fare to £5.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 30 June, 2022, 12:53:22 pm »
My Disabled Person's Railcard gives me + AN Other ⅓ off the normal fare.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #19 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:14:16 pm »
I expect I'm the last one to learn this but anyway:

I've got a Network Railcard rather than a Senior Railcard, even though I'm an old bastard eligible for the latter.  I foolishly assumed the discounts were the same (1/3 off in off peak hours). They are, sort of, with the difference being the Senior Railcard has no minimum far while the Network Railcard has a minimum of £13.00 Monday to Friday.  On the other hand the Network Railcard does cover up to 3 other accompanying adults and a bunch of children, while the Senior Railcard is for the holder only.

Another difference is that a Network Card is regional but the Senior Card is national.  Probably advisable to know this before the Ticket  Collector demands more dosh  To see which cards are national and which are regional, best check at: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/National-Railcards.aspx and https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/regional-railcards.aspx

HTH
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:13:06 pm »
I'm a youngish person and I don't want a virtual railcard. Don't trust technology At All and phone batteries do go flat or whatever.

I travelled with my mum and virtual tickets once and that was SO stressful, she couldn't open/work the apps and she never had the right thing displayed and didn't know what thing to open (and she's a pretty good smartphone user).

Fortunately as an Old white lady the staff were mostly friendly about her giving them the phone to work themselves and they were clearly used to it.

I think they really need to usability test this stuff and make it as simple simple as possible both electronically and so the user can understand what they're seeing if there are multiple tickets.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:28:13 pm »
Huzzah for the £10 Senior Railcard using Clubcard wowchers a shame you can't use it for the Network Railcard as my son currently also gets the 16-25 one also for £10 but won't be able to next year. Yes you can also get a plastic one posted. I still buy all my train tickets old skool using the various TOC websites and printing the ticket at my local station; they never ask for proof of Railcard.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:31:10 pm »
Well, I've bought one and downloaded the Railcard app for it to live in. I thought I'd better buy it now that I've got the tickets else I'd only forget before I travel in August and that would be Embarrassing.

I'm old and grey. I'll report back to see if I get it checked.

my 85yo Mum was asked to show her Senior Railcard, it's not that they doubted her age they just wanted to make sure she had the card.

I thought the ticket machines at Gatwick were set to rip you off until I realised I was trying to buy 2 discounted tickets with 1 SR, wasn't an issue with the Gold Card (commuting, what's that?) as you could buy up to 4

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:13:57 pm »
I'm a youngish person and I don't want a virtual railcard. Don't trust technology At All and phone batteries do go flat or whatever.
I think they really need to usability test this stuff and make it as simple simple as possible both electronically and so the user can understand what they're seeing if there are multiple tickets.

this…

D calls me a Luddite but he has had battery, reception and phone fail on his travels. He is abled, with no dexterity issues.

I'm paying extra for Orange Card tickets, which irks but I don't trust the technology either!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2022, 10:31:06 pm »
I frequently travel by train with a bicycle; I don't want to be faffing with my phone in one hand and a loaded bike in another, because that's a recipe for the bike falling over as you try to pick up the phone you just dropped.  At least you can tuck orange cardboard in the side pocket of your tri-bag or hold it in your teeth or whatever while you wrangle the bike.

Ticket apps should ideally do something clever and NFCish with the inspector's gadget [Not to be confused with Inspector Gadget - Ed], so the user doesn't have to do the Right Thing with the app to present their ticket for inspection.  I expect Apple and/or Google to invent a standard way of doing this about 10 years late, due to the general lack of public transport in USAnia.  Bonus points if it's done in hardware that can be accessed by NFC while the phone is powered off.