Author Topic: Tandem LE_JOG  (Read 4842 times)

Tandem LE_JOG
« on: 29 September, 2011, 01:18:57 pm »
James Cracknell and Jerry Waters are due to Start from Lands End at 0300 Sat.They are due at Preston at 2203.I am timekeeper for this attempt which also includes 12hr,24hr and 1000 mile records.
Schedule is at www.project7racing.com
Progress is at http://rocket2.mapmytracks.com

Re: Tandem LE_JOG
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2011, 01:30:44 pm »
That's a much softer record than the mixed record Cracknell and Rebecca Romero went for. I'm interested in the RRA 24 Hour record. I wonder how that compares to the outright Tandem CTT record. Any idea who holds that Rod? Or does modesty forbid.

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »
RRA Tandem 24hr record is 492 miles by Bailey and Forrest 1959

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »
RRA Tandem 24hr record is 492 miles by Bailey and Forrest 1959

So just a bit short of the National 24 record set in 1991 by a pairing called the Goodfellows at 501.35 miles, that on an out and back course, rather than one way.
I'd be happier calling the likely performance of these two if they'd done something like the Mersey Roads. Does anyone know what they have done?

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »
Good luck to them both. Hope the weather stays good for them.

So just a bit short of the National 24 record set in 1991 by a pairing called the Goodfellows at 501.35 miles, that on an out and back course, rather than one way.

;D One of which was a R(od?) Goodfellow, from South Lancashire, where Blackburn is. ;D

I'd be happier calling the likely performance of these two if they'd done something like the Mersey Roads. Does anyone know what they have done?

Yes. I think there's a tradition of End to Enders testing their mettle on the Mersey 24. I don't remember seing either of their names in either 24 this year, or in any other year, not that I have a good memory for names.
Cracknell rode a 12 hour on the same course as the Mersey 24 this year. Blackburnrod probably knows something about that.

As an aside, it'd be good to see John Warnock have a crack at a solo End to End. He's probably fast enough and looks very strong at the end of a 24. On a good day, I reckon he'd have a very good chance.

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »
Cracknell and Waters did 281 in the Nat. 12hr this year.
 By the way,Blackburn is in north Lancashire and is the home of the North Lancs RC

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »
I tracked those results down, I hadn't realised that Sean Yates was riding 12s. I wonder what he'd do in a 24?
The Cracknell / Waters result certainly looks consistent with them being able to crack the record. Where will you be in Preston Rod? I might take a trip out.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2011, 08:26:28 pm »
In one of the 5 following BMW vehicles.

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »
I tracked those results down, I hadn't realised that Sean Yates was riding 12s. I wonder what he'd do in a 24?
The Cracknell / Waters result certainly looks consistent with them being able to crack the record. Where will you be in Preston Rod? I might take a trip out.

I think that Sean Yates has a pacemaker. Never met him in person, but seeing him on Tour de France coverage, he doesn't appear to be anything like as strong as he was. I read about the 12 hour last night. Apparently, SY rode very hard and did well.
I'm hoping that what Wilko said on your You Tube happens, that Mike Hutchinson rides a 24. I remember him blasting past me into a stiff headwind on the Icknield 12 about 5 years ago, so I know he can do a good 12. It'd be good to see Sean Yates ride a 24, but I don't think he's anything like what he was in his day. He'd still beat me by a good few miles though. ;D

I'm looking forward to see how the tandem ride compares with the schedule. 26mph through Cornwall sounds mad to me allthough I expect this schedule was written by those who have written schedules for previous record breakers. I think that's the first End to End schedule I've seen. Gethin Butler was doing about 25 with a good tailwind and I thought and still think, that was amazing. All I remember of the A30 is huge hills where I'm either doing 4mph climbing or 45mph descending. I reckon it's the toughest bit of the whole ride, as far as terrain goes.
Later in the ride it looks as if there's a chance for them to get back on schedule if they fall behind. Hard to know when they haven't done a 24 so it'll be interesting to see how they go on day and night no.2.

Thanks for the tip off blackburnrod. I'll be looking into this ride over the weekend.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2011, 12:18:04 am »
I think that Sean Yates has a pacemaker. Never met him in person, but seeing him on Tour de France coverage, he doesn't appear to be anything like as strong as he was. I read about the 12 hour last night. Apparently, SY rode very hard and did well.

He did 281.2 miles in the national 12.

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:54:35 am »
122.5 miles in 6 hours 1 minute. Quite a way behind their schedule allready. Hopefully it was the hills that slowed them down. They are stil just over evens though at 20.3mph, which I think is good going along the A30. If their legs are good, I reckon they should claw some of it back very soon once they get on the A38. Real good road for a tandem. In my mind, the 12 hour is looking a bit doubtfull, but the other 3 records still look possible.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2011, 04:10:38 pm »
In Worcester, 255.5 miles in 13.04.30 at 19.6mph. 

They're 25 miles short of the 12 hour record after 13 hours on the road, and 80 minutes behind their schedule.  They're also very near the start of my first ever really long ride, the Spa Trek 600, so I'm getting all misty eyed.

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
If the website is right (it seems to have glitches, the average speed shows as 0 and they've burned an implausible amount of calories!) and they have done 280 miles now, it looks as if the 24 hour record is out too. They'd need another 220 miles in under 9 hours, which given their progress so far, looks very unlikely. Perhaps the schedule shown was based on sheer optimism if they had a good tailwind. I expect that the main aim is the E2E and 1000 miles.
Their speed has dropped a bit, but I'm guessing that's becuse they stopped rather than it being fatigue. At least, that's what I hope.
If they can manage another 138 miles in the next 8 hours, which should be relatively easy for them, then they'll have 27 hours to do the last 417 miles for the E2E and just about clinch it.
I think it'll be a close one if it happens.

« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
I'm currently weighing up the Style v Substance ratio, to decide whether to venture out the 1,000 metres from my home to the nearest vantage point for this attempt.

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »
I'm currently weighing up the Style v Substance ratio, to decide whether to venture out the 1,000 metres from my home to the nearest vantage point for this attempt.

If I only had to travel 1000 meters to see them, I certainly would venture out!

They're picking up speed again. :thumbsup:
Should be half way at around 1am by my reckoning. Maybe even earlier.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
They were in Trentham* at 1930 hrs.

* not far from J15,M6 motorway

« Reply #16 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »
One timekeeper I spoke to is of the opinion that they won't make it.

a) It's too late in the year.
b) He wasn't overly impressed with their organisation.

« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with them. I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make Inverness. It'd be good for them to prove me wrong though.
Gethin Butler rode his in September and did rather well.

« Reply #18 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:55:38 pm »
saw them at Stone - just south of Stoke - must have been just short of 7-30 -  they were around an hour behind schedule

Jim Hopper was officially observing. Me and my littlest daughter Isobel were stood in the roundabout. Wife was at the side of the road. and the greyhound (Finn) was relaxing as usual

they didnt look to be going terrifically well, but i hope they do it

well worth the 40 minute drive over - for the 10second glimpse  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #19 on: 02 October, 2011, 12:21:33 am »
They should pass halfway before 2am, just short of 23 hours.  They'll then have to do about 415 miles in the last 27 hours.  It looks like TG's right on the money.  It's going to be close - time for me to go to bed, gnaw my nails* and see what the score looks like in the morning.

*in order to save weight for tomorrow's hillclimb

« Reply #20 on: 02 October, 2011, 12:43:55 am »
Their average overall has been steadily dropping for the last few hours, so they are probably quite a bit slower than their average. Not looking good IMO. Still have the speed stealing early hours to do and even if they don't lose too much they'll need to speed up again

I'd better get some sleep now too. Mr Bunbury isn't the only one with a hill climb to do.

« Reply #21 on: 02 October, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
Average speed between 2am and 8am was about 15mph. Still in with a chance if they can average 15 (and a little bit) all the way to the finish. But that would include stops.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #22 on: 02 October, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »
220 miles left with 14 hours to go.  That requires a 15.7mph average from now on.  Suddenly, my hillclimb doesn't seem as hard as it felt!

EDIT  Here's something from their Twitter feed

RT @spokesmen: Call to #rocket2 crew chief to check on the boys. Crank break and puncture drama on the Forth Bridge but they are banging out 20mph now

EDIT 2

12 hours, 180 miles to go.  They've sped up and now only need a 15mph average, but they're about to ride through the night, and the terrain is not the easiest.  Exciting!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #23 on: 02 October, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »
It's still possible but it's gonna be close  :-\
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #24 on: 02 October, 2011, 08:14:52 pm »
Looks like they need to maintain about 15.7mph for the rest of the ride.  They are approaching the climb over Slochd summit. After that, they should make good time down to Inverness, over the Black Isle and up past Invergordon to Tain (a stretch used for 12hr TTs) and Brora before they hit the serious climbs at Helmsdale and Berriedale. If these climbs don't slow them too much..... fingers crossed. :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.