Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428497 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1325 on: 12 March, 2019, 09:56:08 am »
Put the bins out last night in the usual spot next to the drive.

Gosh, it's windy isn't it? I know, I'll place this brick on the lid to weigh it down.

1am - I am woken by a clatter and bang. I pull the curtain to see the bin has fallen over by the car. After a moment, I decide to get up and tidy it up as I didn't want a fox or cat getting at it and have my rubbish decorating the cul-de-sac.

Get out there in my jimjams (it's raining too!) and notice that my ingenious bin tie-down device had been flung from the bin as it fell, hitting my car on the front wing.

A nice dent and scratch.

I'm such a fecking div!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1326 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
Quote from: Angry People In Local Newspapers
BINNNNNSSSSSS!!!!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1327 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:52:43 am »
Tomorrow I'm not working, so this morning when I woke to the alarm, I turned it off. Then with some joy reset it to a later time for tomorrow. At 7:30 I got a text from my wife about the "bloody alarm"...   :-[ ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1328 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:29:18 pm »
Yesterday I didn't leap out of bed (still recovering from D&V, virus-induced). I got up, had a shower, dressed, battled the gale and rain to the train station and went to work.

Nothing terribly divvish about that, you might say.

Oh, but there is, because when I left the house, I shut the bedroom door. And when I shut the bedroom door, I didn't look under the bed. If I had looked under the bed (rather than glancing round the room), I would have seen the cat.

Therefore preventing myself from getting home last night, opening the bedroom door to be greeted by a cat and a stench of cat piss. Emanating from the bed. Rather than piss on the floor, the cat had chosen to piss on the duvet (comprehensively, through it, soaking the duvet, sheet, mattress padding and mattress.

So I spent last night washing bedding, scrubbing mattress, and sleeping in freezing cold room (windows open to help room dry out and dispel the smell).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1329 on: 16 March, 2019, 09:33:19 am »
Scrabbling round to find my wallet this morning.
Looked in all the usual places.
Nothing.
Oh! Those trousers on the clothes horse?
The ones which had a 40°C wash last night.

Money laundering.
Again  ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1330 on: 17 March, 2019, 02:50:51 pm »
Having retaped the Trek's bars I searched the workshop for 10 minutes for the Bontrager buttbar plug I must have flicked off the bench when removing the old tape. Then found it still in the bar end. ;D

ETA: Also, broke a piece of the bar-end fixing of my Zefal mirror, ordered a new one then managed to fit the old one. Well, it's a bit scratched.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1331 on: 19 March, 2019, 12:38:51 am »
Following on from https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10706.msg2379046#msg2379046 I've just spent a couple of hours wanking about in re-learning gnuplot, because spreadsheets are universally awful (and infuriatingly slow) at graphing large datasets.

Having achieved a beautiful plot of my non-compliant electricity supply in a perfectly good postscript file (for ease of throwing at Ye Olde Laserjet), I had a go at generating a SVG for general showing-off purposes.  Unfortunately, it had passed midnight and, in a moment of filetype aphasia, I generated an empty CSV file over the top of my source data.  For maximum divvishness I'd also over-enthusiastically tidied up the multimeter's SD card while I had it in the computer, so that was my only copy.

Sometimes the universe has a way of telling you to go to bed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1332 on: 19 March, 2019, 08:54:03 am »
Without any supper at that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1333 on: 19 March, 2019, 10:03:28 am »
Scrabbling round to find my wallet this morning.
Looked in all the usual places.
Nothing.
Oh! Those trousers on the clothes horse?
The ones which had a 40°C wash last night.

Money laundering.
Again  ::-)
You need some antimony!
(see Grammar thread)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1334 on: 21 March, 2019, 03:49:26 pm »
So last week I organised a set of training for today, back in my base office. Nicely booked the meeting and meeting room in the outlook calendar as is the normal practice for my client location.....

and completely forgot that meeting rooms in my home office have to be booked through reception  :facepalm:

Arrived at work this morning to a worried receptionist as my presenter had arrived mentioned the meeting room but it had been booked for someone else. Further there were no available meeting rooms in the entire building. We ended up meeting in one of the breakout areas into which the facilities team deployed one of the plasma screens to display everything.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1335 on: 25 March, 2019, 12:05:25 pm »
Booked a coach ticket for a late April trip to Cardiff.  In the process of adjusting variables I failed to notice the travel date returned to a system default.  Anyone want to travel to Cardiff this Thursday?  :facepalm:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1336 on: 25 March, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1337 on: 25 March, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Booked a train ticket via thetrainline.com from Paddington to Exeter for the Back to the Smoke 400. Phoned GWR to make bike reservation. All good. No divviness so far.

Went to pick up proof of bike reservation from Paddington, noticed a timing discrepancy between my ticket and the bike reservation. Showed my e-ticket to the nice woman behind counter. She pointed out that my ticket was for the SW service from Waterloo, not the GWR from Paddington.

Usual story of looking too closely at the price rather than any other details of what I was actually booking. I have form for this - once accidentally booked a return flight from Spain on the wrong day because I was distracted by the fact that it was cheaper than the day I was intending to travel - on that occasion, I had to pay substantially more than the price difference to amend the booking, of course.

Fortunately, when I phoned SW, they still had bike spaces available on the train I'm travelling on. Just as well I made the effort to pick up my bike reservation ticket in plenty of time, not leave it to the last minute, so maybe I'm not such a div after all!

And the ticket only cost £15, so I can't complain about that either (though obviously I was too late making my booking to get a cheap ticket on the faster GWR service).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #1338 on: 25 March, 2019, 04:10:02 pm »
I have booked a train ticket for my daughter to come up and visit at Easter.
On the mobile app on my phone.
That's where the ticket is.
Fuck.

sib

« Reply #1339 on: 25 March, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »
@fboab
did you use trainline ?
apparently you can forward the confirmation to your daughters email and she can access if she has the app ?
HTH

« Reply #1340 on: 25 March, 2019, 06:37:35 pm »
Nope- Northern. It's a mobile ticket.

PaulF

« Reply #1341 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:45:52 pm »
If its a QR code then you can take a screen shot of it and send it on to her; that will open the gates. I use that because the the GWR app is so c@rp that it “loses”my ticket ‘twin train and gate.

PaulF

« Reply #1342 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:49:00 am »
If its a QR code then you can take a screen shot of it and send it on to her; that will open the gates. I use that because the the GWR app is so c@rp that it “loses”my ticket ‘twin train and gate.

But the eTicket facility proved very useful when I got to Paddington this morning to find I'd bought a ticket for tomorrow :facepalm: Fortunately I could use the app to buy a ticket for a train leaving Didcot a few minutes later and exited the gate 2 minutes before the train left Didcot.

« Reply #1343 on: 26 March, 2019, 10:44:14 am »
But the eTicket facility proved very useful when I got to Paddington this morning to find I'd bought a ticket for tomorrow :facepalm: Fortunately I could use the app to buy a ticket for a train leaving Didcot a few minutes later and exited the gate 2 minutes before the train left Didcot.

I do this regularly.  I go to a lot of court cases with a defined start but undefined finish so generally buy a single to the court and then buy my return ticket walking from court to train station, often actually on the concourse as i see which train i can manage to get.

PaulF

« Reply #1344 on: 26 March, 2019, 10:53:39 am »

I do this regularly.  I go to a lot of court cases with a defined start but undefined finish so generally buy a single to the court and then buy my return ticket walking from court to train station, often actually on the concourse as i see which train i can manage to get.

Yes, but Paddington was my destination and I'd already traveled by the time I discovered I had no ticket. Because it was so early the barriers were open at Didcot and there were no inspectors.

« Reply #1345 on: 26 March, 2019, 12:43:04 pm »
Northern e-tickets aren't a QR code- you activate them in the app - and this journey involves 2 changes.
It's a really handy system. Unless you're not actually the person travelling. I think I have to go and talk to a person about it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1346 on: 26 March, 2019, 11:14:50 pm »
In my defence, if the tube had been lying the other way up, I’d probably have noticed that it was labelled Germolene, not Colgate...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1347 on: 27 March, 2019, 08:32:39 am »
In my defence, if the tube had been lying the other way up, I’d probably have noticed that it was labelled Germolene, not Colgate...

;D ;D ;D

(sorry)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1348 on: 27 March, 2019, 11:02:40 am »
Ask me who dropped his new motorbike putting it in the shed. Were it not for the intervention of #1 son I'd probably still be under it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1349 on: 27 March, 2019, 11:59:30 am »
Well, somebody's got to.....How's the bike?