Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 445285 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2825 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:24:18 pm »
YMMV...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2826 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:29:04 pm »
I am confused as to why someone would open the door on a washing machine that has finished it's run, but then not be immediately hung out to dry.

I think I know the answer to this one, it's because the washer is still on it's default setting of 'make a bloody annoying noise after the program is finished' and I haven't yet fettled it to STFU mode.
And the not hanging out to dry bit is cos it's not me.

« Reply #2827 on: 06 November, 2021, 08:57:50 am »
I am confused as to why someone would open the door on a washing machine that has finished it's run, but then not be immediately hung out to dry.

I think I know the answer to this one, it's because the washer is still on it's default setting of 'make a bloody annoying noise after the program is finished' and I haven't yet fettled it to STFU mode.

We have a half-way house method if not immediately being hung out. It gets pulled out into the washing basket, where it will happily sit overnight without getting in the least bit musty smelling. There’s no apparent way to get our machine to STFU but it does give up after about 20 repeats.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2828 on: 06 November, 2021, 10:35:03 am »
We have a half-way house method if not immediately being hung out. It gets pulled out into the washing basket, where it will happily sit overnight without getting in the least bit musty smelling. There’s no apparent way to get our machine to STFU but it does give up after about 20 repeats.

This does not match my experience.

Why would someone design something like that? My machine sings a tune when it's done, but it only takes about 5 seconds to play. Then it's silent. It's a washing machine, not an oven timer, why does it need to alert you so urgently?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2829 on: 06 November, 2021, 11:28:19 am »
Our washing machine beeps on finishing and then beeps every 90 seconds or so for 10 minutes. I find it can be muted reasonably well by the removal of my hearing aids  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2830 on: 06 November, 2021, 11:31:44 am »
Our washing machine beeps on finishing and then beeps every 90 seconds or so for 10 minutes. I find it can be muted reasonably well by the removal of my hearing aids  ;D

Tell me the designer of this machine does not do the laundry at home, without telling me the designer of this machine doesn't do the laundry at home.

What a stupid fucked up design that is!?

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2831 on: 06 November, 2021, 11:43:42 am »
It's a perfectly reasonable design for someone who doesn't want to forget that they need to hang up a wash load.  It needs to keep going for a while, because you might be in another room or have music on.  Or you might have ADHD, or have your short term memory erased by the stairs.

This is all fine[1], as long as there's a setting to disable the beeps.  Which was the first thing I did when I installed ours, along with enabling extra rinse by default.  (I prefer to set a timer that produces a visual alert.  If it didn't require a game of whitegoods Sokoban to access the mains socket for the washing machine, I'd probably add a smart plug to detect the end of the cycle automatically.)

[1] For "everything beeps at 1kHz" values of 'fine'.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2832 on: 06 November, 2021, 11:46:26 am »
Yes. I think it's good that it tells you it's finished but then when it keeps periodically reminding I end up shouting "alright, I heard you the first time" at it.

I think Pingu's waiting for me to RTFM to disable it, but I did all that for deciphering the programs and was bored by that point.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2833 on: 06 November, 2021, 12:07:15 pm »
Lucky we haven't gotten and item that plays a "tune" yet. The ones I have heard online would have cause me to buy a sledgehammer rather fast.

Please Please Please stop this silliness. Here's a good podcast about it - https://www.20k.org/episodes/domesticsymphony (listen to the horror at 9:15'ish arrgghhh) Not everything needs a sound logo / soundmarks - https://www.20k.org/episodes/soundmarks

Yes I understand the reason and kinda welcome it. But please use better sounds/speakers not them beeping single tones one. At the very least have a quick way to mute this nonsense.

It's right up there with the youth some years ago using their mono and mini speakers on their mobiles to play music. Please save up to get a good set of bluetooth speakers (as I often don't mind the music they are playing, just what they are played on) or put you ears on.

The first thing I do when I get a new item or OS/PC is to go mute all these notification, they are doing my head in.

It's not that hard to look at our washing machine to see if it running and/or in the need to be emptied, I don't need "music" on a tinny speakers.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2834 on: 06 November, 2021, 12:44:49 pm »
I have my Makita battery charger set to play a tune when it finishes, because unlike the simple beep option it contains frequencies I can hear over woodworking noises.  Barakta informs me that it's out of tune, by which I infer it's not using a crystal oscillator as a clock reference.

TBH, if things are going to make audio alerts, it's better to be distinctive, and not another 1kHz square wave. But mostly it's best not to bother.

« Reply #2835 on: 06 November, 2021, 12:56:33 pm »
Our washing machine plays a (somewhat annoying) tune, loudly enough for me to hear it from upstairs or the front room, but it shuts up after 5 or 10 seconds.

It also talks to the internet, and I've been finding app control surprisingly useful - I quite like being able to turn it on while I'm out, so that the cycle finishes shortly before I get home, or I can set an extra spin without having to actually go to the kitchen. It's also easier to adjust things like number of rinses or temperature through the app, or at any rate it gives you more options than through the machine's control panel.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2836 on: 06 November, 2021, 01:30:32 pm »
My washing machine plays a little three-note ditty when it finishes, once only, but then it’s well into its third decade of life and doesn’t subscribe to this modern-type notification fad.  And it's inaudible unless you're in the Sheds anyway.  On the other hand, I wish the end beep on the oven was louder, like that of its predecessor, as the current one cannot be heard from the Great Hall if the telly is on.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2837 on: 06 November, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
I went back and looked at the instuctions again and I can change the volume of the finish beeps from 0 to very loud but I cannot change the number of times it reminds.

ian

« Reply #2838 on: 07 November, 2021, 06:26:05 pm »
I'm not allowed to touch the washing machine so it's been a while since I've tried to wrestle one of the devices. I think about 2008 when my wife worked in NJ for long enough that I ran out of pants (I swear I must have a hundred pairs of pants, I don't know why, but it's handy when you're under a life-long washing machine sanction).

« Reply #2839 on: 07 November, 2021, 08:44:59 pm »
My machine (Bosch) was designed by someone who thought they were designing a smoke alarm. You can adjust the volume but not the persistence. It’s a washer/dryer, so there’s zero urgency to unload it. Unless it actually is on fire.

I’ve never encountered a toaster that beeps when finished, even though cold toast is as bad as stinky laundry.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2840 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:18:03 pm »
My machine (Bosch) was designed by someone who thought they were designing a smoke alarm. You can adjust the volume but not the persistence. It’s a washer/dryer, so there’s zero urgency to unload it. Unless it actually is on fire.

I’ve never encountered a toaster that beeps when finished, even though cold toast is as bad as stinky laundry.

Kitchen Aid toaster has a mild "ding" when it's done, and toast rises from the slot . . .  if you don't take the toasted slice out after a while it lowers it back down and has a "keep it warm" function

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2841 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:29:24 pm »
Isn't the mechanical sound of toast ejection enough?  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2842 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:41:24 pm »
Shirley this is what the smoke alarm is for?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2843 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:45:11 pm »
Shirley this is what the smoke alarm is for?

No smoke alarm going off means it's salad for dinner...

J
--

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2844 on: 08 November, 2021, 03:49:15 pm »
Smoke alarm? Do you mean the thing the tells me I’m cooking bacon? I’ve often wondered why I needed an alarm for that.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

« Reply #2845 on: 08 November, 2021, 04:59:41 pm »
Isn't the mechanical sound of toast ejection enough?  ???

The toast doesn't "pop up" - it ascends gracefully and almost silently, with the ding as the lift mechanism stops  :)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2846 on: 08 November, 2021, 05:09:07 pm »
My toaster requires manual intervention to raise the contents of the slot although there is a satisfying clunk when the timer switches off the elements.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2847 on: 08 November, 2021, 06:51:49 pm »
I’m feeling left out here, my washing machine just stops making a noise at the end of the cycle, then clicks when the door can be unlatched.  A little green light lights up as well.  Do you think this could catch on ?

Smoke alarms…… none of the ones in my parents house were working. Over 20 years old & painted over a couple of times.  I know what I’m going to be installing on my next visit.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

« Reply #2848 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:57:11 pm »
My toaster requires manual intervention to raise the contents of the slot although there is a satisfying clunk when the timer switches off the elements.

That sounds as if it's a Dualit toaster?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2849 on: 08 November, 2021, 10:13:08 pm »

Smoke alarms…… none of the ones in my parents house were working. Over 20 years old & painted over a couple of times.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: