Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2015  (Read 34635 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2015
« Reply #50 on: 27 January, 2015, 10:02:05 am »
The info sheet emailed out made mention of sleeping provision at Menai, and thought this made a lot of sense to me in terms of distance and coming at the right time for a sleep (for me anyway)...

Is that this year's info sheet? Have checked my spam...
Mojo is being awakened.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #51 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:08:43 pm »
Yeah, got my email with route sheet and event notes on NY's day this year.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #52 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:08:55 pm »
I had a 30-minute kip at Maentwrog last year — that set me up nicely for the climb over Trawsfynydd to Kings.  Also used my helmet as a pillow — surprisingly comfortable, although a little chilly   :facepalm:

Not riding it this year: diary clash.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #53 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:36:58 pm »
I will be riding this for the first time. Really quite nervous trying to pack in 619km into 40 hours! Plan is to ride 400km to Menai Dollgellau then kip for 3-4 hours and then set off at dawn Sunday till we finish. Sounds good?

« Reply #54 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:54:08 pm »
Menai is 300k, Dolgellau is 400k.

I've just posted off an entry, which is a change of plan as I was going to ride the ride the Brimstone. However, that would have meant about £70 in accommodation and £40 in fuel.

I will probably try and book some accommodation somewhere near Beddgelert on the return and try and batter it up and back, then rise early to get to Dolgellau before closing. Don't care what time I finish, but it always seems to be 5.30pm regardless of how slow/fast I go.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
The info sheet emailed out made mention of sleeping provision at Menai, and thought this made a lot of sense to me in terms of distance and coming at the right time for a sleep (for me anyway)...

From what I recall 2014 @ Menai there was floor space in corners to stretch out on but little else; and lights on, people coming going so wasn`t really a dedicated sleep stop ---Kings was set up as sleep stop `proper`; Aberhasfep also had mats behind stage curtain for a lie down / recovery.

I believe that info sheet needs updating! I first rode in '08,  and expected facilities at Menai - I believe there WAS a quiet/dark stage area in the hall upto 2007. then the hall was renovated, then the ride switched to another hall (double booking?). Pretty sure the Info sheet _still_ mentioned "Z" there in 2012.

I did manage a nap at Menai/300k that year,  but I would generally prefer to sleep later on a 600. Preferably at about 350k - hence Kings/400k tends to feel QuiteALongWay. But hey - its all swings and roundabouts ...

These facts may only be a partial depiction of the truth.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #56 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:01:37 pm »
Or just do what I did and be slow enough that you get precisely no time to sleep at all.  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #57 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:22:41 pm »
Well that has stirred me into action.  I'm now booked into the Royal Goat Hotel in Beddgelert.  Plan: hammertime all the way to Menai Bridge. Then back to Beddgelert.  Pint. Bed by 10pm.  Fitful night of lying in bed tossing and turning, but at least not accompanied by the rasping of other people's snoring, and the soft hiss of gaseous escape. Get up at 5am. Breakfast in Dollgellau.

Easy.

« Reply #58 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:27:16 pm »
OK, managed to just scrape in under the wire, so I'm up for BCM fun and plan to go fully scenic with a 100% upright habit this time.

BTW route wise anyone fancy the `scenic ` climb out of Newtown via Middle Dolfor road rather than A470 ? I did the Lower Dolfor last year and it was OK and now wonder about the higher road---great views  ;D

Maybe, but I might need to shed a bit of lard first and only if you fancy going over the Elan on the Saturday. If it's not on the route sheet, that is.

Last years Highlights.......

Sunday morning at Kings YHA. Bike Apocalypse.

Simon T at the top of The Elan Valley....Why would you want to miss this and ride on an A road instead ?

Say no more. Never again shall I fall asleep on a pushbike.

General idea (for better or worse !) is to repeat Elan Valley and Nant Y Moch scenic bits as per 2014 and do Middle Dolfor Road instead A470  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #59 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:29:32 pm »
Well that has stirred me into action.  I'm now booked into the Royal Goat Hotel in Beddgelert.  Plan: hammertime all the way to Menai Bridge. Then back to Beddgelert.  Pint. Bed by 10pm.  Fitful night of lying in bed tossing and turning, but at least not accompanied by the rasping of other people's snoring, and the soft hiss of gaseous escape. Get up at 5am. Breakfast in Dollgellau.

Easy.

Royal Goats an OK place, but just ONE pint  ???
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #60 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:15:23 pm »
I posted an entry :)

« Reply #61 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »

From what I recall 2014 @ Menai there was floor space in corners to stretch out on but little else; and lights on, people coming going so wasn`t really a dedicated sleep stop ---Kings was set up as sleep stop `proper`; Aberhasfep also had mats behind stage curtain for a lie down / recovery.

I believe that info sheet needs updating! I first rode in '08,  and expected facilities at Menai - I believe there WAS a quiet/dark stage area in the hall upto 2007. then the hall was renovated, then the ride switched to another hall (double booking?). Pretty sure the Info sheet _still_ mentioned "Z" there in 2012.

I did manage a nap at Menai/300k that year,  but I would generally prefer to sleep later on a 600. Preferably at about 350k - hence Kings/400k tends to feel QuiteALongWay. But hey - its all swings and roundabouts ...

These facts may only be a partial depiction of the truth.

Menai control changed in 2012, up until 2011 the church hall/visitor centre was used, which did have a small stage area for unofficial sleep. 2012 saw a change of venue to the scout hall. This consists of one big room for eating. Those tired enough could use the floor.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #62 on: 28 January, 2015, 06:51:24 am »
General idea (for better or worse !) is to repeat Elan Valley and Nant Y Moch scenic bits as per 2014 and do Middle Dolfor Road instead A470  :thumbsup:

OK, sounds like a good plan to me, for a while I was wondering if you were thinking about riding Upper Dolfor Road.

« Reply #63 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:18:49 am »

...... ... ..... , for a while I was wondering if you were thinking about riding Upper Dolfor Road.
You should -it'll save you time and distance  :demon:

But have a look at the map, you'll find a route that's even shorter,  and probably more time saved.  :smug:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #64 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:25:44 am »
I think the calculation was........

energy expenditure x (100/time saved) = Scenery gain %

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #65 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:42:23 am »

Easy.

Royal Goats an OK place, but just ONE pint  ???

Pint is to plurals as is the word sheep ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #66 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:46:49 am »

Simon T at the top of The Elan Valley....Why would you want to miss this and ride on an A road instead ?

Well speaking from a personal point of view - I'd love to do that but have done the Elan Valley on other routes and when I'm ground into walking up the climbs to Knighton and Llancloudy by the end then I made the tactical decision that there was already enough climbing for my good self.

I might do this if I manage to shed a decent number of pounds this year.  The alternative is just a grind uphill for 40 miles whilst contesting with fast motorbikes and cars right enough - that bit is the only poor memory of the ride from last year for me.

« Reply #67 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:51:35 am »
The main A road to avoid where possible is the A44, which is the main route for artics delivering to Aberystwyth. It's sometimes called the most dangerous road in Wales. The Elan Valley would cut out some of the worst of this road.

caerau

« Reply #68 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:03:23 am »
I don't really remember it feeling dangerous I have to say I've had more hair-raising experiences elsewhere  - my memory is more of the unrelenting grind uphill for - yeah - about 40 miles continuously.  That was soul destroying.

« Reply #69 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:12:30 am »
The main A road to avoid where possible is the A44, which is the main route for artics delivering to Aberystwyth. It's sometimes called the most dangerous road in Wales. The Elan Valley would cut out some of the worst of this road.

being a Saturday though few artics more going to beach drivers; it`s not a most dangerous road if you factor out the motor biker accident stats  ::-) the Aber race track !! Curiously enough I think A44 also ranks as top ten scenic drive routes in UK  ;D.

But I will choose Elan Valley cycling any day

« Reply #70 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:16:31 am »
Perception of danger is a personal thing, but the A44 does have a bit of a reputation. I don't know if there have been many cycling incidents or if its just head-on collisions due to unwise overtaking etc. And if I really do want to do a ride I will sometimes take a chance with a bit of road I'm not happy with. But if anyone is thinking of a more "scenic" alternative to a part of this road, this is another factor to consider.

caerau

« Reply #71 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:20:54 am »
Sure :)  I'm a heavy git  - you lot are mostly better at climbing than me so this is just the opinion of someone not built for extra climbing.
Yes I do remember a lot of fast bikes but they didn't put me in danger, mostly themselves I think, although of course you don't want to be on-scene when it all goes wrong for them.

« Reply #72 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:35:00 am »
Perception of danger is a personal thing, but the A44 does have a bit of a reputation. I don't know if there have been many cycling incidents or if its just head-on collisions due to unwise overtaking etc.

East of Rhayader is fine; West of Rhayader, certainly not.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #73 on: 28 January, 2015, 11:28:56 am »
To be fair, Caerau, I too avoid extra climbing and if I were doing the BCM (I'm not) I would stick to the A44 because of its gentle gradient.

« Reply #74 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »
Loving all the responses so far! Some good ideas to think about now. I didn't know there was a 40 mile climb!

Anyways one other question I have is that i need a good folding map of Wales so I can highlight the roads ready for when the GPS goes screwy which it will, any recommendations?