Author Topic: The Great Escape audax 2015 - 200km [London-Essex]  (Read 5031 times)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
Re: The Great Escape audax 2015 - 200km [London-Essex]
« Reply #25 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:07:22 pm »
Here is my brief report, also posted elsewhere...

After DNF'ing just before Great Dunmow on this ride last year, I'm glad I made it round in one piece this time so can put those demons to bed. Adamski and I managed a fairly respectable almost 22kph average all the way round, which given the start and end include 10 miles of London traffic, I'm pretty happy with. OK it was wind assisted to begin with so I thought my speed would drop off a lot after lunch but not really. My legs were feeling good by the end still and we didn't slow down all that much in the second half (excluding that climb out of Buckhurst hill - who put that there?).

However, I seem to be suffering again with food related issues where I get what I can only describe as a feeling like air bubbles trapped in my windpipe which causes searing pain between my shoulder blades. Once that happens, I can't really eat anymore and run out of energy and sure enough, I got to the end and knew I needed to eat but couldn't (this was what cased my DNF last year as I couldn't eat lunch). I have a feeling it might be from eating whilst riding - I'm wondering if I'm swallowing too much air doing that (I don't seem to get this issues on other non-audax rides where there isn't a time pressure so I don't eat on the move).

Anyway, that aside, it was a great day and food/back issues aside, I felt pretty strong all the way round. As the evidence ^ suggests I was even smiling most of the way round.

We bumped into a few cyclechatters on the way round at various points so it  nice to see so many familiar faces that I haven't seen in a while.

Not likes: all that resurfacing work going on so we were cycling on shingles for what seemed like ever. All those people who had no idea where they were or where they were going (no routesheets, no working garmins etc) who sucked my and Adam's wheels - I don't mind giving a tow to those who are suffering and need it, but these were all stronger riders than me who just needed navigators; they didn't talk to us they didn't even say hello; they just sucked the life out of me. As soon as they knew where they were they just sped off into the distance - not cool guys, not cool.

Likes: most of the route, even the bit back into town wasn't bad - I think given this is a central london audax a lot of thought has been put into making it the best it can be. The weather - I don't know what Islington CC did to ensure good weather two years in a row, but well done chaps.

BTW - is it just me or is this the least audax-feeling audax out there?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:44:52 am »
I've finally put my photos from this ride onto Picasa: click

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #27 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:01:55 am »
BTW - is it just me or is this the least audax-feeling audax out there?

Not just you - I really enjoyed the day out, and the ride, but it does have much more of a "sportive" feel than a "audax" feel.

I spent the second half shepherding a nice chap who had never audaxed before, and was trying a 200 for the first time. He had a route sheet, but was unsure of the way anyway. But he seemed happy with my full-value pace, and we did chat sociably, so I was happy to have the company. It felt more audaxy once all the racing cyclists had raced off... 

« Reply #28 on: 14 June, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »
Any news on when we might see the official results published?
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #29 on: 14 June, 2015, 06:35:01 pm »
WCW 600 was on results page within a day.  last week's Ditchling devil 200 results were put on today so this event is rather slow! ! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:29:26 am »
This is still a fairly new event and organiser, so self-validation (which seems to really speed up results posting for 200s) may not be possible, and of course it's not a PBP qualifier, for which a lot of people have been making extra efforts. It's not been a month quite yet ...

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 16 June, 2015, 12:54:11 am »
This is still a fairly new event and organiser, so self-validation (which seems to really speed up results posting for 200s) may not be possible, and of course it's not a PBP qualifier, for which a lot of people have been making extra efforts. It's not been a month quite yet ...

+1; stop trolling Arry-R  >:( we all know who you are IRL

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #32 on: 16 June, 2015, 07:08:09 am »
WCW 600 was on results page within a day.  last week's Ditchling devil 200 results were put on today so this event is rather slow! ! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

::-)

400 cards to sort through is a lorra cards. Especially when people don't self admin and number their grubby receipts.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #33 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:05:49 pm »
Results are now online: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2015/listevent/?Ride=15-251 but "only" 78 riders listed. I guess people didn't complete their cards and/or return them.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:58:00 pm »
We had very similar situations on the ditchling devil - riders who just want to have a nice day out and not bothered about validation at all. Some reports of 'my mate went straight home to kingston' (or wherever). Info controls were not of interest to a number of riders and they were not bothered enough to ask their friend who might have the answer etc.

I guess that is the double edged sword of these larger events.

None of them were at all unpleasant about it and were very complimentary about the event. But their need for AUK validation isn't there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #35 on: 19 June, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »
That fits with my experience last year - talking to some of the club riders, they almost scoffed at the idea they should care about validation, and were just short of suggesting that bothering about infos would get in the way of a nice day out.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #36 on: 19 June, 2015, 02:41:36 pm »
That fits with my experience last year - talking to some of the club riders, they almost scoffed at the idea they should care about validation, and were just short of suggesting that bothering about infos would get in the way of a nice day out.

So, a market opportunity to cater for those that don't want anything other than to pay for a route then? ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 20 June, 2015, 12:07:16 am »

So, a market opportunity to cater for those that don't want anything other than to pay for a route then? ;D

I used to see it a lot on my event; lots of riders (mostly non AUK members) just wanted a ride round and handed in blank cards at the end; doesn't make the ride look that popular when you aren't able to upload them as a finisher...

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #38 on: 13 July, 2015, 09:44:36 am »
Speaking of validation - I noticed the points for this ride aren't up on aukweb.net yet? Maybe I got an answer wrong...

« Reply #39 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:10:36 pm »
Yes they are: maybe you did ...

Hiss, boo ...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 14 July, 2015, 11:45:42 am »
Saw the thread and thought 'Why would you want to escape to Essex?' Looks like a good ride though – especially the picnic on a blanket!

As for not caring about validation, it seems a perfectly valid attitude to me. Obviously if you're skipping the final control it's considerate to let the organiser know, if only so they're not left waiting for someone who won't turn up, but it's just another in the many approaches to audax, surely? Randoneuring is an essentially meaningless activity which can take on any validity its participants choose to give it. That might be stamps in cards, chasing points, beating your mate to the next control or stuffing your face with cake, but it's just as valid to treat it as an enjoyable bike ride on a well-planned route (and be grateful to the organiser for that route). In which case, why stop to answer some obscure question en route?

Incidentally, many info controls are extremely boring. Weight limits and similar data from road signs or collection times from post boxes. It doesn't have to be this way. I remember one where we had to note down a particular name from a war memorial and another was the name of a house at the junction. These at least make you interact in some way with your surroundings, but the very best I've come across are on Barry's Bristol Ball Buster, where the answers are various names taped to roadside benches in strategic spots. But obviously most organisers don't have the manpower to add things to the landscape in that way and it must be hard to find easily answerable questions at points which also ensure the route has been followed, so this is just a comment, not a complaint.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 14 July, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »
Marmitegeoff wins the award for best info control answer (2015 edition) with "Vicar's name at $church?" "Steven Abram".  That was worth scouring a cluttered noticeboard for.   :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #42 on: 15 July, 2015, 08:34:52 am »
Saw the thread and thought 'Why would you want to escape to Essex?'

Coz Lundun's a horrid hole and Essex is quite nice, thank you very much.  :P

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:26:15 am »
The only bit of Essex I'm familiar with is round Colchester and it is actually rather lovely in that bucolic English easy-going way.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 15 July, 2015, 09:27:02 am »
Marmitegeoff wins the award for best info control answer (2015 edition) with "Vicar's name at $church?" "Steven Abram".  That was worth scouring a cluttered noticeboard for.   :thumbsup:
Our Lord of Perpetual Motion