Author Topic: Western Isles Audax 2015  (Read 12089 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Western Isles Audax 2015
« on: 17 December, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »
Dates for my 2015 events for those who are interested.

Saturday 27th June 2015 from Stornoway.
Golden Road and Standing Stones 300km
Hebridean Hundred 110km

Saturday 15th August 2015 from The Scaladale Centre, Harris
Harris Hilly 100km
Harris Hilly 160km

No Sunday 200km this time round, but a couple of new BP grimpeurs in Harris in August.

Re: Western Isles Audax 2015
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:48:57 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

These look good

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:49:13 pm »
Are these offered as perms?
Milk please, no sugar.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »
Are these offered as perms?

They could be done as GPS DIY, getting proof of passage for a standard perm would be difficult. Happy to pass on control details and GPX files.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »
Thanks.
Milk please, no sugar.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »
The 2 new Harris events.

160km http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6512865

100km http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5953383

These start at the Scaladale Centre and dorm accommodation is available

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2014, 01:25:07 pm »
Ach! I'm on Harris for the last week in July, so will mis the fun. I'd like to do the perms though - plus the ride in to Scaladale from Husinis.

Is that OK?

Mike

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »
Ach! I'm on Harris for the last week in July, so will mis the fun. I'd like to do the perms though - plus the ride in to Scaladale from Husinis.

Is that OK?

Mike

Happy to share any of my GPS routes for someone to use for a DIY - I did an SR series on the Island last year, including the 160km as a 200km ride (by adding on the leg to Rehnigadale and back, going to the road end on Scalpay, adding in the rest of the Golden Road and starting a mile or 2 further north than the Scaladale Centre). I also have a 200km from Stornoway that visits Scalpay and Gt Bernera, and a different version of the 300 that visits the Butt of Lewis first.

I'll try and get these loaded onto my website at some time in the future, but if you want any before I do, please feel free to send me a pm.

Ian

« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2014, 07:32:20 pm »
Hmmm if I can make the logistics work I'm interested in the 300...

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2014, 08:40:23 pm »
I really fancy the 300 too.

I might even get a lift up with my Mother-in-Law as she fancies driving round the 1300km route after seeing 'Sore in the Saddle' on TV.

Last time I planned to cycle to the Standing Stones with my ex-girlfriend in 1987, she got fed up with the ferocious headwind and torrential showers so we only got as far as Stornaway. We got blown back to Harris after a lengthy stop in a pub and managed to ride round the Golden Road the next day in better weather.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:17:20 pm »
Now, Mr. Windy.

I have to ask.
Does this ride go to *all* of the Western Isles?

;D

I'll be there regardless  ;D

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:21:41 pm »
Now, Mr. Windy.

I have to ask.
Does this ride go to *all* of the Western Isles?

;D

I'll be there regardless  ;D

;D

Not this one but working on a 600 that does ;-)

« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:38:05 pm »
I'm interested in the 300km ride.  Would travel Wednesday or Thursday to Inverness and ride to Ullapool.  Anyone fancy joining me in a Sleeper Cabin from Preston?  There's an offer for someone  :D
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »
You can get the train beyond Inverness as far as Garve, from where it's 32 miles to Ullapool.
That's a couple of hours ride.

Nearer the time, let's re-visit this and I may be able do a pick-up and transfer for a few people in passing.   I'll be in a 7-seater, with enough bike-rackage, but I don't know right now how many people I will already have.

R.

« Reply #14 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:21:57 am »
Having looked at trains up from the Deep South I was thinking of train up to Inverness on the Thursday, ride up to Ullapool on the Friday and get the ferry across, sleep somewhere, do the 300, sleep a bit more then get the ferry back, ride and train back on Monday... I'm figuring the ride from Inverness should be pretty and a good part of the adventure but that may be me romanticising Scotland!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
Once you get to Contin you are on the main road all the way. This is a fast and busy road at ferry time. All those caravans, campervans and lorries rushing to catch the ferry. 

Not awful, but a single carriageway with, at times, 80mph tafiic can be interesting. From just after Loch Glascarnoch it is pretty much downhill all the way.

as has been mentioned you can get a train to Garve, or there should be the bike bus running in the summer which will take you all the way, D&E Coaches run it.
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 18 December, 2014, 09:14:38 am »
That's cheaper than the cost of flying from the island to Glasgow  :-\

« Reply #18 on: 18 December, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »
What about train to Oban, ferry to Lochboisdale then cycle up the Outer isles?
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #19 on: 18 December, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »
What about train to Oban, ferry to Lochboisdale then cycle up the Outer isles?

This, or better ferry to Castlebay (Barra) if you've time

« Reply #20 on: 18 December, 2014, 01:09:11 pm »
Oban and Castle Bay Barra both offer stunning looking routes up to Stornaway, but over 100 miles each. Do you think we like cycling or something?

« Reply #21 on: 18 December, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »
Once you get to Contin you are on the main road all the way. This is a fast and busy road at ferry time. All those caravans, campervans and lorries rushing to catch the ferry. 

Not awful, but a single carriageway with, at times, 80mph tafiic can be interesting. From just after Loch Glascarnoch it is pretty much downhill all the way.

as has been mentioned you can get a train to Garve, or there should be the bike bus running in the summer which will take you all the way, D&E Coaches run it.

What's the ~160km route Inverness to Ullapool, via Bonar bridge like?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #22 on: 18 December, 2014, 01:51:41 pm »
You can get the train to Ardgay or Lairg. The back route from Ardgay is nice. If I was looking for a longer ride I'd go to Lochinver from Ardgay, then down to Drumrunie corner and into Ullapool that way. If I was even keener I'd  take in the Drumbeg Road, probably about 200km, cafe stops at Drumbeg and Inverkirkaig.

Actually 105 miles from Culrain station, taking in the most striking scenery in the UK.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #23 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »
That's a nice route. Its reasonable quality cycle paths along by the A9 and A835 to Dingwall, after that its all on pretty quiet minor roads. With a bit of a hill over the Struie.
A slightly longer option would be up the Black Isle, then across on the Cromarty ferry, then to Tain and Bonar Bridge etc (though check what times the ferry is running).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »

Don't know about the southern bit, but Lairg to Ullapool is fine - lovely. Not sure of the purpose of doing the Drumbeg road if you are trying to get from Inverness to Ullapool, but it does get it another mention. No mention of PBP though...
It is simpler than it looks.