Author Topic: Western Isles Audax 2015  (Read 12100 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Western Isles Audax 2015
« Reply #25 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:37:11 pm »
I've never cycled to or from Inverness, but have done the A835 as far as Contin. Another option from Inverness is the Beauly/Muir of Ord road and join the A835 just before Contin - again I've never cycled it so don't know what traffic is like.

I've done the 835 between Ledmore Junction and Ullapool (lovely road with a few big climbs but a bugger in a head wind) and I've done Lairg to Strathpeffer too (a climb over to Alness then a nice lane which runs parallel to the A9 to Dingwall) which was also a nice ride.

But I haven't done the bit between Bonar Bridge and Ledmore Junction (and I haven't cycled on the Black Isle).

« Reply #26 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »
If you're out for a circa 100 mile ride you might as well do the Drumbeg Road if you are in the area. I wouldn't bother with the A9, and going from Culrain keeps you off the main road until Oykel bridge.
I'd also visit the little quartzite gorge on the road to Kyelsku. It's a hidden gem, most are transfixed by the view of Quinag. This is the way into it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.2194168,-4.997501,3a,75y,125.98h,69.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPJhMIBujYEqe02DtJm_dlw!2e0?hl=en

The landscapes of Assynt and Coigach are similar to Harris and South Lewis, so you'd be getting two bites at the cherry by doing both.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 18 December, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »
I've never cycled to or from Inverness, but have done the A835 as far as Contin. Another option from Inverness is the Beauly/Muir of Ord road and join the A835 just before Contin - again I've never cycled it so don't know what traffic is like.

I've done the 835 between Ledmore Junction and Ullapool (lovely road with a few big climbs but a bugger in a head wind) and I've done Lairg to Strathpeffer too (a climb over to Alness then a nice lane which runs parallel to the A9 to Dingwall) which was also a nice ride.

But I haven't done the bit between Bonar Bridge and Ledmore Junction (and I haven't cycled on the Black Isle).
Windy,
Theres loads of good route tips on this thread - but a better place for them might be on your event website. Could attract some more entries from further afield (or just get some more cyclo-tourists onto your Isles :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #28 on: 18 December, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »
For Inverness to Muir of Ord, go across the Kessock Bridge, then a lovely little road along the north side of the firth to Redcastle. Then the A832 towards Contin is not too busy.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2015, 03:32:55 pm »
Finally got around to updating the event details for 2015on my Audax Hebrides website.

http://www.audaxhebrides.net/

Details for the 4 events are now complete with links to Ridewith GPS and the AUK calendar event page - General info pages next :)

June 27th -Stornoway 300km BR
                  Stornoway 110km BP

August 15th - Scaladale 160km BP AAA=2.75
                       Scaladale 100km BP AAA= 1.5

« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:53:43 pm »
I have entered the 300km on 27th June and booked a couple of days off work each side of that weekend.

Vague plan is to ride a DIY 200 each way from/to a suitable train station, possibly using some of the route tips up-thread.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:18:57 pm »

« Reply #32 on: 02 March, 2015, 04:58:14 pm »
Having looked at the Logistics of getting up to Inverness, then cycling to Ullapool by means of a DIY by GPS 200km, I've done a couple of routes.  A fellow Audaxer has mentioned Riding In, Riding, then Riding Out; so one for each way.

Route A  http://goo.gl/maps/t9EKU  204km via Bonar Bridge and Lochinver.

Route B    http://goo.gl/maps/NUuzE  201km via Gairloch.

The Only ferry on Sunday after the 300km arrives Ullapool 17:00 hrs.  Time for a feed, then a night ride back to Inverness, using Route B I think?  Lots of hours Day Light at that time of year, so not too much slower riding in the dark watching for pot holes.

Anyone else interested?  Train up during Wednesday / Thursday, midnight sleeper from Preston.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #33 on: 03 March, 2015, 10:15:09 pm »
Closest train stations to Ullapool are GARVE on the Kyle of Lochalsh line and LAIRG on the north (Wick and Thurso) line.  If I do this and go by train, GARVE will probably be my choice. 
For anyone cycling through Garve from Inverness, special care should be taken on the Contin to Garve stretch, which is twisty and not particularly wide and has some quite fast traffic, including the ferry traffic (although it may be quieter at the times DIYers would be passing through.) 
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

« Reply #34 on: 23 March, 2015, 07:04:39 am »
Booked on the 300km

Next move to book accommodation.  Very much looking forward to revisiting Lewis and Harris.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #35 on: 23 March, 2015, 10:19:27 pm »
The Standing Stones on Lewis featured on the "Eclipse Live" programme last Friday morning, still available on the iPlayer for anyone who missed it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05n2br2/stargazing-live-series-5-5-eclipse-live

hillbilly

« Reply #36 on: 23 March, 2015, 10:32:47 pm »
Of course, the reason why I daren't enter is because I've seen what they do to mainlanders on the islands:

http://youtu.be/74DeoFjmA74

If they do that because the apples don't blossom, can you imagine what Lord Windyisle will do to the (literal?) lanterne rouge.

hillbilly

« Reply #37 on: 24 March, 2015, 09:23:10 am »
Hmmm. It turns out my firm are paying me to attend a conference in Glasgow that ends early pm on the day before this.  It feels like planets are aligning and fates conspiring...

All hail the Wicking Man, Lord of Bountiful Persperation.

« Reply #38 on: 24 March, 2015, 09:51:34 am »
I'm booked on and hoping to pick up work in Scotland the week before also!

Pondering taking the mtb over in the van as well to explore some off road after the 300

So excited! Wanted to see the area for YEARS and now it's finally going to happen.  :)
Does not play well with others

hillbilly

« Reply #39 on: 24 March, 2015, 01:23:38 pm »
F**ksocks.  14:30 conference finish, 17:30 ferry time, a 4.5 hour drive from Glasgow to Ullapool and being a stickler for rules means a no-go  :'(

I might take the opportunity to nip down to the Borders for a bit of perm fun though.  I've always fancied the Border Hills 200.  Not as fulfilling as a calendar event though :'(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #40 on: 24 March, 2015, 01:57:07 pm »
Flights?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hillbilly

« Reply #41 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:34:10 pm »
Genius.  Didn't think of that.  Looking at the FlyBe prices, it's an expensive option for a single 300km ride though - something to mull over how much I want to do the ride.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:45:59 pm »
You may be able to choose a cheaper option for the return trip.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hillbilly

« Reply #43 on: 24 March, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »
You should run a travel business for thick cyclists....

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #44 on: 24 March, 2015, 06:48:03 pm »
You should run a travel business for thick cyclists....

Could call it excess baggage. Unless you meant 'not clever' cyclists.

« Reply #45 on: 24 March, 2015, 06:54:59 pm »
- something to mull over
Wrong Island  :facepalm:
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #46 on: 24 March, 2015, 06:56:18 pm »
I'm currently cycling from Durham to Iona in touring cyclist mode. Have to say that cycling on Scotlandscotia is not easy. Firstly I just never seem to make progress on the paper map. Everything is a long way apart. Secondly, the weather; it is very weathersome. 100km feels like 150km. Sun, wind, rain, hail, sun. All in the same half an hour - then repeat.

On the up side. Wow. The scenery. Wow. Yes the road surface sucks, but the payback in views is wonderful. Then there's the food and drink... Oh yes!

Honestly, I'm glad I'm touring not audaxing. Scotland is beautiful and harsh. I'm typing this from a seafood restaurant in Oban.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #47 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »
Genius.  Didn't think of that.  Looking at the FlyBe prices, it's an expensive option for a single 300km ride though - something to mull over how much I want to do the ride.

Flights to/from the island are expensive, when we travel abroad we generally take the car over the ferry and pay airport parking at Glasgow or Edinburgh to save money - also because of the small hold on the planes flying to the island there is no guarantee of getting a bike here.

http://www.loganair.co.uk/service-info/flybe/baggage

If you are planning on taking your golf clubs, bicycle or other objects of unusual dimensions with you, please advise Flybe when you make your reservation on 0371 700 2000. It will only be accepted if space is available. Should space not be available, your equipment will be carried on the next available flight, again subject to space, and it is your responsibility to collect your equipment from the airport on arrival.

There is a fixed charge of £10 per sector for the carriage of bicycles.

Loganair cannot carry bicycles on their Islander or Twin Otter aircraft. As only 2 bicycles can be carried on the Saab 340 and Saab 2000, please advise the reservations agent when making your booking that you intend to carry a bicycle.

When travelling with a bicycle, deflate both tyres, lower the handlebars and place them in line with the frame, and invert or remove the pedals. You should, of course, allow additional time to make these adjustments.

There used to be a 10pm sailing from Ullapool on Fridays in summer - arriving Stornoway at about 1am (it always seemed to run late). Unfortunately this sailing has been pulled now that the new, larger ferry is in operation.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #48 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »
Yes, that is a right pain, as it no longer allows a day trip to Lewis. The day trip included a coach trip to see some of the sights of Lewis.

Chasing the coach round the island and seeing hte confused faces of the passengers as I turned up at each stop to chat to my family was fun  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #49 on: 08 May, 2015, 07:57:27 am »
Bump!

I have arranged accommodation and decided to 'foot passenger' over with the bike.  Planning to try and get the mid afternoon ferry on the Friday (summer additional sailings start then) and then get the Sunday Ferry back.   :thumbsup:

Golden Road and Standing Stones, here I come  ;D
Does not play well with others