Author Topic: The Old 240 and Spurn Head May 23rd 2015  (Read 5150 times)

Re: The Old 240 and Spurn Head May 23rd 2015
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »
If you see me tomorrow and I'm not eating or drinking something, SHOUT AT ME.

I'm getting round this hook or by crook and I'm not getting crippled by dehydration and low energy.

You on the Spurn head or Old 240 Ella?

Spurnhead. I'll be in Wheelers kit, stuffing my face with marzipan and trying to feed everyone brioche.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:53:44 pm »
As noted elsewhere, NQTSH400 has caused difficulties for people trying to construct a gpx track. Several people have succeeded in producing creditable ones, but not always accurate in every respect. The best that I've seen is in 2 parts and is at
http://www.strava.com/routes/2378613
and
http://www.strava.com/routes/2382301

Also available in zipped form at
http://www.aukweb.net/gps/347g.zip

Nobody has sent me a track for The Old 240, so we're stuck with last year's which is at
http://www.aukweb.net/gps/933g.zip

As this has a Sowerby Bridge start and finish, and tomorrow's start and finish is at Mytholmroyd, riders will need to use the route sheet to do Mytholmroyd-Keighley at the start and Keighley-Mytholmroyd at the end.

As usual, the route sheet should be the primary source of information, and the gpx files carry the customary health warning.

Thanks to all those riders who have contributed their time and effort in constructing those gpx files.

Cheers

Chris

« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:12:49 pm »

« Reply #28 on: 24 May, 2015, 08:36:48 pm »
I had a great ride on the Old 240. It was a lovely day once the mist had burned off, and there were fairly light winds all the way round.

Amongst my highlights were the views of the Lakes and the Cross Fell massif from the gnarly ground above Appleby, the field of stars atop Cock Hill on the return to Mytholmroyd, and the tunnel effect created by the lines of trees and streetlights on the descent to Peckett Well.

Probably the best bit, though, was seeing Chris's helpers at the bus shelter in Gargrave. A very welcome sight at that stage in the ride, and much appreciated.

Ta to Chris and all his helpers!

I took a few photos, mostly rubbish, but these ones were alright:

Bob Bialek in Barbondale

Dentdale

Dusk in Wensleydale

« Reply #29 on: 24 May, 2015, 09:58:26 pm »
Thanks, Dean!  I had originally hoped to help at Gargrave, which would have put a different complection on it.  (Spent a lovely day at an Asian wedding - an old pupil.) 

Cock Hill, on the return and not the link road over Wainstalls?  Chris must be getting soft.  That said, the descent into Hebden is one of the joys of our area.

Peter

« Reply #30 on: 24 May, 2015, 10:13:28 pm »
It would've been good to see you, Peter, but the couple there were a good laugh (sorry, can't remember their names...).

I'm pretty sure that the route back from Keighley was the same as the route out, but I wasn't paying that much attention to the route sheet - I hung around at Gargrave for my clubmate Dave, and we just hit the main roads to Keighley.

« Reply #31 on: 25 May, 2015, 12:27:51 am »
I seem to remember bumping into a VC167 called (I think) Dave Wood(s) from Tyneside on a couple of rides.  Might that be him?

« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:43:47 am »
The Old 240 was a cracking ride in lovely conditions. I last tried it as a perm in March and ended up in the Travelodge at Scotch Corner, watching the snow fall. A lot of riders turned right for Spurn Head at the start and I worried if I had made another error, but then I remembered the Old 240 doesn't go to Thorne. The ride was characterized by great views across the Dales, Lakes and Howgills. Along with the epic there were the small details too - bluebells, the smell of ramsons, lambs, calves, and hares all contributed to a wonderful, although tough experience.

Geoff and Helen from Calderdale CTC did a long overnight 12 hour control stint in the bus stop at Gargrave and the soup and sandwiches were very welcome after a long lonely section from Scotch Corner. There should be an award for that kind of commitment.

Peter is right that the last section usually goes over Wainstalls to Sowerby Bridge, but with a start and finish in Mytholmroyd it was 'only' Cock Hill to finish (I would not describe that as a soft option after 400km ;) ).

I rode much of the ride alone and was lanterne rouge, but pleased that I had an hour and a half in hand until Chris pointed out that the first rider had finished 9 hours before me. There was the usual very warm welcome at Mytholmroyd, with the ubiqitious rice pudding, and thanks to all the volunteers.

« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:08:21 am »
Well done all and lovely photos, it's certainly a ride 'on my list' (the old 240).  So many rides, so few weekends...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2015, 11:31:25 am »
Hi,

I had planned to do the Old 240 but lost too many weeks riding because of illness and a fall in the spring. Made a day of the Spurn Head ride and rode all day with Brian Smart and Steve Boucher. It was Mr Boucher's first 400 and he was the strongest rider. Got the sun cream out for the first time in 2015 and saw Julian Dyson at the end and he had a great helmet tan.

The ride had some excellent roads and visits some little ridden places in South Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire. There was a little too much urban riding for my taste.

If my spring goes well and it runs I will do the Old 240 in 2016. I just did not have enough miles in the legs for it this year.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #35 on: 25 May, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »
I seem to remember bumping into a VC167 called (I think) Dave Wood(s) from Tyneside on a couple of rides.  Might that be him?

Too many Daves! This was Dave Atkinson, from Northallerton.

« Reply #36 on: 25 May, 2015, 03:23:37 pm »
I did a bit of filming at the start, much too many miles involved to film anything else.

https://youtu.be/jMzKt0TH9CI

« Reply #37 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:51:06 pm »
I did a bit of filming at the start, much too many miles involved to film anything else.

Great to see my friend Becca getting interviewed too. Thanks.

Have incredible tan lines from the sunny part, and so glad I managed my eating and drinking so much better than Llanfair. It's all about the ice cream and marzipan... And a shewee so you can keep hydrated and then conviently water the verges like a chap. Some tired and uncomfortable parts in the night section and had a weird on the bike cry in the last few km or so after dropping Luke. Speaking of Luke, ideal nighttime riding partner. Tusen tack. May write something more extensive this week, but will be slightly manic working and preparing for WCW, and going to attempt to get a last minute bikefit.

« Reply #38 on: 25 May, 2015, 06:05:24 pm »
Great to see ........

It was great to See Ella at Clews and looked sooooo much better than our last meeting in McDs at Abergele.

Very pleased you completed your 400 and best of luck with 600.

« Reply #39 on: 25 May, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »
Great to see ........

It was great to See Ella at Clews and looked sooooo much better than our last meeting in McDs at Abergele.

Thank you! It was great to see you too. Goole/Clews was like a lovely, slightly confusing, audax love in. Slightly worried I broke some unwritten Audax rule running about hugging people I remembered from other rides... But Im just taking riding like a girl to a whole new level.

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
Great to see ........

Thank you! It was great to see you too. Goole/Clews was like a lovely, slightly confusing, audax love in. Slightly worried I broke some unwritten Audax rule running about hugging people I remembered from other rides... But Im just taking riding like a girl to a whole new level.

It's OK - veloman loves a hug.

« Reply #41 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:29:30 pm »
Anybody who can get that excited about Glews Garage as a control must have enough go in them to finish a 600 and then go on to PBP.
It never does that much for me. But , I have the very picture you need to keep your spirits up.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #42 on: 25 May, 2015, 11:24:39 pm »
I bought my BMW K75 from a bloke in Goole, and pumped the tyres up at Glews Garage, prior to which it handled like a pig. I was inspired to get it by seeing the same model of bike being used by the photographer from L'Equipe on Le Tour in Yorkshire. It will be used to film PBP in some form.
We had friends round to sneer at Eurovision, accompanied by the Ken Bruce commentary. Otherwise I might have been tempted to film the Spurn/Flatlands overlap.

« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »

Just stumbled across this after watching your recent WCW offering.
Love Deanos' exhibition of his roll-up predilections at the beginning....absolute classic  ;D
Garry Broad

« Reply #44 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:58:17 pm »
Thanks VB for pointing that one out - hadn't seen it either, and it's very good.

« Reply #45 on: 07 June, 2015, 12:07:03 am »

Just stumbled across this after watching your recent WCW offering.
Love Deanos' exhibition of his roll-up predilections at the beginning....absolute classic  ;D

;D Yes, my not-so-secret shame. I still finished the Old 240 before 2 am. Think what I'll do when I pack in the fags :-\