Author Topic: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau (PBP 600))  (Read 23170 times)

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Re: Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau (PBP 600))
« Reply #75 on: 19 May, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »
And another chevron-based Q: the last few k to the bunkhouse - is it actually worth going up that hilly lane just to avoid Betws-y-coed and a few km? (I know it's tourist hell, but it should be ok at 370km-oclock :) )

Having taken the steep little lane last year, taken a wrong turn into someone's drive and struggled with tired legs to get going again on the slope and walked for a bit, I'm going to try the main road this year.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #76 on: 20 May, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
I have a room going spare (twin beds) on Sunday evening at Tewkesbury Travelodge (if you wanted a good sleep before heading home).

I'm looking to get my £27 quid back but will take highest offer by Personal Message.

It's not transferable but Travelodge tell me you just need the confirmation number and my name to use it.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #77 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:04:21 pm »
And another chevron-based Q: the last few k to the bunkhouse - is it actually worth going up that hilly lane just to avoid Betws-y-coed and a few km? (I know it's tourist hell, but it should be ok at 370km-oclock :) )

Having taken the steep little lane last year, taken a wrong turn into someone's drive and struggled with tired legs to get going again on the slope and walked for a bit, I'm going to try the main road this year.

Yeh,  - there was a whole group of us that ended up in front of someone's house, trying and failing to be quiet...

I walked for a bit then because it seemed unlikely that the guys in front of me would stay upright, and I was too scared to ride past them as they were wobbling from one side of the road to the other, somewhat randomly

Main road for me this time...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #78 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:04:15 pm »
So in 3 weeks I may be

a) sulking in some random place in the middle of nowhere in Wales
b) in a B and B admiring some scenery having decided riding bikes a long way in one go is a silly idea
c) wondering how to rescue my car from Tewkesbury having got on a train
d) dead

I am still ridiculously scared of this ride but looking forward to a lovely route in Wales. I may miss the cut off by about 4 days ;)

« Reply #79 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »
I'm looking forward to it. Wish I had more miles in the legs, been off the bike for a couple of weeks with a fractured elbow so going to take it easy and try to get round in one piece!  ;D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #80 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:15:17 am »
I have a room going spare (twin beds) on Sunday evening at Tewkesbury Travelodge (if you wanted a good sleep before heading home).

I'm looking to get my £27 quid back but will take highest offer by Personal Message.

It's not transferable but Travelodge tell me you just need the confirmation number and my name to use it.

Room has been taken (Adam).

Perhaps a post ride get-together with Chillmoister and Keeks (using the other room in my name) is in order.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #81 on: 26 May, 2015, 11:56:00 am »
Classic riders, check your in-boxes. The GPS  files are too big to host on the AUK site, and are now with you.

Classic Route sheet is available to download from event page.

Standard riders, your event info will be sent out this afternoon some time.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #82 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »
I am on the standard then (5:30am start). The pressure is off qualifying for PBP, now that I've done the Flatlands, but this'll sort out June's RRtY ride. Doubt I'll be ECEing it though.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #83 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:36:53 pm »
Classic riders, check your in-boxes. The GPS  files are too big to host on the AUK site, and are now with you.

Classic Route sheet is available to download from event page.
Nothing received here, but I don't need the GPX files, so no bother :)

( I assume the route sheet has changes since the version I downloaded earlier in the month? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #84 on: 26 May, 2015, 01:00:38 pm »
Email received Mark thanks for that  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #85 on: 26 May, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
Neither email received...
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #86 on: 26 May, 2015, 04:38:27 pm »

You're a standard James, still to get home and post.

That was a good BCM after - party.
Neither email received...
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #87 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »
I got my email...

Are some of you restricted on the size of incoming mails perhaps ??
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 26 May, 2015, 07:04:59 pm »
I got my email...

Are some of you restricted on the size of incoming mails perhaps ??
Mine turned up a good hour after BS' post.

About 5Mb of files - that could well trip some size limits.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #89 on: 26 May, 2015, 07:38:25 pm »
I got the email too.  Have entered this after snapping my setapost and DNFing Flatlands.  This will be a bit different but I love the idea of riding in Wales (albeit with some fear of the hills).  Did I see mention of a bagdrop?  That might be lovely.  I generally end up carrying a whole bunch of food around uneaten, so it would be lovely to carry some of it only halfway around...  Shorts and a Jersey would be a luxury too.

« Reply #90 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »
If I was to be thinking about riding this on fixed (just thinking) but can't currently view the gpx files, is either of the options more suitable?

For me this would be less steep climbing more of the long drawn out type.

« Reply #91 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:49:00 pm »
All those currently down to ride on the "Standard" route have e-mails on the way to your in-boxes.

Once again, if your service provider thinks that Bcc e-mails are SPAM, check there as well.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #92 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
Yay, I have the email, thanks Mark. I'll stick with the 'standard'. Looking forward to plugging the tracks in to my computer to see where your sending us Mark.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #93 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:38:37 pm »
vistaed, all being well I should see you there James, down for El Classico and riding over and back. Ready again for a biggie.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #94 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »
Having struggled round the Snowdon and Coast 400 this weekend with its less than 5000m of ascent, I'm now properly worried about joining Mr Pickwick on his search for stuff and things up hills in Wales. This is supposed to fun isn't it?

« Reply #95 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »
As I mentioned on the other thread you did the S&C ride the wrong way round geographically and temporally  ;)

« Reply #96 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:51:45 am »
I've entered this, it'll be my first 600 and the finale to my first SR. I know the route from Brecon to Llanrwst very well, Llyn Brianne is a favourite as it's only 20 miles from home so I cycle there a lot.
Question, should I be getting excited to the fact that I'm about to beast myself around a large section of God's country or should I be worried at the fact that I'm about to beast myself around a large section of God's country.
I did a DIY 300 last weekend and saw a few weary rider as I made my way around Nant y Moch, and started thinking if I'd actually done the right thing.
To all who have entered, see you at the start, I'll be the one bricking it, and faffing around delaying to start until I realise it's not a dream but the start of something big.
H
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #97 on: 01 June, 2015, 10:43:49 am »
I suspect it will be a hotbed of faffing and worried/excited folk. Personally I'm looking forward to what riding on the longest day will be like, previously all my long rides have finished either middle of May or in the case of PBP middle August.I'm kinda hoping I'll only be in the same amount of darkness as i was in a 300 in late March.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #98 on: 01 June, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
In my limited experience, being a bit nervous at the start of an event is a good thing. If I start too cocky I end up going a bit too fast and struggling later.

Trailhound

• Too much Mardle makes you late!
« Reply #99 on: 01 June, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »
Still not received gpx file.
Any ideas??