Author Topic: Moors and Wolds 400k 2015  (Read 11978 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Moors and Wolds 400k 2015
« Reply #25 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »
passes my house at 324km  ;D
the convention is to leave a flashing LED outside. Or a AUK Controle sign (I can post you one :) ).

Failing that, one of the controls is listed as "WILLERBY SERVICES". Never been there - is it the sort of place with quiet corners? Most motorway services tend to have them, but i know nothing about this ride. Yet ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:47:53 am »
Last time that I did this ride ,Willerby services was just like any other petrol station .

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
I am doing this as my 400km PBP qualifier and I have to admit I'm nervous.  I've never done a 400km without at least having a couple of hours sleep.Is it worth booking somewhere? or should I rely on bus shelter, or a quiet corner somewhere. I would be interested to hear what others have done on this ride.

This was my first 400 2 years ago and di it last year too.

It helps I think having a 10.30am start and I found riding through is the solution that worked for me with the odd 10- -15 cat nap for the yawnies that kick in at about 5am. Convenient bus shelter or two the other side of the bridge in Hibblestow.

Loads of time to finish in so do have that power nap. I always enjoy the very empty roads and the dawn crossing the Humber bridge and the night ride towards the bridge. All that matters is you finish, not the time

« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:04:31 pm »
I'll be riding this on fixed as well Lars, also aiming for the fixed SR as a sideline for the year:) My guess is I'll be walking up Staxton, but I might be surprised. Chips are good in there, but I think I'd rather carry them up in a paper than in belly.

I know some people have a dislike for this ride, but really it's a nice ride and has had some bad publicity.....but it isn't a soul destroying ride across the fens and I quite like the night sections on this one.

Staxton is 17% as I recall. With the 14:30 start, we got there late evening, so tacking up was easy enough, although I think I walked in the end. Riding up shouldn't be a problem for you - if you rode up the Devil's Staircase on Saturday, Staxton will be a cinch.

Don't be disappointed with me Chris but I quite enjoyed s nice walk up.the devils staircase (with gears) and I'll gladly walk up Staxton. To be fair to.myself.though it was very windy and I wasn't feeling great all dAy right from the off.

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:09:51 pm »
Staxton is on my own patch and is not that bad in reality. But it took me years to pluck up the courage to do it. I had a stigma about it from an occasion when I was following a minibus towing a trailer up it in my car, when it ground to a halt, everyone in the mini bus piled out and started pushing and that stuck in my mind for years.

One morning about 0500, I said to myself, I'm off to do it, jumped out of bed, got ready and 25 mile ride there. rode to the bottom, turned around and found it was nothing, six and a half minutes later I was at the top, then a 25 mile ride home. Since then I have done it a few times. It is a 17% but its just the bit at the top where it gets hard.

A harder hill is just to the East of it which runs parrallel to it, Flixton Hill, don't know what gradient it is, but its one of those you get well over 50 going down it and I've even seen cyclists walking pushing their bikes........................... down it!!!!!!!!

But Staxton could be a different ball game with a lot of miles in your legs and in the dark when you do not know where the top is. Just like Kidstones on the "Old 240", I have never got up it in the dark and crack just before the top not knowing how close I was to it.

Always remember, if a hill gets too much, there is not much to loose by walking time wise. I have found the cracking point is about 2 -3 miles an hour....walking speed, so I just jump off and get walking.

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:17:34 pm »
If nothing else, the Moors and Wolds provides you with some visits to some truly terrible places. Barton on Suicide Humber, Gainsborough, Brigg, and the thoroughly delightful Shirebrook.

It also takes you to some fantastically lovely places. In the dark.

Watch out for the drivers in Derbyshire.

« Reply #31 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:25:59 pm »
If nothing else, the Moors and Wolds provides you with some visits to some truly terrible places. Barton on Suicide Humber, Gainsborough, Brigg, and the thoroughly delightful Shirebrook.

Chris - can't help thinking there's another career waiting for you - as a kind of Hollywood Audax strap line writer... :D

It's that ability to articulate the balance between negative cynicism and just the absolute plain truth  ;D
Garry Broad

« Reply #32 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:30:20 pm »
 :)   :)   :)

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »
 :D

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »
Come on you'll be putting people off :)

You can't judge a ride by it's control points, in between those (admittedly often grim) control points there are some lovely roads and it isn't the only ride that passes through some grim towns, turns out that the UK is full of them.

I always like the night riding on this route as well, always good to see the sun coming up over Lincolnshire.

Maybe I have a soft spot as it was my first 400 and Tom was very helpful  (and has always been, along with the other Alfreton orgs.).

« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »

Watch out for the drivers in Derbyshire.

You forgot to mention Unpleasantly, A bunch of Clownes, Fucking Dinnington, Shatfield.

In fact this route would a lot lot better being a 200 that doesn't venture south of the Humber.

« Reply #36 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
With the title it's got ,you would think that was the case, but it does start well south of the Humber so it has no choice.
Anyway, the tea and cakes and the non-riding helpers have always been first class at Alfreton and make up for the above mentioned deficiencies.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #37 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
Due to unprecedented demand, and the fact that I am running a 50km companion event on the same day, I have taken the decision to close the event entries on Saturday 18-4-15.

Can't be that unpopular.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #38 on: 17 April, 2015, 04:42:41 am »
How many entries have you got?

« Reply #39 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:30:14 am »

Whatever it was, it's now n+1.

« Reply #40 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:23:15 pm »

Whatever it was, it's now n+1.

Well I owe you a tow on this one, lets just hope your saddle holds up this time.

« Reply #41 on: 18 April, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
Does anyone have a gpx file for this ride, it would be useful to see where the route goes as I have only passed through some of this area on LEL

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »
I've got 102 on the list and a couple of postals to enter manually.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #43 on: 18 April, 2015, 04:36:27 pm »
Well plus another,  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #44 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:17:06 am »
Does anyone have a gpx file for this ride, it would be useful to see where the route goes as I have only passed through some of this area on LEL

Fungus OTP has posted this recently so I guess that it's up to date.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7583661   

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #45 on: 22 April, 2015, 12:03:20 pm »

Fungus OTP has posted this recently so I guess that it's up to date.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7583661   

I found that on ridewithgps so will take no blame if it's wrong  :hand:
Looks ok though  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #46 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:17:36 pm »
Where are the recommended shops, cafes, chippies, etc near controls, or along the route.

More importantly where are the ones to avoid.

Ta,
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2015, 03:44:42 pm »
Dunno about recommended but there are plenty of shops in the first half e.g Thorne (if you dare stop), Howden (Co-op in centre) , Stamford Bridge and Helmsley (Co-op closes at 10pm) .
There used to be a good chippy in Stamford Bridge and there is still one in Helmsley and there are lots of pubs doing food if you have time.
 After that it is wilderness or too late (for average riders)  until you get to the aforementioned Willerby services.
There is a 24/7 McD's a few miles  off route in Seamer if you need caffeine.
 North Yorkshire shuts down after 11 pm so carry food for the overnight bit if you are inclined to get peckish.

« Reply #48 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:16:49 pm »
anyone know what time the Gainsborough control will close? thanks

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #49 on: 11 May, 2015, 11:31:06 pm »
Hello Crinkles!  it's on Saturday 16th May :thumbsup:

Hmm... This could be do-able.

What time is the field likely to hit Stamford Bridge?  And, if it's a qualifier, I'm guessing that there might be more of you than usual?