Author Topic: Blanchland Blinder 300  (Read 801 times)

Blanchland Blinder 300
« on: 09 April, 2015, 11:21:52 am »
Anyone else up for this? Me and a mate have put in. Entries look quite low. Being one of Andy's routes, it'll doubtless be a wonderful ride.

Re: Blanchland Blinder 300
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
I plan on doing it, sounds like a great route but I would like a GPS to follow on this as its my longest Audax ride to date!!!!!!   :) :) :)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »
Entries are probably low (at the moment) because the event's on a Sunday. It's a super route; climbing over some very high roads, but not as high as next year's 300 (set for 04 June 2016), where I'm sure there'll be more entries.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Blanchland Blinder 300

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2015, 11:56:47 am »
14 entered
6 started
5 finished

This was a hilly, 300 km route through the Pennines with over 5000 m of climbing. Essentially a ride of two halves. 153 km to the turn at Blanchland with a 150 km return leg. With there being so few in numbers, I decided to give this one a go myself.

We had a strong tailwind all the way on the outward leg, which was of huge benefit on the climbs of Coal Road; Shot Moss and Chapel Fell (England's joint highest motorised road at 627 m). After leaving Blanchland, we had to fight the strong headwind virtually all the way back to Pendleton, a stretch that included the climbs of Dead Friars; Unthank Bank; Bollihope Common; The Stang; Turf Moor; Buttertubs Pass and Newby Head.

Altogether there were at least 12 climbs that are listed in Simon Warren's (Another) 100 climbs book, many climbing to over 500 metres. Someone's GPS gave a reading of 5498 m of climbing for the ride.

Next year's 300, a different version to this, is set for Saturday 04 June 2016 and climbs the legendary Great Dun Fell. I'm sure there'll be more of us then.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Blanchland Blinder 300