Author Topic: Asparagus and Strawberries 9th May 2015  (Read 32482 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Asparagus and Strawberries 9th May 2015
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2015, 10:45:33 pm »
My first Audax venture into eastern parts.

I'm assuming that headwinds are the main problem rather than hills in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Touch wood for a nice wind-free and mild weekend. Anything I need to be especially aware of?

All my previous 400 qualifiers have been fairly hilly Welsh or South West rides.

Both my 400 (A&S400) and my 600 (Pair of Kirtons) seem to be fairly benign so long as the wind doesn't pick up, and possibly bloody hard slogs if it does.

Does anyone have a GPX so I can take a look at the profile?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

red marley

« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2015, 10:58:16 pm »
These are the GPS routes I created in 2013 (not sure if it has changed since then but should give you an idea of the terrain.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2488907   (Manningtree to Wells)
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2489013   (Wells to Barton Mills)
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2489355   (Barton Mills to Manningtree)

There are no big climbs by the standards of the other rides you mention, but that last 80k from Newmarket back to Manningtree is not without lumps - typical N Essex rolling terrain, which after 320km won't feel particularly flat.

It is a lovely ride though. I'm really looking forward to it.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2015, 08:38:13 am »
Does anyone have a GPX so I can take a look at the profile?

The whole route is here:  http://ridewithgps.com/events/Asparagus-Strawberries-400.  We're testing it this weekend on the helpers' ride and I'll split it into two 200s for Tomsk's AUK page; you'll be able to download the 200s from this link also.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2015, 09:13:45 am »
Thanks, that works.

Downloaded to Fugawi Ordnance Survey maps for direct comparison with my other 400s (different systems give different ascent values I've found).

Fugawi gives 3200m of ascent on A&S400

By comparison I get 6000m on the Brevet Cymru 400 (most of which seems like getting back out of Newquay at half way).

Dartmoor Devil 100 is 2500m.

Looking forward to the experience of riding out that way.

By way of penance I signed up for the Welsh.....
Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau. (clasurol).
600 in June.

Hopefully I'll have qualified on Lincolnshire roads the week before as I really don't want to depend on the Welsh one (9500m advertised).

See you in Essex.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:07:38 am »
By comparison I get 6000m on the Brevet Cymru 400 (most of which seems like getting back out of Newquay at half way).

Interesting - I measured 4920m for the BC400 :-/.

As Jo says, the Newmarket Downs are the only rolling bits you'll notice.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #30 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:57:10 am »
It is a lovely ride though. I'm really looking forward to it.

Me too   :thumbsup: 

This was my first 400 in 2013 and, although it's relatively benign (except that last lumpy trundle from Newmarket onwards), I found it a struggle in the morning, mostly with knackered legs (thanks to FidgetBuzz dragging me along too quickly on the first two stages) and sleep-dep (gotta thank Dave for keeping me awake).

I'm riding it twice this year to make up for missing it last year  ::-)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #31 on: 21 April, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »

As Jo says, the Newmarket Downs are the only rolling bits you'll notice.

Don't forget the mighty Burnt Dick Hill closely followed by Cooks Hill as you get close to the Manningtree finish...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #32 on: 21 April, 2015, 12:30:23 pm »
Don't forget the mighty Burnt Dick Hill closely followed by Cooks Hill as you get close to the Manningtree finish...
Someone hinted that there is a way to avoid those - goes away to study OS maps paying attention to the thin brown lines.....

We hope not to have to call the ambulance for a newly crashed car just before the aforementioned hills like we did last year. Trying to give a coherent description of our location to the emergency services when you a) only have a route sheet and b) have not slept for over 24 hours is not that easy.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2015, 09:17:31 pm »
Someone hinted that there is a way to avoid those - goes away to study OS maps paying attention to the thin brown lines.....

The 'Hill-Dodger's Long-Cut' involved substituting Stoke-by-Nayland [long, gentle climb] for Burnt Dick + Cook's Hills, then the second L out of Dedham [East Lane] - another easier hill instead of Jupe's, leaving just Mill Hill, which I always end up walking if a car comes along while I'm tacking. In all only about .5 km further.

I don't know why, as the evil organiser I'm making this known, except that I have been known to take this option and it's all within the rules.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #34 on: 22 April, 2015, 01:18:09 pm »
[quote author=rob link=topic=89897.msg1847563#msg1847563 date

If anyone wants a train ticket for the 7:30 train from Liverpool St and return on the 07:53 return on Sunday drop me a line. Both have bike reservations but the return now looks like there'll be a level of replacement bus related faffage.
[/quote]

Looks like they plan to get trains running again by about 10-30.  Maybe a bonus for full value riders!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #35 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:45:20 am »

The 'Hill-Dodger's Long-Cut' involved substituting Stoke-by-Nayland [long, gentle climb] for Burnt Dick + Cook's Hills, then the second L out of Dedham [East Lane] - another easier hill instead of Jupe's, leaving just Mill Hill, which I always end up walking if a car comes along while I'm tacking. In all only about .5 km further.

I don't know why, as the evil organiser I'm making this known, except that I have been known to take this option and it's all within the rules.

Because you're 'evil' ?   ;D :smug: ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #36 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:24:53 am »
Pah! There are few enough hills on this ride as it is - why deny yourself the pleasure of what little climbing you can get?  ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #37 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:14:53 am »
According to wiki-wotsit, the four counties (City of London isn't a proper county, is it?) with the lowest high points are Essex, Cambs, Suffolk and Norfolk.  And the route doesn't go near any of them. 

The route does start at near-enough sea-level, though, so every meagre metre of altitude has to be earned, but will be fully paid back by the end … not that that means much, as it's a flat route with 100km of low rollers and a handful of short, stiff climbs near the end, finishing with a short, fast swoop to arrivée.  It's the 300km of getting there that make them feel hard(-ish).

rob

« Reply #38 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:20:33 am »
Bigger gear on this year, so last few lumps may tell on me a bit.    Can always walk, I suppose.

Missed last year after doing the previous 4 (I think).   Lovely gently rolling route that you can hammer or tour round.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #39 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:26:20 pm »

You'll breeze through it Lee - regardless of the wind.

It's a perfect mini-tour of East Anglia. Great fun.

I booked my rail ticket today - out on the 07h30 from Liverpool St on Saturday with an open return. Given the variability in time of arrivee, the open return, rather than a specific train seemed a good idea. 

There appears to be a bus service operating on trains back to London up to the 10h19 on Sunday so I don't need to be in a huge rush to finish. However (and this seems to me a dilemma specific to 400 km rides) given that I really do need a sleep after 24 hours (or a bit less) would it be more sensible to get round a bit quicker and find a cosy place to have a rest in Manningtree while waiting for a train? Any advice gratefully received ... 

Looking forward to this ride, and a nice snooze on the train back to London  :)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #40 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:31:45 pm »
I did the ride last year and to be honest I don't remember any hills, may be that's because I got some sleep in a field and then saw a rather nice sun rise, as I recall.

My only fear is the Flatland 600k is relatively soon after, so I may not have recovered in time and have to look around for a little later running 600 instead.

red marley

« Reply #41 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:35:25 pm »
However (and this seems to me a dilemma specific to 400 km rides) given that I really do need a sleep after 24 hours (or a bit less) would it be more sensible to get round a bit quicker and find a cosy place to have a rest in Manningtree while waiting for a train? Any advice gratefully received ... 

Looking forward to this ride, and a nice snooze on the train back to London  :)

You could sleep on the way round instead. My plan is to bounce controls until Barton Mills, sleep there for a few hours before an early start for "day two".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »
BO, 2 weeks recovery from a 400 is about perfect. Don't forget you PBPers that you'll be doing a 400, 600 and 200 back to back in a few months.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #43 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »

I'm assuming that headwinds are the main problem rather than hills in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Touch wood for a nice wind-free and mild weekend. Anything I need to be especially aware of?

You'll need to be aware of tractors towing large trailers driven by complete morons. Also large sugar beet falling from previously mentioned produce trailers, or has beet season been and gone ?

Chris S

« Reply #44 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »
You'll need to be aware of tractors towing large trailers driven by complete morons. Also large sugar beet falling from previously mentioned produce trailers, or has beet season been and gone ?

Been & gone. However - it hasn't rained properly hereabouts for a Long Time, so there's a lot of flinty goodness in the lanes, left over from The Campaign.

Now, it's mostly fields of rape, Hares (we saw loads yesterday), Haar (if you get a Northeasterly), and sand (if you go off-road).

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #45 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:19:26 pm »
You could sleep on the way round instead. My plan is to bounce controls until Barton Mills, sleep there for a few hours before an early start for "day two".

Thanks jo ... I'll keep in mind that option.  I'm not expecting to be pushed for time, but complacency is a sneaky enemy, and you never really know what you may have to deal with. Have you organised for yourself a room in the Travelodge, or do you have in mind something a bit more ad hoc?

red marley

« Reply #46 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:33:59 pm »
I booked a travelodge room at Barton Mills several months ago. I wouldn't rely on there being spare rooms on the night as I know on previous events, including non-PBP years, they have filled up.

Which reminds me. I must tell them not to give my room away, even if I don't turn up 'till late.

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #47 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:50:10 pm »
I booked a travelodge room at Barton Mills several months ago. I wouldn't rely on their being spare rooms on the night as I know on previous events, including non-PBP years, they have filled up.

Which reminds me. I must tell them not to give my room away, even if I don't turn up 'till late.

I admire your forward planning ... wish I was that well organised  ::-) That is a very strategic spot to take a sleep break and make it a very comfortable ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »
If I'm fit which I'm not at the moment, should be back in Cambridge by 10pm. Eight hours kip then off to the finish for about 10am. Not sure whether to risk the train though, there's only one to Ipswich that is early enough. So it may be a bit manic to get to the start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #49 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:12:39 pm »
I'm considering taking my tent and pitching up somewhere when I feel like a kip. Anyone else doing similar?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."