Author Topic: Y Barcud Coch  (Read 2340 times)

Y Barcud Coch
« on: 23 April, 2015, 09:01:31 pm »
Planning on doing Barcud Coch perm this summer.Thinking of starting in Brecon as its closer to home for me and seems to work well with control times.

Anyone see a flaw in this plan?

PS I am a very full value rider.

Re: Y Barcud Coch
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »
Hey Banjo, we met at the snapper. I was Dave's mate Dan; when you planning on doing this I'm sure me and Dave and I would be interested if you fancied company.
nam dan on fb

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »
hello Dan

didn't envy you and Dave doing the last ECE bit after snapper,I was happy to eat cake and drive home.

Company would be great but I work erratic hours and usually have to ride at short notice.If that's OK with you then that's fantastic.

If you enter John will allow you to specify the date later when you know so if you cant do it with me You and Dave could do it separately.

Hopefully  all 3 of us can do It together.

The Brecon start seems ok to me control times seem to work and the last 15 km is a roll down hill into  Brecon. 

I intend taking some decent lights for the ride over Mynydd Eppynt which may be after dark for me even in summer.

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:42:34 pm »
Yeah it was tough, but I got my first experience of the dozies which should help brevet cymru next week. Dave had a mechanical on way home which was bummer. Hopefully it should work out quite well, unless we have other audax when you want to do it, or other commitments, but reasonably flexible. I've never done that climb from builth southerly I've descended it though and thought it would be a bugger to go up, let alone towards the end of 200km.
nam dan on fb

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:38:51 pm »
Hi Banjo. I did the ride last October started from Llandovery. The climb up to the ranges after Llanwrtyd Wells was tough that far into the ride*, otherwise all brilliant.

*I live in East Anglia and am 'solidly' built so all hills are felt.

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:32:58 am »
Hi Banjo. I did the ride last October started from Llandovery. The climb up to the ranges after Llanwrtyd Wells was tough that far into the ride*, otherwise all brilliant.

*I live in East Anglia and am 'solidly' built so all hills are felt.

I did Cambrian 2b once starting in Brecon which meant climbing over Mynydd Epynt at the end of the ride. It is a tough climb late in the day but at least once at the top its a roll down to the finish.Have to give it some thought.

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2015, 09:48:43 am »
Hi all.  I am certainly game for this.  Am in no way a hill climber but as Eddie said "Don't ride upgrades, ride up grades" :)

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:13:57 am »
You get nearly 15 hours to ride it So an early start would suit me to get round in daylight.

I can smell the bacon and eggs in llandovery all ready ;D

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2015, 11:24:47 am »
I can smell the bacon and eggs in llandovery all ready ;D
:thumbsup:

I did this at the end of October last year just after Daylight Saving finished. It was wet and reasonably cold. For some reason I had the 13.5 hours in my head and I made it back in 13:15 but I was in quite a state. Hence I have learnt 2 things....

1. Just because there is no climb number it doesn't mean there is no climbing (AAA points would have been a good thing to look at  :facepalm:)
2. Check the time limits given on the Brevet!

I knew Mynydd Epynt would be a slog simply because the word Climb was mentioned on the route sheet. It did not disappoint, I do wish I had done it in daylight to see some of the views though. The Coop in Llandovery where I got my finishing receipt turned into a end of ride food grab (and 4 large cans of beer) and I must have looked a picture with shopping hanging of various bits of the bike for the ~1 mile back to the car!

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
Banjo, if you get round to doing this I may be interested in joining you. It would be a long-shot but you never know.

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2015, 04:46:57 pm »
That would be great Nuncio.Only problem is its difficult for me to plan in advance and mostly my days off are weekdays.

Best I can do is post on here when I get a chance to ride and hope you will be free to join me.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »
I might be up for this if you'll have me - got a link for the perm though? - I can't find it on AUK's website

You might even find yourself with a free pint or brekkie or summit at some point seeing as I would like to make up the kindness you showed me last year in my dark hours after the Buckingham Blinder incident :-)

[edit] Nvm - found it - 3.75 AAA  :jurek:   LLanwrtydd Wells to Tregaron - sigh.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2015, 04:36:34 pm »
@Caerau I bet the blinder is one Audax you would rather forget.just glad you ended up ok .

Re the Barcud Coch ride I would love to be able to do it as a group perm but cant commit to any particular day in the near future so I plan to enter perms and DIYs that I can do at short notice. If I get a free day I will post on here and with a bit of luck get some of you to join me. :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
I can almost definitely ride this on Wednesday this week.13th May. Will be able to confirm about 7pm tonight .

My plan is to start from Brecon at 7 AM.

Anyone else up for it?

« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
Sorry, can't do it. It was always going to be a bit of a long shot at short notice but you never know. If you do it on Wednesday, it looks like you'll have good weather.

caerau

« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »
Nope, aside from work I need to wait around for a new fridge freezer to be delivered that day.

Good luck, I'm still recovering from Old Roads 300 on Saturday anyway.  :-)

« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2015, 07:09:18 pm »
I have notified undulates that im doing it on Wednesday. If we can get a group perm together later in the year I will join in with that as well if I can.

Sun and light winds in the forecast at the moment. I will try and get some pics if I have time :-)

« Reply #17 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:21:19 am »
Walk in the park , I had nearly 10 minutes spare at the end ;D

Had to push myself on the last leg to get round in time , was totally exhausted at the finish.

Fantastic ride though, overdosed on scenery.

Road surfaces mostly very good.

« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2015, 07:55:23 am »

Good effort. I expect you had a cracking day for it.

caerau

« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:31:42 am »
Yes, the weather was lovely yesterday, congratulations it looks a tough ride.

Good job you didn't decide on today  :hand:

« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:48:59 am »
My fitness isn't great just now I think most audaxers wouldn't find it too taxing. Obviously plenty of hills but some fast bits as well.

I would like to have taken more pictures but realized early on that if I wanted to finish on time then less faffing and more pedalling was required. :)

« Reply #21 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »
Lovely.....I'll be back to do it in that weather once. Mine was more like this all day.

« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »
chwarae teg butt, how you feeling now?
nam dan on fb

« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2015, 06:51:22 pm »
Nice. It's on my to-do list too.

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2015, 07:23:27 pm »
Felt a bit stiff this morning but no worse than after most 200s to be honest.

Between Lake Brianne and Tregaron I went up a really steep hill with a series of hairpins then the road deteriorated into a gravel track for a while. I didn't think this was part of the route and looking at it on the map today sure enough I had wandered off course . Amazing view from the top but would stay on the route if I do it again. I wondered where the extra couple of kms came from. ;D