Author Topic: Riders following you  (Read 13694 times)

Riders following you
« on: 17 May, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
Do you ever get riders asking if they can ride with you on an audax? And if you agree, do you feel obliged
to ride at his/her speed, if he/she is much slower than you?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Riders following you
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2015, 01:46:48 pm »
My worst experience was with someone slightly faster than me.
I wanted to ride solo, could not shake him off and I was too nice to tell him to

FUCK OFF!

I'm probably not that nice now...

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »
I find that

"Shit!  Puncture!!
----
No, it's ok, you carry one, this will take some time"

...always works fine for me. Never found the need to be rude or aggressive, myself.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:00:28 pm »
No one wants to ride with me anyway.

But if they turn up and hang on the back I just slow down till they get fed up, or as on the BCM last year, I asked him to take a turn on the front and he declined, so I told him "now your on your own you _ _nt", turned left and went over the Elan.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:06:21 pm »
Slowing down is not an option if you are riding VERY close to the time limit.
The (flat) Great Eastern 1000k took me 74¾ hours...

(but I had abandoned Mr Clingon at a sleep stop so I finished in time and he did not  :demon: ;D)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »
You're ruthless.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »
No, that was my father before he met Mum...

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:14:09 pm »
On yesterday's Meriden (150 km) audax a guy was following me towards the Blockley control. As I stopped to
turn over the route sheet he stopped a few yards behind me. He approached me and asked if he could ride with
me, mentioning that he found it hard to keep pulling his route sheet out of his rear pocket and memorising the
next 3 or 4 instructions (as it turned out, he'd been following other riders).

Towards Blockley there is a steep climb which I ascended at my own pace. He was several yards behind me as I
slowed towards the control. Whilst having card stamped and refuelling, another rider said he'd seen me earlier on
and didn't like riding by himself and asked me not to leave without him.

When I was ready to go both were waiting for me. As luck would have it, I was much stronger on the hills than
they were and continued at my own pace (occasionally mixing it with the Escargot group from Redditch, who were
a great bunch to ride with).

At the finish the first rider who wanted to ride with me saw me, giving a glance (which I interpreted as one) of
sheer annoyance.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
Yes - and I'm quite happy to have company
No - unless I often ride with them.  I wouldn't like to hold someone up if they were going better than me.
Usually a long drag uphill into the wind shrugs off a casual hanger on.
The only time I get mildly riled is when some sits on for about 20 miles and, when they get to the front, gradually wind things up to R17, but I've learnt not to try to hang on.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
I find that

"Shit!  Puncture!!
----
No, it's ok, you carry one, this will take some time"

...always works fine for me. Never found the need to be rude or aggressive, myself.

I like this one. May try it in future.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »
If they are happy at my pace and willing to ride side by side and have a conversation then fine. If they have caught me up, and just want to tailgate, then no. If I've caught them up , and they need a tow, then probably yes. If they are too lazy to navigate, then they can join me as long as they act as my windbreak, whilst I shout left and rights etc.

Sometimes I just want to ride alone though. In this situation I'll tell hem and I'll just change my pace till we separate. If they keep matching my pace I'll stop. If they stop with me I'll tell them to get lost, I'm not their nanny.

Often though it depends on the conversation. If you're having a good chat then you'll stick together for much longer. If there's not just the right amount and type of chat then separate.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:45:37 pm »
I had two on yesterday's Meriden 100 - presumably not the same ones as De Sisti, unless they were rather lost.

One (not, I think, a natural audaxer) who had lost his group on the main climb and was now navigationless, who asked if he could ride with me to the next control.  I agreed, with a disclaimer about pace, and we had a nice chat on the flat mostly tailwind section.  The problem with this is you start to feel responsible for the other person, which makes the whole thing much less relaxed.  (This wasn't helped by us not seeing another rider for ages, which left me wondering if I'd gone off-route.)

And later on, another who lurked 10-20m behind me for miles (except where I was considerably faster on descents) without ever catching up and saying hello.  I eventually stopped for a knee break, and he overtook, asking if I was okay as he passed.  So not impolite, just really disconcerting.

I suppose the latter is a bit like when I catch up with the back of a group, but decide to stay there rather than play leapfrog (I tend to do this if it's a narrow lane or the group obviously lack awareness/discipline with regard to overtaking), or because I don't have enough speed reserve to get past.  It's much less creepy with a group, though.

Related:  There were a small group of riders who I kept meeting, who seemed to think that the way to let a faster cyclist pass while riding two abreast is for the outer rider to move to the far right of the road, so the overtaker can pass through the middle.  This confused me immensely.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2015, 02:49:21 pm »
The Danes do that parting and go up the middle thing, it weird.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:28:11 pm »
I was with a group in a recent audax.  They kept dropping me ascending hills, I could barely keep up.  At the top of one hill they stopped as another person in the group had a minor mechanical further down the hill.  Then the mouthy guy in the group rudely asked me how I had the brass neck to keep sucking their wheels and never taking a turn on the front.  I said, well, when the route is downhill or flat I am quite happy to do my bit.  He said that's not what we need we need people to take their turn on the hills.

So when the next downhill came I dropped the group, the route went flat and I didn't see them again for many km until I took a wrong turn.   Group riding often seems to make too many assumptions about duties and shared work.  That's why I hate riding with groups.  Out of a group there's nearly always an arsehole.  Yes, sometimes it's me.

If I am riding alone and someone latches onto my wheel I really don't mind at all.

I like riding with others at night but I do prefer 1 or 2 others rather than a big group

One of the fun things about PBP is that there is always someone to ride with

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:40:43 pm »
I never liked riding with others.
I don't like anything in my wobble zone.
Never had the strength to lead uphill and zoomed downhill due to hefty hips and tiny shoulders.

Thankfully, I was usually alone as lanterne rouge.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »
^^^I have two rearlights just in case.

On our recent 400 a bloke tucked in behind chum Didier & I and just sat there silently while we relayed each other over a series of switchbacks.  Then I moved ahead and accelerated up one, Didier overtook me and I tucked in tightly behind and we went down the other side like bats out of hell, leaving t'other bloke still plodding up.  We were over the next one and away before he started down.  That was gratifying.  Fun thing was that we didn't say a word & didn't need to.

He did catch us later when we stopped for coffee & ice cream at a control. He got stamped and was off again immediately. Didn't see him again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:54:28 pm »
Do you ever get riders asking if they can ride with you on an audax?  [/font]

Yes - generally lost sheep who have GPS issues of some kind and who have no backup and don't know how to read a routesheet.
I have always said yes to this and it's fine - someone just sitting on my back wheel would annoy me after a while though.
I did get complained at once for stopping suddenly when the person hadn't told me they were there (and I had no idea they were there) - that got a short reply...........

And if you agree, do you feel obliged
to ride at his/her speed, if he/she is much slower than you?

Not a problem as I am quite slow - if they want to go quicker they certainly can - it's not faster when you don't know where you are going  :)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:12:17 pm »

The reason is wind and lack of hills. It take some time to learn.
Normally I'm Cpt. Slow and one of the last riders.  Sometimes we've formed a groupetto and supported each other, but other times I just want to ride for myself.
 I'm slow up hills and might get dumped, but I'm a ruthless crazy fast downhill rider (Other peoples description) So unless the terrain is flat, I can be difficult to follow.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:31:29 pm »
We were riding 2 abreast in a fast group and one peeled off to the outside and the other peeled off down the gutter margin.

I thought they were doing it, so there weren't two on the outside and the motons would get slightly less pissy. Didn't work though as we got masses of grief and ended up splitting our 9 man bunch into two to protect ourselves. The Danish motons would rather skim close past a long string of riders than have to perform a proper overtaking manoeuvre.

The Swedes peel off down the inside.

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
Want to be alone?
Simple. Go a different route.

Its worked for years.

I'll now tell the tale of the rider who came up to the queue for the control stamp and reported to the control marshall "that one there didn't follow the route!"
Unfortunately, he had five brevet cards in his hand which he was going to get stamped for his mates who had gone to order food.

"Whose names are on those cards?" I asked.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:49:08 pm »
I think the subtext to this thread is that audax riders are pretty bad at group riding. We all go along and do our own thing. The thing is that if you need to ask you have to make an effort and that is hard. If you just find you are occupying the same part of the road that is good because you are just riding at the same speed.

It normally does't bother me about this but if you are riding behind some one who insits on making 5 yards on you they do not understand that you will both finish faster with co-operation. Then again wheel suckers are the devils own work. I once did a 200 and was wheel sucked by a rider for 150km. I slowed down speeded up, complained at him and in the end gave up and just rode to the end, with him on my wheel. He then told the organiser it was his fastest 200 ever and he had just felt good all the way round. By this time I had given up talking to him.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:56:20 pm »

We do this on our club runs, but you have to pick your moments as if you do it just as a chain of cars is about to pass then they don't like it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2015, 06:58:02 pm »
I must be in the minority.  I don't mind people drafting or using me as a GPS. As I do a lot of solo rides, I'm used to being exposed to the wind, so basically I'm doing my normal ride but with someone in tow.

« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »
Two instances recently...

On the Stevenage Summertime a totally clueless newbie without GPS or routesheet got spat out by his club 'friends', ambushed me when I stopped to put on a jacket and asked if he could ride behind me. Now it was a b£$%$tard headwind that day and I was already pretty shattered with a good 80km to go. Wind was strong enough to take me down to 10-12kph on occasion and my time back for 100km was 7.5 hours. I really wasn't in the mood to be towing someone along, but I let him sit there until the next control. He asked if he could follow me for the next one and I said 'Not really'. There were plenty of other people around and I saw him take off behind two others soon enough. I didn't have the energy to educate him, I had just enough humour left to suffer along by myself. If he had equipped, either intellectually or practically, I would have been much more sympathetic - we all have bad days. On the same ride I was very happy to pace a guy who said he was in trouble fitness wise, but he knew where he was going and wasn't taking the p*ss.

Reminds me of a time before when I saw a guy hopping from group to group up the road. Finally figured out that he had no GPS or routesheet and was entirely reliant on piggy backing. Not great. Many hours later he was back on my wheel when a sheeting downpour hit. I pulled over and hid under a tree. He either had to stop and show just how arrogant he was being, or plow ahead. 'Is it this way?' he asked, 'Yep!'. And it was, but there were several turns coming up and I didn't see him again...

I mean it's not that hard to download and read a route sheet is it?

As for people behind in general, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes ok. I never set out with a group, I find that way too restrictive and I get really sick of watching buttocks not scenery. If they come up beside to have a chat then that's good, if not one way or the other they are going to be off the back or off the front soon enough. Generally I find groups of riders who are riding together a bit of a pain to be with. They have rules and pace and expectations and blah de blah, so I often find myself just backing off and, you know, enjoying riding my bike in the landscape. 

That feeling of becoming responsible for someone isn't great either - not because it's not a good thing to do, but because you end up riding at someone elses paces - and that can kill a ride. I have bonked out of rides twice - both times after becoming 'attached' and getting my pacing all wrong.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2015, 07:01:48 pm »
It works well taking turns.

Wheelsuckers who are persistent clingons get told to either get to the front or fuck off.

H