Author Topic: Cannot obtain gmapsupp.img for France from OSM site  (Read 2277 times)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
Cannot obtain gmapsupp.img for France from OSM site
« on: 19 July, 2015, 08:10:01 am »
I'm having difficulty getting a map of France from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/  I chose Generic Routable and the country pre-selection for France.  Lower on the page, under "Request your map or download it directly" is a single link "Download map now!".  Following this takes me to a page which shows a metadata folder and osm_generic_tiles.zip, the latter described as "Compressed file containing the tiles and overview map. This is useful for applications like Qlandkarte and Linux users".

The zip archive does indeed only contain individual tiles.  I was hoping to obtain a gmapsupp.img, as described on dcrainmaker's site, and/or the windows.exe, as described in the OSM manual.  I don't really want to have to get into the toolset to stich the indiviudal tiles together, so would appreciate some help.  Have other forumites successfully obtained a Garmin OSM map for France?  I got one for Germany last year but can't remember how.  FWIW I'm using IE11.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Re: Cannot obtain gmapsupp.img for France from OSM site
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:42:53 am »
AFAIK, If you want one map  you have to build it as a custom file, a 1.4Gb file may well have performance issues

ETA Meant to add there is also the combiner, here http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/openfietsmap/OSM_Combiner/readme.html

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:44:38 am »
I also use the site. I usually choose the Routable Bicycle (openfietsmap lite) option as that seems to work best with Garmin Edge GPS. When it comes to the download page, I download the compressed file containing the single image which I then unzip and place in the Garmin directory of a micro SD card.

I add countries to that directory as I need them. I started with UK and Spain then added Holland and Germany (so far). Had no problems doing it this way.

Hope this helps.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2015, 12:12:27 pm »
Probably just a random server problem, seems it sometimes doesn't generate all of the maps correctly.

The maps for France all seem to be available now, including the windows exe and the gmapsupp: http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/15-07-2015/246955bab23943d112092ac0a3a68f34/

I recommend the option "Generic Routable (new style)", I think it looks a lot nicer on most Garmin devices.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:46:40 pm »
I usually choose the Routable Bicycle (openfietsmap lite) option as that seems to work best with Garmin Edge GPS. When it comes to the download page, I download the compressed file containing the single image which I then unzip and place in the Garmin directory of a micro SD card.

I add countries to that directory as I need them. I started with UK and Spain then added Holland and Germany (so far). Had no problems doing it this way.

Hope this helps.

Did you just copy the img file across to the SDcard?
I have a microSD card for an etrex30 which I load via BaseCamp.
But having just got myself the OVMlite of all of France & to Barcelona via the Basecamp .zip and .exe options, the .exe won't let me rename the .img file and uninstalled a previous .exe version which was my UK/Eire map. (It ignore my Benelux map leaving it as is, but that did arrive with a unique name when I got my download).

The uSD card has enough space for all 3.

I can work around it for now because I only need France for a club Raid Alps for next week or so, then for PBP, then I can re-install UK from scratch and ditch France, but it would be nice to have 3 or 4 mapsets to save re-installing over again, if I can.  UK, Flanders, Mallorca are all frequent trips and a Mosel trip coming next year would all be nice to have, without inflating to an "all of Europe" monster.
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2015, 06:07:22 pm »
Assuming you have a reasonably new Garmin** - copy .img file directly into the
[card]\Garmin\
folder, or into the
[GPS]\Garmin\
folder, either or both should work.  Rename .img files to suit, as you go, switch the maps on and off in the GPS menus.  The filenames you use will probably not reflect in the map menus on the Garmin - they could easily all seem to be called the same thing but nevertheless will work together, or separately, and be independently switchable.

** almost none of this applies to older Legend/Vista types.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2015, 06:24:55 pm »
For using this website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
If you choose a predefined country, it will have a unique ID and name etc. So you can download multiple countries, and install them all in Basecamp, then switch between them as required. You can also install several different styles of map, eg Generic Routable or Openfietsmap Lite, then switch between them.

If you use the option for "manual tile selection", that will have a different ID, as a custom map. But it will be the same ID as any custom maps you have downloaded previously. So if you install it in Basecamp, it will replace any custom maps you have previously installed.

So either download one country at a time, or make a custom map for all of the tiles you want, which could include a number of countries. Though that could give you a huge file to download. I think that website is limited to 4GB for a custom map.
For loading on a Garmin device, it seems most are limited to 2GB or 4GB for each map.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:19:59 pm »
http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/

Try this, it's dead simple. Maps for computer (PC or Mac) and or GPS.

Most countries available.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »
http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/

Try this, it's dead simple. Maps for computer (PC or Mac) and or GPS.

+1

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »

Europe only.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
Indeed.

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »
Canary Islands, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Azores and Belarus as well. Not sure what counts as Europe these days!

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2015, 08:54:31 am »
Downloaded French maps from 'de' site onto micro card on Etrex. They appear on the card when connected to PC but they don't seem to register as a map on the set-up menu so that it can be 'enabled' on the Etrex...any suggestions?
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
Must be the .img file.  Must be situated inside the \Garmin\ folder.  If it's an older Etrex (Legend or Vista), must be named gmapsupp.img

If none of that works, it could just be a corrupt file.

« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2015, 06:17:58 pm »
Downloaded French maps from 'de' site onto micro card on Etrex. They appear on the card when connected to PC but they don't seem to register as a map on the set-up menu so that it can be 'enabled' on the Etrex...any suggestions?

you *did* perform an eject/sync/safely remove hardware on the sd card ? -whenever I've had problems that's been the issue - the computer hasn't necessarily flushed all writes to the card otherwise, so as frankie suggested, you wind up with a corrupt file, although it'll look like it's there.

« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2015, 07:30:51 pm »
Thanks for advice, sorted now. Two problems - it wasn't in the Garmin folder and :facepalm: I hadn't unzipped it.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:46:21 am »
I did think of mentioning that but I thought  ::-) nah, too obvious.  ;)