Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882166 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21675 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:46:40 pm »
Dutton Locks for a play in the lanes and a ride up the Weaver,   nice in the sun but it was a drag into a cold wind home. 82km.

« Reply #21676 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:47:34 pm »
A cold but beautiful day, 25 or so miles with a Sustrans group, including a new return to cyclist.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21677 on: 25 February, 2018, 07:03:45 pm »
Yeah I rode to Warmley Waiting Room (maybe five miles each way?) with Ian for coffee. He remarked it was the first time he'd seen not wearing SPD shoes. It was cold. We talked handmade frames and hand-picked components. It was cold. Oh, and it got really rather cold as well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21678 on: 25 February, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »
Tandem club ride today but I didn't get very far.  Half a mile in climbing out of Morpeth I snapped the timing chain on the Circe Helios. I had a 9 speed link but not a single speed one unfortunately so for me and little Joe the ride was over, lesson in preparedness learnt.   

rogerdodge

• But that was 25 years ago!
« Reply #21679 on: 26 February, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »
Oh, Sunday in the Warwickshire lanes was beautiful. The weather was brisk but I was not. 51 miles of clear sky and clear roads. Downside? Well it looks as if HS2 preparations are starting. I never expected rail to be the enemy...

« Reply #21680 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:17:41 pm »
Checkout the gardens outside Euston Station...

« Reply #21681 on: 27 February, 2018, 12:25:44 am »
A local potter to Tesco this afternoon was enlivened by meeting a cyclist called Terry Trevor riding on a ratcatcher recumbent bike.He was riding into London and I was able to guide him across to Langley along quiet ish roads . I then rode back to slough arriving just as Tesco closed   ::-) . A enjoyable little ride .  :)

It was a pleasure to bump into you, cycleman! Thanks for showing me a nice way to Langley, and sorry for making you miss the supermarket  :facepalm:

Here's the route I did from Flackwell Heath to Hoxton: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20980537

It was interesting going via the village of Sipson, blighted by the Heathrow expansion proposals. I've been there twice before -- once with the Climate Camp in 2007 and then to their summer fair a few years later.

And when I got back to my local (The Wenlock Arms, Hoxton) I discovered that one of the regulars there was born and brought up in Harmondsworth, which the airport owners will trash if they have their dastardly way. Said regular has happy memories of cycling along Harmondsworth Lane and Sipson Lane with friends as a boy in the '60s.

Anyway, a luta continua, as they say. See you up the road!

« Reply #21682 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:49:14 pm »
Just up the Crow: It was sunny between the snow flurries

Sunshine and ice on the Crow by sg310, on Flickr

« Reply #21683 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:32:58 pm »
A local potter to Tesco this afternoon was enlivened by meeting a cyclist called Terry Trevor riding on a ratcatcher recumbent bike.He was riding into London and I was able to guide him across to Langley along quiet ish roads . I then rode back to slough arriving just as Tesco closed   ::-) . A enjoyable little ride .  :)

It was a pleasure to bump into you, cycleman! Thanks for showing me a nice way to Langley, and sorry for making you miss the supermarket  :facepalm:

Here's the route I did from Flackwell Heath to Hoxton: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20980537

It was interesting going via the village of Sipson, blighted by the Heathrow expansion proposals. I've been there twice before -- once with the Climate Camp in 2007 and then to their summer fair a few years later.

And when I got back to my local (The Wenlock Arms, Hoxton) I discovered that one of the regulars there was born and brought up in Harmondsworth, which the airport owners will trash if they have their dastardly way. Said regular has happy memories of cycling along Harmondsworth Lane and Sipson Lane with friends as a boy in the '60s.

Anyway, a luta continua, as they say. See you up the road!

I ride through sipson occasionally when London bound and I like the little bridge at the west end of the village  .  I used the local Tesco in wexham road which is a bit more expensive but open till 10.00pm on Sunday's .   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21684 on: 27 February, 2018, 07:50:36 pm »
Extended the commute a bit to enjoy some tracks in the fresh snow. With a bright moon and the snow, I turned my light off for a bit too.

And there was me thinking my 3" tyres had arrived too late for winter ;D

« Reply #21685 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:08:50 pm »
I went out on my MTB today. It was snowing pretty heavily when I set off. I was wrapped up with plenty of layers and finished off the look with some ski goggles as sunglasses just wouldn't cut it with all the snow.

It was great fun to start with and I found myself loling on a few occassions as I zipped through the woods, sliding all over the place. After a while I started to get pretty cold and my water bottle was mostly frozen so I could only get little sips out of it.

I'd just got to the top of a hill and was trying to shift back up a ring at the front.. but no go - the mech was covered in ice and wouldn't budge, so all I achieved was snapping the gear cable  ::-) Not to worry, being stuck in the granny was no big deal as it was pretty hard going anyway.

My route home was perhaps a little unwise. I forgot just how open it was and I felt the full force of The Beast. It was horrible. By now I was frozen and starting to bonk too. My water bottle was now completely solid so I couldn't even get the top thing open.

I struggled on, altering my route as much as possible to stay sheltered without putting on too much distance.

I eventually made it home after about 3 hours for a ride that would have taken considerably less in better weather.

When I got in, I suddenly felt dizzy and had to sit down. Then I felt unbearably hot in the warmth of the house, so stripped off. I thought I was going to be sick, but I perked up pretty quickly and got stuck into the tea.

I warmed up eventually and went out and put the bike away which had just been dumped in the back garden.

My hands are still a bit sore, but other than that, all is good.

A fine way to spend a morning :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #21686 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »
A cautionary tale, which makes me feel a lot better about my decision to wimp out.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21687 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »
I have been doing quite a bit of walking. I've been lovely* and warm!

*I suppose that is more for others to judge... but the warmth I have generated has been lovely!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21688 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:06:55 am »
Bunged some 35mm CX tyres on yesterday and popped out for a brisk 20 miles in the snow and ferocious wind. Only real concern was the tossers driving around like it was a balmy summer evening. Quite good fun all told!

« Reply #21689 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:19:15 am »
Nothing rideable round here but a great Nordic walk this morning.
Snow shoes would have been useful for the 1metre drifts.
One or two numpty drivers trying to drive impassable lanes but it added to my general entertainment!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21690 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:25:36 pm »
Went out to chase my son home from sledging

Was deep in places

« Reply #21691 on: 04 March, 2018, 06:50:42 pm »
Went for a 2hr pootle to Dorchester Abbey with some off-roads bits - 90s MTB style.  MattC were you out with the DPCC ride I saw at Lg Wittenham?

IMG_20180304_134405009_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180304_132912058 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180304_140744937_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21692 on: 04 March, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »
Interesting contrast between Andy's photos today and PaulF's from Friday. Doesn't look as if it ever snowed round Abingdon way!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21693 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:59:34 pm »
Yes, a quick thaw.  Some bits left.

IMG_20180304_131148433 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21694 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »
Just a couple of kilometers into Playas to return the rental bike, followed by a fairly hot and humid stroll back. Just since Monday, I'd forgotten quite how nasty that bike was to ride. It must be a psychological self-defence mechanism. The reasons it rides horribly would take too long to list but I'm very happy that I won't be riding it again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21695 on: 04 March, 2018, 09:03:14 pm »
The Sundays I've ridden this year I have been focusing on the meters climbed.  I've been seeking 1000m per 50km routes as that is the TINAT 300 climb rate.  All very well but my rides have tended to be short.  I felt I needed longer in the saddle too.  I've also headed inland or south exclusively.  Time for something longer and to the north.

North from Marina di Massa mean flat & uninteresting and predictably into a headwind.  17Km in I reached the derelict retail parks of Sarzana and after that I came upon Torrione Testaforte and then through the old town:

Then it was past derelict industrial zones, railway yards, container ports, an M5 Portishead style beside-the-motorway bridge, more industrial zones and paralleling Autostradas to 41Km.  This is the best route to a World Heritage site?  Hmmmm.

Then things changed.  I turned off the SP10 before Padivarma and had the roads to myself.  Yes small roads occasionally lumpsome but there were equal stretches of pristine tarmac too.  I crossed this pictureskew bridge complete with many missing planks

and continued to Pignone (52Km) where a spot of navigation issues caused by a road I was due to take being no entry resulted in an unscheduled visit to the town square.  Shame eh?

In those 11 Km I saw 4 cars and 3 of those were in the 100mtr link on a bigger road just after the bridge.  Smiles very much returning.
From there the only road would be hellish in the summer but was OK today.  The snow got thicker and the temperature colder until at about 500mtr altitude both trends reversed.  At 630mtr I crested the route to the coast.  Part way down the other side I stopped to take in this:

A grinworthy hurtle down to Monterosso (69km), the most northern of the Cinque Terre towns
I'd planned two return options, due in equal measures to legs & time I took the easier.  Either involved getting on a train.  A colleague had gone on about the fantastic achievement of building the railway line here.  I'm sure it's a wonder but from inside it's just tunnels.  The trains are great though, at the front I found a huge cycle compartment with 10 danglespaces and room for stacks more than that.

The easy option took me to La Spezia.  Interesting Art Deco town with oodles of opportunity to be squished.  Escaping that past more ports, military ports, container yards and over a smaller (but quite nice) lump to rejoin the flatlands half way home (16Km). Once on the flat I opened the taps and fair destroyed my legs.  My speed is flattered by the tailwind but I left nothing in reserve.

Out to Monterosso
Back from La Spezia
101Km and 890mtr
More pictures

Once again I have been lucky with the weather, Thursday it snowed, Friday it rained, Saturday it binned it down all day and today it was dry until 2 km from my Hotel  ;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21696 on: 05 March, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
Solo loop, 48 km. 1st ride in >2 weeks. Knackered now & bum abraded. Decent speed for an old bugger, though. 13°C ave. but still heaps of snow here & there. I most meritoriously rode straight past not just one cake & coffee shop, but two.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21697 on: 11 March, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »
Another Sunday, another ride out! Woke up stupidly early, so got up, ate breakfast then waited for sunrise. Once it had, I got my cycling gear on, got the bike out of the garage and set off, aiming to go further than two weeks ago (didn't get out last week, I might need the miles, but not that desperately!).

14.3 miles, 894ft.  That'll do!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21698 on: 11 March, 2018, 05:44:53 pm »
Temperature was firmly into double figures and it wasn't raining[1], which made it a legal requirement to go for a bike ride.

I set out on the gritted-road-sand-not-too-far-from-a-railway 40km loop planning to turn round before turning to jelly, but that didn't actually happen.  I was slow, and my heart rate was alarmingly high throughout, but I felt unfit rather than horridly ill.  That counts as an improvement.

Question is, will I suffer a lurgy relapse tomorrow...?

[1] It didn't stay not raining.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21699 on: 11 March, 2018, 07:16:50 pm »
Flippers and snorkel weather all day. Snuck out for 10 km of intervals at 18:30 between downpours.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.