Author Topic: Coventry Eagle  (Read 10060 times)

Coventry Eagle
« on: 23 April, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »
My girlfriend knows someone who may be selling one locally  - 531 and with a mixte frame, just what she's after  :). Hope I get to see it  - love classic lightweights

Are Coventry Eagle at all related to British Eagle? Anyone here got one?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Coventry Eagle
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2009, 08:51:27 pm »
Pretty sure that the Eagles aren't related ... IIRC the British Eagle was a low-ish spec range of bikes.

My wife had an excellent step-through 531 Cov Eagle, pale metallic green, chrome forkends etc ... she liked riding it but we then found a Claud Butler Majestique Mixte frame which she preferred and so recycled the bits of the Cov to the Claud ... and sold the frame at a satisfactory profit!

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2009, 09:54:04 pm »
My girlfriend knows someone who may be selling one locally  - 531 and with a mixte frame, just what she's after  :). Hope I get to see it  - love classic lightweights

Are Coventry Eagle at all related to British Eagle? Anyone here got one?

Both owned by Falcon it seems
Welcome to Falcon Cycles
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2009, 09:21:31 am »
Yes, they are related, as Nobby says, and both produced bikes at varying points on the quality scale.  There are some really crappy Coventry Eagle bikes out there (ask Tarpaulin Dave.  Or, rather, don't - ask Nobby ;D ).  But some decent ones, too (though no great ones).  Check it out carefully.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »
Pretty sure that the Eagles aren't related ... IIRC the British Eagle was a low-ish spec range of bikes.

British Eagle famously made one great bike

mine

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »
Yup.  The Touristique was a classic.  But they look crap in red  :demon:
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2009, 06:57:06 pm »
Yes, they are related, as Nobby says, and both produced bikes at varying points on the quality scale.  There are some really crappy Coventry Eagle bikes out there (ask Tarpaulin Dave.  Or, rather, don't - ask Nobby ;D ).  But some decent ones, too (though no great ones).  Check it out carefully.

Ah, now I refrained from mentioning TD's Coventry Eagle but since you mention it - it is a bunch of gas pipes, poorly joined by rust, with a thin coating of black paint that adheres only where the rust hasn't got under it. He loves it dearly because it has a 531 sticker on it (not double butted or anything) and therefore it must be good.  :D
I thought the only thing Coventry Eagle were renowned for was a pressed steel motorcycle and that only because it was out of the ordinary, not because it was anything special.  ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2009, 09:41:30 pm »
Oh do stop sitting on the fence! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »
Coventry Eagle were part of 'The British Eagle range of cycles' (according to the mid 1980's brochure I have). The other badge was 'Barry Hoban' used on their racers. They were at : Eagle Cycleworks, Mochdre, Newtown, Powys.

The 'Touristique' was their most expensive model at £283. In the brochure it's shown as a 'Coventry Eagle' but is otherwise the identical twin of the rather tired 'British Eagle' 'Touristique' I bought off ebay for £50 2 years ago as a ride it-to-town steed.  (After using it for a while, including trips to the North York Moors, I decided it was worthy of a total makeover that'll soon be complete).

Unfortunately the brochure doesn't show any mixte style frames in 531, only one in 453 for 'today's racy feminists'!  It was 'The Creation', model number 35, a snip at £172.

Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:17:36 pm »
Coventry Eagle were part of 'The British Eagle range of cycles' (according to the mid 1980's brochure I have). The other badge was 'Barry Hoban' used on their racers. They were at : Eagle Cycleworks, Mochdre, Newtown, Powys.

The 'Touristique' was their most expensive model at £283. In the brochure it's shown as a 'Coventry Eagle' but is otherwise the identical twin of the rather tired 'British Eagle' 'Touristique' I bought off ebay for £50 2 years ago as a ride it-to-town steed.  (After using it for a while, including trips to the North York Moors, I decided it was worthy of a total makeover that'll soon be complete).

Unfortunately the brochure doesn't show any mixte style frames in 531, only one in 453 for 'today's racy feminists'!  It was 'The Creation', model number 35, a snip at £172.

The Touristique was a classic.  And they look great in red

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:26:16 pm »

The Touristique was a classic.  And they look great in red

Or as a gunmetal grey fixie  ;)

Though mine no longer has the origional forks due to a shoe, spokes , forks interface that the forks and my elbow lost.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »
someone gave me a coventry eagle a couple of years ago
it was 99% rust and went to the tip fairly quick

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2009, 07:16:43 am »
Let me guess!  You are a binman waste disposal operative recycling technician?
Move Faster and Bake Things