Author Topic: Audax & Charity  (Read 6894 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Audax & Charity
« on: 31 March, 2008, 10:59:05 am »
Is there anything against the rules/spirit of Audax against doing it as a charity ride?

I'd like to do a charity ride this year and finding an organised ride, at the right time with a suitable distance and route is a little challenging.

Being new to cycling I'd like to do something with some support - I appreciate that Audax is meant to be independent but I think I'd have more chance of help from fellow riders in the event of an accident/mechanical on an Audax than doing 100 miles solo.

So would it be a major breach of etiquette?

Thanks

Julian

• samoture
Re: Audax & Charity
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:05:27 am »
I don't know (helpful as ever) but my instinct says it would probably be frowned on.

I think I'd find it a bit cheeky if I was riding an audax and someone told me they were doing it for charity - it seems to be completely against the spirit of the thing.  Maybe I'm a miserable old bag.

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:06:40 am »
Not a problem as I understand it, just don't hassle anyone on the ride (or the organisers/helpers) for sponsorship/donations.

Many people did LEL 2005 for various charities.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
It's not something I would do, but each to their own.

As to why not, Sheldon said it best: http://sheldonbrown.com/thons.html

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:10:08 am »
Officially AUK has nothing to say about it so long as you abide by the rules of the event, and don't bombard the organisers or riders with requests for donations.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:13:53 am »
Not a problem as I understand it, just don't hassle anyone on the ride (or the organisers/helpers) for sponsorship/donations.

Many people did LEL 2005 for various charities.

So the collecting tin cunningly designed to fit in a bottle cage should go then :)

For clarity the aim was just to get riding support from the Audax - the charity contributions would come from friends,  family colleagues etc.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:15:10 am »
Maybe I'm a miserable old bag.

Certainly not! You're not old.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:31:35 pm »
OK, so what about the reverse.. IE a charity ride ( organised ) as a DIY ?  For instance the Norwich 100 Mile ?

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:02:55 pm »
OK, so what about the reverse.. IE a charity ride ( organised ) as a DIY ?

Would be fine in theory. However you'd need to figure out where to use as controls for proof of passage and the shortest distance between them would be the distance you're credited with. I very much doubt a certificate saying "I completed the Tinpot Wheelers 100 mile ride, etc." would be acceptable. IME charity rides often go somewhat torturous routes which doesn't exactly make them easy to do as DIY's.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 03:46:08 pm »
OK, so what about the reverse.. IE a charity ride ( organised ) as a DIY ?  For instance the Norwich 100 Mile ?

You'd probably be OK as it will attract neither AAA or AUK points.

I know the official AUK line is that you can't ride 2 events at once which I take to mean AUK rides; however I personally would not try to get AUK accreditation for a ride e.g. La Marmotte which I was doing as an event in itself.

When I did the Norwich 100 it was organised by C+ and was stressed as a non-sponsored ride which you could ride and collect for whichever charity you wanted; this didn't stop Norwich Cathedral sending out begging letters for their steeple with the rider packs  >:(

Presumably the HSBC BHF have taken it over now?

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:17:36 pm »
This question pops up now and again.  As Ian said, if you keep it low profile I expect that no-one's likely to foam at the mouth.  If you flag it up on the AUKlist I don't doubt you'd get snarled at by some.

I seem to recall that FWN has funds-raised on some of his epics, including LEL.

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 07:09:49 pm »
If you can do it as a permanent , do it.  When you stop to get a control stamp someone will soon ask "Is it for charity?"  Perfect opportunity  :thumbsup:  I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked and I now prefer ATMs for that very reason.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »
If you can do it as a permanent , do it.  When you stop to get a control stamp someone will soon ask "Is it for charity?"  Perfect opportunity  :thumbsup:  I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked and I now prefer ATMs for that very reason.

we got the usual "It is for charity right?" at Membury on Sunday am (yes Sunday am not Saturday night) I resisted the temptation to say "no it's for fun" for fear of being ejected.

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:23:58 pm »
I'd like to do a charity ride this year and finding an organised ride, at the right time with a suitable distance and route is a little challenging.

I did my first LEL as a charity ride.  I just arranged with my chosen charity that I would seek sponsorship, and pass over all the money I collected.  Didn't make a big thing of it, or seek permission, or get any flak.

I'm not a fan of the "free holiday if you attract X in sponsorship" charidee rides.  Since nowadays I just do these rides, it seems somehow inappropriate to seek sponsorship.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »
 When I did LEL in 2005 I raised money for BLISS the prem baby charity using Just Giving .com
http://www.justgiving.com/LELforBLISS

I did contact Simon Doughty to ask his permission and then set about posting links on forums and e-mails, get friends to add a link in their e-mail signature,, local papers etc.
 It is an easy way to raise money for a charity and avoids the hassle of having to get the money afterwards.
I managed £1706  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"