Author Topic: Start Time/Group  (Read 25934 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Start Time/Group
« Reply #50 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:59:00 pm »
Having read the advice here I think it makes sense to take a 90hr start.

But what about the start groups?
Are the first few fast serious riders, followed by a jittery mess and then relaxed groups?

I usually roll along in the low to mid 20kmh range and don't like jittery groups but at the same time don't like queuing when under time pressure much... (even if there's absolutely no pressure of time at all)

« Reply #51 on: 23 November, 2018, 10:10:11 am »
But what about the [90 hour] start groups?
Are the first few fast serious riders, followed by a jittery mess and then relaxed groups?

I usually roll along in the low to mid 20kmh range and don't like jittery groups but at the same time don't like queuing when under time pressure much... (even if there's absolutely no pressure of time at all)
See posts #14 and #24 above. Each start group is 200+ riders. The first few 90 hour starts will, I surmise, be filled mostly with riders who've completed at least a 600 in 2018 and a good proportion will have completed a 1000+ this year. But will this self selecting set be "fast serious riders"? Again the answer is (I guess) some will and some won't.
Last time 1500 odd of completing (90-hour) riders finished with less than 4 hours to spare, and they all started as 'touristes' and most will have enjoyed the pleasures of the bulge (and "queuing when under time pressure much... even if there's absolutely no pressure of time at all") all the way round.

« Reply #52 on: 23 November, 2018, 04:44:10 pm »
Going to try 80h again. With gears.

No chance of dragging 'er indoors along for another go?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 24 November, 2018, 04:20:32 pm »
But what about the [90 hour] start groups?

See posts #14 and #24 above. Each start group is 200+ riders. The first few 90 hour starts will, I surmise, be filled mostly with riders who've completed at least a 600 in 2018 and a good proportion will have completed a 1000+ this year. But will this self selecting set be "fast serious riders"? Again the answer is (I guess) some will and some won't.
Last time 1500 odd of completing riders finished with less than 4 hours to spare, and they all started as 'touristes' and most will have enjoyed the pleasures of the bulge (and "queuing when under time pressure much... even if there's absolutely no pressure of time at all") all the way round.

hm, yeah had read through the posts before but didn't take much from them to assist decision making; but looking back through I get the idea that starting later along with enjoying the bulge is inevitable. 
Post #16 is actually of most interest to me as like Ivo, I've a preference for sleeping late (And waking late...)
and Bairn again and Tomsk almost recommending later groups for various reasons, hm.

simonp

« Reply #54 on: 24 November, 2018, 05:15:37 pm »
Afternoon start suits me well. Really don't think a 5am start would agree with me at all.

« Reply #55 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:22:02 pm »
Pre-registration, in particular the option to select a preferred start slot looms (only 'days' for the longer BRM 2018 randonneur).
I have extracted this advice from the 2015 brochure:
http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/BROCHURE-GB.pdf
Veteran:
After many participations, you know all the nuts and bolts of long-distance riding.  You know yourself perfectly, you adapt to changing    circumstances  and finish your ride without excessive fatigue.  Of course, you will not read these lines, because you already know what you will do this time!
Your start:  You have already experienced all options. Maybe you choose the 84-hour start and set off at 5h00, to be more relaxed.
Your ride schedule (starting at 5h00):
If you feel fine, you will try to ride until Brest without sleeping, and sometimes even until Fougères on the return.  On the way out, you will make only short stops, 10 to 30 minutes. Your first overnight stop will be after 36 hours riding. At that point, you will have  caught up with those of the 90-hour field who have stopped overnight between Loudéac and Brest. You will probably reach the finish line in the late afternoon of the third day.  Your total time will be between 55 and 67 hours. Or, if you’re not feeling good, you will sleep 3 to 6 hours during the first night and then ride behind the bulk of the 90-hour field, avoiding queues and crowds and still be  able to finish within 75 to 84 hours.
Hedonist:
You are a strong rider.  You have already ridden the Paris-Brest-Paris, maybe several times and sometimes very quickly. Today, you are still able to ride fast, but you will rely on your fitness and spend time talking with people on the road and at the checkpoints.  You will make long overnight stops to fully enjoy the ride. You will avoid the  crowds by staying  ahead of most of the riders, then you will slow down and let them catch up with you.  Eventually you will use all your allotted time to get to the finish.
Your start:  In the first 90-hour waves, or in the last 80-hour waves.
Your ride schedule:
On the way out, you will make short stops (15 to 45 minutes) and a first overnight stop (5 to 7 hours) between Brest and Carhaix on the return.  Then your  stops  will  be  a  little  longer  (20  to  60  minutes)  and  you  will  have  your  second  overnight  stop between Fougères and Mortagne, in  order  to  finish  in  the  evening,  in  under  80  hours.  Or  if  you  have chosen  the  90-hour  option,  you  will  have  a  little  less  sleep  on  the  way out. You will have a third overnight stop between Villaines-la-Juhel and Dreux and finish next day around noon, at relaxed pace.
Contemplative:
You ride relatively slowly, but steadily. No doubt that you will choose the  90-hour option, to  make  the  most  of  this  beautiful randonnée. You  want  to  enjoy  the  scenery, to  talk  with  people  and  socialize.  Paris-Brest-Paris is a long journey that will enrich you. You just need to ensure a safety margin to make sure you don’t run out of time but sometimes, you will forget this safety margin!
Your start:
You choose the 90-hour  option  and  preferably  start in  the  last  waves,  so  you  can  watch  the  first  waves  taking  off.  This  will  also  allow  you  to  finish in  the  mid-afternoon  on  the  last day. If you start at 20:00, you will perhaps be back at 14:00 on the last day.
Your ride schedule: 
Depending  on  your  average  speed,  you  will  spend  from  15  to  45  minutes  at  the  checkpoints  and  other  rest  places.  You  will  try  to  have a first overnight stop between   Tinténiac and Carhaix, and a second overnight  stop  between  Carhaix  and  Tinténiac  on  the  return.  Your naps may have to be quite short, because you must make up for all the time spent off the bike. You will try  to  have  a  third  overnight  stop in  Mortagne-au-Perche  or  Dreux,  in  order  to  enjoy  the  last  stage  to  its fullest.
Athlete:
You  enter  PBP  with  the  personal  ambition  to  set  a  good  time.
Although the Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur  is  not  a  race  (you  may  find  difficult  to  accept  that  it  is  not !), you want to push your limits and achieve a ‘personal best’.
Alone or with some friend, you will join high-paced  groups  in  order  to  progress  faster,  without being averse to long solo riding when necessary. You will spend very little time off the bike.
Your start: You choose the 80-Hour option and preferably start in the first waves.  If  you  feel  that you  will  not  be  able  to  follow  the  hectic pace of the first waves, you will strategically start the next day at 5h00 (84-hour option),  so  you  will  still  be  riding  in  strong  groups  and  pass  the  checkpoints at off-peak times until Loudéac.
Your ride schedule: 
You will have very short stops on the way out (5 to 15 minutes), just enough time to get your card stamped and grab some food that you will eat on the road. You will sleep as little as your strength will allow, and maybe you will not sleep at all. Most of your fellow riders will sleep from 30 minutes to 4 hours on their way back, between Brest and Fougères.  On the return, your stops will be 10 to 30 minutes, with perhaps a second sleep stop between   Villaines-la-Juhel and Mortagne-au-Perche.  You must arrive no later than midnight if you started at 16:00.
Perseverant:
You know that you are a slow rider, perhaps  too  slow...  but  you  also know  that  you  can  finish,  come  what  may.  Your  friends  and  family  will  support  you,  they  will  follow  your progress. You will achieve your personal challenge, even if it takes 89h59.  You will experience hard times, but you will find the physical and mental strength to go further. If you ride at an average speed of 18 km/h (11.2 mph), you can stop 12 hours  overall...  which  is  not  much indeed,  and  you  will  have  to  minimize  the  time  off  the  bike  in  order  to  make  up  for  your  relatively  slow  speed. But you will finish!
Your start: 
You choose the 90-hour  option  and  preferably  start  in  the  last  waves,  in  order  to  benefit  from  maximum  daylight  on  the last day. Or, if you want to ride with groups sometimes, you might choose the first waves, but make sure to pace yourself.
Your ride schedule:  Your average speed will determine the length of your stops.  You will try to sleep in Loudéac or nearby. 

« Reply #56 on: 06 January, 2019, 03:45:21 pm »
Pre-registration, in particular the option to select a preferred start slot looms (only 'days' for the longer BRM 2018 randonneur).
I have extracted this advice from the 2015 brochure:
http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/BROCHURE-GB.pdf

Perseverant:
You know that you are a slow rider, perhaps  too  slow...  but  you  also know  that  you  can  finish,  come  what  may.  Your  friends  and  family  will  support  you,  they  will  follow  your progress. You will achieve your personal challenge, even if it takes 89h59.  You will experience hard times, but you will find the physical and mental strength to go further. If you ride at an average speed of 18 km/h (11.2 mph), you can stop 12 hours  overall...  which  is  not  much indeed,  and  you  will  have  to  minimize  the  time  off  the  bike  in  order  to  make  up  for  your  relatively  slow  speed. But you will finish!
Your start: 
You choose the 90-hour  option  and  preferably  start  in  the  last  waves,  in  order  to  benefit  from  maximum  daylight  on  the last day. Or, if you want to ride with groups sometimes, you might choose the first waves, but make sure to pace yourself.
Your ride schedule:  Your average speed will determine the length of your stops.  You will try to sleep in Loudéac or nearby.

Not much to add. I slept all together 2,5h. 89h. PBP2015. Rode alone because I was too slow to stay in groups.
Long rides - always too far

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Start Time/Group
« Reply #57 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:20:31 am »
90hrs Sunday 6.30pm :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Start Time/Group
« Reply #58 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:24:24 am »
No, it's just that it's first come first served. So more 'desirable' slots will go first.

Indeed, in 2015 the first 4 slots of the 90 hour start were the desirable slots being filled with riders who did a 1000 or a 1200 in 2014.

The 6pm and 6.15 slots were already filled by 5am this morning. My entry number is 960.

« Reply #59 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:46:04 am »
On at 6:30AM and also bagged a Sunday 1830 (Group K) slot.  Gawd Bless Mr Corless and his MP1k  :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #60 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:09:10 am »
90h 18.30

Fuck, that was Hard Work.  That has to be the most horrible website I've ever used!

It took 4 attempts to get My Account details to save. It kept blanking them out when I clicked Save!
This meant my profile was stuck at 10% complete and I couldnt proceed.
It changed languages between English and French pretty much randomly.
The payment page didnt populate the entry ID number, and it took some to-ing and fro-ing to get that to work.

But anyways, its done now and I have the confirmation emails.

« Reply #61 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:37:06 am »
90 hrs, 1745 (special needs).

I’m hoping committing to the trike won’t be a massive mistake...  :o

« Reply #62 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:04:06 am »
90 hrs 18:30 for me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:11:17 am »
On at 6:30AM and also bagged a Sunday 1830 (Group K) slot.  Gawd Bless Mr Corless and his MP1k  :thumbsup:

<ponders> I wonder what %age of Brits in the first few waves rode the MP1K? Or did lots of them ride abroad instead?
(Can you see the nation mix of registered riders?)

I think JohnL and the other trikies should be prepared for some pretty speedy 90hr riders to woosh past early on!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #64 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:21:31 am »
<ponders> I wonder what %age of Brits in the first few waves rode the MP1K?

That or the WH1K.

Not that I had PBP in mind when I entered the Scottish ride, though I do feel that getting my preferred start slot is just reward for putting up with all the damned midges.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:57:40 am »

That or the WH1K.

Not that I had PBP in mind when I entered the Scottish ride, though I do feel that getting my preferred start slot is just reward for putting up with all the damned midges.

... and I forgot there was a Mille Cymru too  :facepalm:

Around 50 finishers on each of those 3. Plus 16 from the Completely Flat Essex-to-Wales ride. (Mostly British fields on all of them, at first glance.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #66 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:16:29 am »

That or the WH1K.

... and I forgot there was a Mille Cymru too  :facepalm:

Around 50 finishers on each of those 3. Plus 16 from the Completely Flat Essex-to-Wales ride. (Mostly British fields on all of them, at first glance.)

Completely flat my arse.   I hope that was usual mattc sarcasm.   There's a reason there were only 16 finishers.

Pre-registering and getting an early group are my reward for getting round that one.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:35:43 am »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #68 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:57:13 pm »
90 hours 18:15 for me.  Looking forward to some tandem surfing   :)

« Reply #69 on: 14 January, 2019, 02:31:12 pm »
80 hours in the A group at 16:00  :thumbsup:

« Reply #70 on: 14 January, 2019, 02:55:59 pm »

I take it you'll be hunched forward rather than laid back then Rich?

« Reply #71 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:04:03 pm »

Same here!!  :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #72 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:12:23 pm »

Wave at me on the way back.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #73 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:19:08 pm »

Another one for the 4pm vedettes start :thumbsup:
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #74 on: 14 January, 2019, 03:21:54 pm »

I take it you'll be hunched forward rather than laid back then Rich?

yes indeed...I only use the laid-back bike for long rides  ;)