Author Topic: Twilight 600km  (Read 20656 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Twilight 600km
« Reply #75 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:12:04 pm »
I'm afraid I can't make next weekend but I'm planning to ride the Twilight on the weekend of the 14th June instead.

I'll be hanging on the back of the Cyclops Peleton :thumbsup: I think there'll be three of us. Would have been great if we'd all being doing it on the same weekend, but the 14th suits me much better. Shame I'll be missing Durness Duress, but a local 600 is better value than driving a 400 mile round trip for a 300.

Would you guys like any help / advice on suitable controls and accommodation for your ride? We couldn't get a bunkhouse booked anywhere and got an indoors kip only thanks to Y Lee G's stroke of genius in arranging the hire of Ballachulish Hall through his mother-in-law. There are two good bunkhouses near the Corran Ferry I can recommend.

Or you could always take your camping gear, a bottle or several of wine and tell stirring tales of PBP round the campfire before a wee chorus of Kumbayah at bedtime.  O:-)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #76 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:21:27 pm »
Envious of the sunshine
Envious of the route

Not so envious about the traffic that must have clogged Glencoe.  Was the bottle of vodie to calm the nerves afterwards?

I'll hopefully do this ride in the future - 2009 perchance?

The Rannoch Moor - Glencoe stretch was indeed a bit nerve-wracking on Saturday, with a lot of murderous/ suicidal overtaking going on. Apart from that, I don't think we got any hassle or deliberate aggression the whole weekend.

The voddie was an object trouvĂ© in the hall kitchen. We did actually desist.  O:-)

The route was as scenic as ever, the sunshine a rare treat. The road surfaces in places, especially Killin to Crianlarich (covered in both directions) and Oban to Tyndrum were appalling: heavy tar & chip surface, lots of ruts and potholes. I'm minded to try to devise a variation that covers the best bits but avoids those roads.

And yes, maybe  probably next year.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #77 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:31:41 pm »
Would you guys like any help / advice on suitable controls and accommodation for your ride? We couldn't get a bunkhouse booked anywhere and got an indoors kip only thanks to Y Lee G's stroke of genius in arranging the hire of Ballachulish Hall through his mother-in-law. There are two good bunkhouses near the Corran Ferry I can recommend.

Or you could always take your camping gear, a bottle or several of wine and tell stirring tales of PBP round the campfire before a wee chorus of Kumbayah at bedtime.  O:-)

We're already booked in the Inchree bunkhouse, thanks for the offer of help though.

Can we get a stamp onboard the Corran Ferry?

Hopefully singing will be kept to a minimum although it may act as a midgie deterrent :)
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #78 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:32:59 pm »

Mr Cyclops is very organised and we've got the bunkhouse booked  :thumbsup: (can't remember which one). I don't know where the  controls will be because McNasty still hasn't sent me my card - must admit I'm wondering what there'll be between Ballachulish and Dalmally. On the Daylight last year I was looking for Rennies after the control breakfast  :sick: and couldn't find an open shop until Loch Awe.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #79 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »

I don't know where the  controls will be because McNasty still hasn't sent me my card - must admit I'm wondering what there'll be between Ballachulish and Dalmally.

I suspect McNasty may be off on one of his jaunts round 3/4 of the UK cause he sent my card back pretty quick.
Controls are: SQ - Aberfeldy - Crainlarich or Tyndrum - Corran Ferry - Acharacle or Glenuig - Fort Bill - Oban - Lochearnhead or Callender - SQ

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #80 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:40:56 pm »

must admit I'm wondering what there'll be between Ballachulish and Dalmally. On the Daylight last year I was looking for Rennies after the control breakfast  :sick: and couldn't find an open shop until Loch Awe.

Ah, for the permanent, you have to turn west towards Oban after the Connell Bridge. Control at the 24 hour garage at Dunbeg: well stocked as far as 24 hour garages go. Not much, if anything open before there, assuming you're there early Sunday am.
Then retrace east, with the incentive of a fry-up at the Crianlarich station caff.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #81 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »
Can we get a stamp onboard the Corran Ferry?
We got a blank "Highland Ferries" ticket on the boat, and got the guy to write the time on. It was ok last year. Alternatively there is a pub at each end.

I suspect McNasty may be off on one of his jaunts round 3/4 of the UK cause he sent my card back pretty quick.
He's still at home, so might be worth giving him a call. PM me if you need his number. He rang me last night, to invite me to join him and Andrew Sinclair on their "Round the Coast" perm, leaving on Saturday. But it's only 2260k, so not really worth the bother of pumping my tyres up again. 

« Reply #82 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:09:30 pm »

Mr Cyclops is very organised and we've got the bunkhouse booked  :thumbsup: (can't remember which one). I don't know where the  controls will be because McNasty still hasn't sent me my card - must admit I'm wondering what there'll be between Ballachulish and Dalmally. On the Daylight last year I was looking for Rennies after the control breakfast  :sick: and couldn't find an open shop until Loch Awe.

If McNasty is off and awa' cawin' I can give you a card for the Twilight - I got it last year and have not used it yet...I'll bring it with me on Sunday.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #83 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:17:46 am »
I'm afraid I can't make next weekend but I'm planning to ride the Twilight on the weekend of the 14th June instead.

Good luck to Cyclops and valkyrie look? for this weekend's outing. The forecast looks not bad. Did I mention we had sunshine?  8)

I won't be thinking of you as I shall be Mostly Getting Fu' at a wedding in Stranraer.

Don't forget your song-sheets.  ;)

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #84 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
Noodley, RJMcB, David F and I sheltered in the hotel at Acharacle on our 600 last year, watching the rain stottin' off the tables outside .  ::-) :'(

We were there at 6.30 pm last time, but that was off a 6am start from here, so ETA say between 7 and 8, on the assumption (fingers crossed) that we are riding at a gentlemanly pace. I think a seat in the bar, maybe even a small glass of Magners, would be The Very Ticket.

The Angus peloton will also have to stop for a control, coke and crisps at Lochailort, here

since we are doing the DIY Gie's A Light version, not McNasty's Twilight.

Perhaps we could have pieces at the hotel, then a burger over the road before we set off.

err, Why? The Daylight/Twilight goes past Lochailort and there's no other way, so why do you need it as a control for the Gie's A Light? Controls on DIYs/Perms are a bit of a mystery to me ???

« Reply #85 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:21:08 pm »
....why do you need it as a control for the Gie's A Light?

Devised by Eck.
It's a pub.
There is no need other than that.   ;D

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #86 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:15:53 pm »

....why do you need it as a control for the Gie's A Light?

Devised by Eck.
It's a pub.
There is no need other than that.   ;D
::-)
Ok then, apart from that...

There has always been an info control on that road for the Daylight event, and AFAIK for the Twilight, when Duncan Peet organised them. To prevent riders taking a short cut.

Acharacle to Fort William via the Lochailort - Glenfinnan road approx 44 miles
Acahracle to Fort William retracing via the Corran Ferry (if you're fast enough) approx 36 miles. Not that anyone I know would dream of doing that. Dearie me, no.   ;)

And, ISTR the Daylight didn't have a control at Fort William, so you could scoot back to the Corran Ferry and down to the next control at Inchree or Ballachulish cutting a good 25 miles off. 

y lee g

« Reply #87 on: 13 June, 2008, 02:34:29 pm »
Good luck this weekend fellas. 

I am sadly confined to barracks this weekend after spending lots of audax brownie points in May.   :'(

You'll by flying after Lochailort! 

« Reply #88 on: 13 June, 2008, 02:39:01 pm »

You'll by flying after Lochailort! 

It's the somewhat breezy conditions on the way to Lochailort that's more of a concern. But you can't really complain about a tailwind for the final 300km ;)

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #89 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:50:44 pm »
According to MetCheck, there's to be SLEET :o at Fort William tonight. Luckily for us it seems it'll be a lot milder by the time we get there, but I think it's going to be a bit cloudy and there might be the odd shower. That combined with the headwind sounds a bit too much like PBP, but WTF, it's a weekend on the bike and that's what matters. :)

« Reply #90 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:01:23 am »
We're back! Got into SQ at 7pm last night.

Pretty nice weather. Just a half hour downpour in Glencoe which made the Wacky Races Road of Death (aka A82) even more ridiculous. Headwind all the way to Lochailart but at least it made the ride home yesterday easier

Great company and riding. Inchree bunkhouse highly recommended (although we had to make do with duvets and pillows as they'd run out of curtains  :P)

I may stick up some foties when I can figure out how

y lee g

« Reply #91 on: 16 June, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »
Well done in tricky conditions gents. 

A82 - yep its not much fun when you have to constantly be on guard to bail out from oncoming overtaking vehicles.     

G

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #92 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:24:32 pm »
My memories always seem a bit jumbled up immediately after a big ride, but here's a few highlights from our weekend -

5am start from South Queensferry - sunny weather and nae traffic all the way to Crieff, clouding over a bit as we approached Aberfeldy. Normal cafe hadn't opened but the combined bakery/cafe next door did fantastic steak pies and cream donuts.

Very cold after Aberfeldy but things brightened up once we got to Loch Tay. The wind kept our speed down - we needed to work hard just to maintain 22kmh!

On the way into Glencoe Stephen got forced off the road by an on-coming motorbike overtaking. I don't think the bike even saw us - even though we were practically riding in the gutter he only missed by a few inches.

Arriving at Ballachulish at about quarter to 5 was a great relief after endless hours battling wind and traffic. We had a snack there, bought provisions for supper and reckoned on having just enough time to book in at the bunkhouse then catch the ferry. Team Time-Trialled to the bunkhouse, but we hadn't allowed for the world's slowest check-in. Eventually we managed to dump our stuff in the room and sprint to the ferry, which we made with a minute to spare.

The ride down the coast from the ferry made all the day's toiling through traffic worthwhile. It's simply the most beautiful scenery with good tarmac and an almost total absence of cars.

On the climb up Glenuig a bolt sheared on Cyclop's Bagman. Glad of a chance to rest I stopped to help and we messed about with tie-wraps to try and stop his saddle bag from rubbing on his legs.

Turned at Lochailort sometime after 10pm and finally had a bit of a tailwind. With the scenery still magnificent in the fading light and surrounded by silence I rode all the way to Fort William in a virtual trance. The quiet contemplation and oneness with nature was quickly ended at the 24hour garage. At midnight on Saturday night you expect the drunks. What I hadn't banked on was the poor guy who was stripped naked and left behind by his "mates" who sped off in a taxi. He seemed fairly resigned to his fate as he started jogging back towards Corpach.

I arrived first at the Inchree bunkhouse. Cyclops had the key. A wee bit of poking about revealed that the window catches weren't very secure, so I got into our room via the window. Cyclops and Stephen arrived 5 minutes later and we had a late night cup of tea. Nobody had the energy or desire to cook the pasta that we'd left there earlier, so it was in bed at 2am with the alarm set for 5.

The wind dropped overnight - you could tell from the swarms of midgies waiting outside the bunkhouse! Lovely run down to the Oban garage, then more muppets in cars all the way to Crianlarich. By that point Cyclops & Stephen had decided on a quieter route home, so they went left at Lochearnhead and finished via Comrie & Gleneagles. I was going well on the flat but had lost what little climbing ability I had, so decided on the flattest possible route home - Callander - Bridge of Allan - Fallin - Grangemouth. Worth it for the ice-cream in Callander!

In summary - it's a great route and the bunkhouse makes it a relatively comfortable 600. But the next time I do it I'll maybe go for a non-holiday weekend in May in the hope that there'll be a little less traffic.

« Reply #93 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:31:29 pm »
Some photos from Saturday

Valkyrie patiently waits for his turn of the vodka to steady the nerves before Rannoch Moor

On the Corran Ferry

Yet more headwinds after the ferry

No potholes, no traffic, but soon to get a lot lumpier

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #94 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
Excellent report and foties, gentlemen. Glad it went well.

Sounds like you had a kind of opposite experience to ours. We had a tailwind all the way up and a headwind back from Oban.
It's beginning to look like a wee swally of voddie will become de rigeur on this ride. I trust you managed a chorus of Kumbaya before bed time, in the best tradition of the Audax Ecosse Camping and Caravaning Club.
Pity you had to make do with duvets and pillows instead of curtains, though. Ya big jessies.  ;)