Author Topic: Calorie counting  (Read 12100 times)

simonp

Re: Calorie counting
« Reply #50 on: 04 January, 2010, 12:20:36 am »
I didn't mean/expect it to suddenly get steeper during Christmas.  I ate what I was given when I wasn't the one cooking, and tried to estimate amounts (unlike when I'm doing this myself, where I can weigh all the ingredients).

I've now changed the website settings to maintain current weight as I've lost enough.  I'm about the same weight I was when I started LEL.  Which ain't fat, my BMI is 21 now.  What is good is that I'm not having to spend the early season fighting to lose the winter fat (last two years I've been around 75kg at Christmas); I've already done that.

They've got a beta of a new look version available to premium users.  It is much nicer.

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:15:59 pm »
OK, this is actually quite hard!  I've got to readjust to a weight maintenance goal but also try to keep the fat content down so I can lose body fat.

I've discovered that eating 3000 calories a day (yes because I burned 750 off at the gym and walked 15 minutes each way to lunch) and doing it healthily is actually rather hard!  (Ordering enough takeaway curry to do that and sitting on the sofa eating it all is no longer an option apparently).

I'm going to have to start shovelling the pasta in.

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »
So there's been a bounce since I came back from Christmas.

I have been sticking to the calorie budget on average, and if I extend the gradual weight loss curve from before Christmas it intersects with the current weight.  I wonder if reduced calorie intake at Christmas due to lack of exercise leads to reduced weight due to less food "in progress" so to speak.

simonp

« Reply #53 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:25:51 am »
Yesterday I did my first proper bike ride since before I started this.  I mean more that 50 miles.

According to the site, it's as if I ate nothing yesterday and did no exercise (I ate over 3000 calories).  Hence my weight has dropped like a stone over the weekend despite Friday and Saturday both involving excess.  :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #54 on: 18 January, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »
I'm using the LiveStrong site as well now. It's been very handy in making sure that I keep my consumption under control.

I'd never have started using it if it wasn't for this thread, so thanks  :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #55 on: 18 January, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Yes, I just went and signed up

It looks very useful for all of us of a disorganised disposition, and with poor willpower :)

It's very interesting seeing how the calories add up, and what a huge difference a bit of exercise makes to the daily energy balance.

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:41:20 pm »
Mmm

It reckons my jaunt to Hay and back today was worth nearly 6000 calories.  I'm sceptical.

Chris S

« Reply #57 on: 19 January, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »
Mmm

It reckons my jaunt to Hay and back today was worth nearly 6000 calories.  I'm sceptical.

Yes - it has HRM-type issues when it comes to audax distance cycling.

I just let it do its thing. It'll show me being -4000 kcals on an 200 day. I just pat it on the head and say "there there...". It still works out in the long run though.

simonp

« Reply #58 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
Mmm

I have been meaning to post about this. I will post later - going for a swim now. :)

border-rider

« Reply #59 on: 19 January, 2010, 08:14:38 pm »
You mean I've been misled ?  :o

<MV hastily drops the Stilton, Port and Christmas cake>

simonp

« Reply #60 on: 19 January, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Well, you are trying to control calorie deficit (or surplus) by calculating X (intake) and Y (output) to arrive at Z = X - Y

The first problem is both X >> Z and Y >> Z.  Hence a relatively small error in X or Y leads to a large relative error in Z.

Both X and Y have sources of error.

In the case of X, the main issue for me is eating out or eating food prepared by other family members.  This might be why I was losing so much weight between Christmas and New Year.

In the case of Y, there is the base energy expenditure figure you use (about 2200kcals in my case) and additional output, such as cycling.  The figures I get from LiveStrong are much higher than the values I calculate from the Powertap, for cycling.  However, this doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong, because the Powertap measures energy at the wheel, and then I estimated calories by multiplying by 4.2.  This is necessarily a lower bound because it doesn't include all sorts of energy such as that used to balance, hold your weight up, move your legs, and drivetrain losses.

The typical value for this is 20kcal/kilometre for me, but hard riding (e.g. Fred Whitton) is 25kcal/km and the ride from Dalkieth to Esdalemuir was around 30kcal/km. :)

If I put bicycling at 14-15.9mph (vigorous) I get a figure around 30kcal/kilometre which is about 50% higher.  It is about 10% less for moderate cycling.

It might also be that the estimates calorie burns are for a different type of bike that you and I ride.

I don't think it's a reason to abandon this approach, but I think you need to monitor the results and if it's not working, then you can make adjustments to compensate.  Better that than give up. :)

border-rider

« Reply #61 on: 19 January, 2010, 10:53:08 pm »
I used moderate cycling; probably a bit optimistic for the Gospel pass on fixed, but my HR was 130-140 on the climb - not excessive.  I do weigh a fair bit more than you though.

simonp

« Reply #62 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:00:36 pm »
I used moderate cycling; probably a bit optimistic for the Gospel pass on fixed, but my HR was 130-140 on the climb - not excessive.  I do weigh a fair bit more than you though.

Yes, and their figures also don't take into account terrain.

I get slightly lower figures from their calculations than the rowing machine at the gym claims.

I've certainly lost weight since I started doing this, and I was steadily gaining weight beforehand.

border-rider

« Reply #63 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:02:20 pm »
Oh it's useful for focusing one's mind on what one has eaten, all right.

simonp

« Reply #64 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »
Oh yes.  I now eat much less cheese, I've eliminated fruit juices (though I still consume smoothies, because they have a similar fibre content to whole fruit, unlike juice), and I have stopped adding sugar to coffee.  Relatively small changes seem to make a big difference to the total intake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 20 January, 2010, 12:33:23 am »
It's very easy for fruit juice (and other soft drink) calories to mount up unawares. 200ml of orange/apple juice approximately equals a two finger Kit-Kat.
Cranberry juice drinks have a higher sugar content...

border-rider

« Reply #66 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:00:44 am »
Yes

We'd felt virtuous at going from wine>fruit juice; I now dilute it heavily with tap water if I do drink it, and tend to have peppermint or Rooibos tea instead.

simonp

« Reply #67 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:05:25 pm »
I'm going to eat well tonight; 1909 calories burned (vigorous cycling for 2h20; I actually did >16mph but it's a fast bike so I'll just call it vigorous).  I've got 2515 calorie budget left for the day.  :smug:

Chris S

« Reply #68 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:12:17 pm »
I'm going to eat well tonight; 1909 calories burned (vigorous cycling for 2h20; I actually did >16mph but it's a fast bike so I'll just call it vigorous).  I've got 2515 calorie budget left for the day.  :smug:

:D

I have 1500 calories left, and I DON'T CARE. Partying tonight. Moderation returns tomorrow.

* scoops up another handful of Oven Baked Marmite Cashews *

simonp

« Reply #69 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »
Happy birthday Chris. ;)

Chris S

« Reply #70 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:06:28 pm »
Happy birthday Chris. ;)

Thank you  ;D

I'm back onto the programme now, and I've turned the screw a wee bit; aiming for a 1Kg a week drop. This means a Net calorie intake on Livestrong of a mere 1350kcals before exercise. That's not much - perhaps I'm being too ambitious - we shall see...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #71 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:23:50 pm »
I ckecked mine yesterday.To acieve a 1kg/week loss a max of 1860 calories a day.
Sod that for a game of soldiers.I'd find it easier to amputate something than give up that much food ;D

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »
I'm going by 0.25kg/week.  That's still 13kg/year.  This means you don't need to suffer.  It allows me 1950kcals/day before exercise.

border-rider

« Reply #73 on: 26 January, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »

I'm back onto the programme now, and I've turned the screw a wee bit; aiming for a 1Kg a week drop. This means a Net calorie intake on Livestrong of a mere 1350kcals before exercise. That's not much - perhaps I'm being too ambitious - we shall see...

1 kg per week for me needs under 1300 calories.  Very, very hard to do; the only way I can get a net calorie balance that low is to use exercise.  Seems to work though - I'm slightly ahead of 1 kg/week since new year.

Chris S

« Reply #74 on: 26 January, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

1 kg per week for me needs under 1300 calories.  Very, very hard to do; the only way I can get a net calorie balance that low is to use exercise.  Seems to work though - I'm slightly ahead of 1 kg/week since new year.

I agree - most of the 1000kcals deficit per day has to come from exercise. This is quite time consuming!