Author Topic: They don't want my blood  (Read 32201 times)

Chris S

Re: They don't want my blood
« Reply #50 on: 08 June, 2009, 05:08:32 pm »
No problems with the HCT test, and yes - we were force fed an enormous glass of juice/water (there was at least a choice) before the session. Bit annoying since the loos were out of action in the hall  ;D :-X.

Out of curiosity I measured my BP before I left and when I got back:

Before: 128/78
After: 101/59

Perhaps this is why all I feel like doing now is curling up and going to sleep. I might avoid the falling-over water tonight - one glass and I'll be anybody's unconscious.

« Reply #51 on: 08 June, 2009, 05:50:31 pm »
Didn't get a chance to do it before I went away (and the vaccinations would have stopped me anyway). Now on a 6 month hold for going to a malarial area (Iguazu). At least they'll stop sending me stuff every other week and automatically start again in July when I am able to donate (although this is bound to be 3 days before LEL!).

Bwwwaaahahahahahahahaaaaa!  ;D

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Haven't had a single letter through since I called them. 6 months will be up at the end of June, we'll see if I get a reminder then...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 08 June, 2009, 05:52:57 pm »

Haven't had a single letter through since I called them. 6 months will be up at the end of June, we'll see if I get a reminder then...

Amazing. We still get #1 Son's Blood mail here - even though he's now fessed up and told them he's moved. As far as I know, they still won't want him anyway  ::-).

Treewheeler

« Reply #53 on: 08 June, 2009, 06:13:21 pm »
 Ex-pats living in France who wish to donate are unable for Gallic fear of CJD...
  Never mind... I still got to drink the coffee and eat the cake...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #54 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:33:04 pm »
I was turned away for low Hb today  :(. I usually have to have the second test and scrape through on that, but this time I was 120 and the girly minimum is 125. Better drink more wine   ;).

« Reply #55 on: 02 July, 2009, 11:00:05 pm »
Mine has antibiotics in it yet again, & will until August. Not wanted. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #56 on: 22 November, 2009, 12:07:21 pm »

Nothing for the 6 months, then started to get the reminders. Finally got around to going this morning; no appointment but got there 2 minutes before it officially opened and only had a 40 minute wait, by the time I left they were turning people away as they wouldn't get through them all in the 4 hours they were open.

Sample also going for malaria testing. Celebratory beer for first donation is 6 hours away...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #57 on: 22 November, 2009, 12:24:38 pm »
I'm also banned due to receiving the stuff. (although I think this rule came in SINCE my transfusion :( ).

So on behalf of all us takers, may I thank all you givers  :thumbsup:  :)

Same for me too.  Is there any chance this rule will be relaxed in the future?

I feel guilty because I never gave blood.  Would be nice to give something back eventually.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: 22 November, 2009, 01:09:59 pm »
I need to phone them up and ask if they want me back now that I have a diagnosis, but whether they want someone on long term antibiotics I don't know......
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #59 on: 03 December, 2009, 11:10:36 am »
I just rang up to make an appointment and was told that they'll just send me away if I turn up, 'cos I failed the Hb test last time and should wait a year (114 instead of 125, something to do with having finished LEL 10 days prior, at a guess).

The blood service won't do an hb test, even though it's a year since I last donated. 

I have to go to the doctor.  who will give me a letter, that I can send to them, and then see.  Didn't make sense.  I suggested it would be quicker for them to just give me a blood test rather than going through the doctor, apparently I don't actually need to 'proove' my hb has got back up to 125 ???

It's easier just to wait. 

yours, confused
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #60 on: 03 December, 2009, 01:02:16 pm »
I have had a cold the last three times the vampires came near my work place.  Maybe I shall remember to give near home.  They visit the church hall on Christmas eve.

« Reply #61 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:49:18 am »
2nd donation (finally got round to it). No appointment but got there 15 minutes before they opened and was 2nd in the queue. 3rd to get tapped and all done in under 25 minutes (although I took my time afterward).

No little blood group key-fob thingy (they didn't have any). Will pick one up next time.

Next appointment booked for early May (a week after a 400 and giving 3 weeks recovery before the K&SW 600), the online system works brilliantly (once you've gone through the Government Gateway registration faff).

Took the train today, and will hold off on the intervals until later in the week. There'd be little point trying to do a 5x5 or 2x20 in the next few days...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:35:45 am »
They won't have my blood at all.  Not enough red in it, even if I am taking iron supplements.
We always suspected you had blue blood.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »
They won't have mine either, though keep changing their minds as to why.  I think they're okay about the hepatitis I had as a baby these days, and any exposure to malaria or secondary exposure to Teh Wrong Kind Of Gay™ I've had has long-since expired, but I'm now permanently tainted with 80s mad cow disease (CJD, that is, not Thatcher) from a transfusion.

Shame really, because it's a nice rare blood group.

I urge those whose blood they will accept to donate where possible, it really is important.

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
I urge those whose blood they will accept to donate where possible, it really is important.

Indeed.

They like me because I'm A-.

I was once cussing and bitching about having lost my cycling mojo a day or two after a donation when I happened upon the scene of an RTA. The ambulance crew were attending a teenager at the side of the road - who I think had been run over rather messily, so there was lots of blood.

Not being of the medical type, I made myself scarce rather than gawk, but I had stern words with myself about my cussing and bitching the rest of the way home.

Like you say, it's important.

« Reply #65 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »
My son had a series of operations when he was 6. During the course of one long op, he used up 6 units of blood.  That's 3 years of donations.

Hospital is full of people like him. It's really important to donate (he gets upset about not being able to donate).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #66 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Wish me luck. I'm off to donate in about an hour and a half. They've said 'no' the last three times.
S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #67 on: 10 January, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
How much is a unit then?
Here in NL as a male you can be asked to donate up to 6 times a year, 500ml per donation. In my first year as a donor, I think I got up to that.
You can't donate when you spent more than 6 months in the UK before 1996 or so.  :P
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #68 on: 10 January, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »
A unit is 470ml in the UK, but they take a bit more for testing (3 x 10cc last time, 4 x 10cc time before as it needed to be screened for Malaria) and the tubing will account for a small bit more.

One donation every 16 weeks in the UK, so that's 3 times a year.

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #69 on: 10 January, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »
One donation every 16 weeks in the UK, so that's 3 times a year.

It's every 12 weeks in Wales. Made of sterner stuff here!

Having successfuly donated 60-odd times they wouldn't take from me this time because the drop of blood didn't sink

« Reply #70 on: 10 January, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »
In England it is a minimum of 12 weeks between donations but recomended is 16. I used to play arround with the timings so that I did not have to keep swapping between areas whilst at Uni.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #71 on: 10 January, 2011, 06:31:55 pm »
That's reminded me: I'm due to donate in 4 weeks or so & will need to book time off work.

I'm a universal donor, O neg, so feel it's my duty as one of the 7% with that type  :)
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #72 on: 10 January, 2011, 06:43:13 pm »
When I last went (New Year's Eve), it was my 62nd go. The Donor Carer noted that my vein had a lot of scar tissue. I nearly made a remark along the lines of "changing hands at 99" but thought better of it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #73 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »
Oh well.  They don't want it again.  Different reason this time.
They're now asking questions about medical history going back through your whole life.
About fourteen or fifteen years ago, I had a very small growth on the top of one ear.  As it was on my head and visible, my GP didn't remove it himself, but sent me to the local hospital.  A few weeks after it was removed I was called back in to be told that the growth was cancerous, and they wanted to remove a bit more of my ear.  Which they did.  The portion they removed was clear.  I went back for check ups for a year or two.  No further problems or treatment. 

But now it (probably) stops me giving blood.  I need to get in touch with my (different) GP and ask exactly what the problem was and then get back to the blood service, but they weren't sounding hopeful this evening. 

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »
When I last went (New Year's Eve), it was my 62nd go. The Donor Carer noted that my vein had a lot of scar tissue. I nearly made a remark along the lines of "changing hands at 99" but thought better of it.

;D ;D

You did well. Some health care professionals are rather lacking in the SOH department...