Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400590 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1975 on: 06 May, 2019, 11:13:36 am »
Broke the 6 min/km mark yesterday, for the first time in 7 years. 5min 55 sec for 4.5 km. so chuffed  :smug:
Still being 112 kg and need to drop 25 kg, I'm sure I'll be improving dramatically when I reach my weight goal.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1976 on: 11 May, 2019, 02:25:30 pm »
After nearly 150 parkruns I finally made the pilgrimage to Bushy this morning. I've never seen a parkrun like it; the number of runners was bonkers. It must be an odd feeling if Bushy is one's "home" parkrun due to the sheer volume of people. Today there were 1,421 runners of which 180 were first timers to Bushy parkrun. A lot of events won't even have 180 runners. Watching the funnel management to keep everyone in order was incredible. I saw someone I know from when I was in Iten cycling to the start but never saw them again because there were so many people.

The course is very flat and mainly on grass or gravel. However today it was different to normal for some reason so I cannot comment on what the normal course is like. As I was the front it felt very open, but it would be a different feeling running in the pack, which is big. The first 73 finishers ran sub 20 this morning.

It'll be a while before I ever go again because it's a bit of a schlep to get there from east London (esp. when South-Western cancel the train from Waterloo :demon:), but it was definitely worth doing once in a while.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1977 on: 15 May, 2019, 06:45:55 am »
up to 9km yesterday, at a smidge ove 5min/km, so on or about my target hm pace.

this is now starting to feel doable for early August, though not likely to be anywhere near PB
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1978 on: 15 May, 2019, 10:47:36 am »
The first 73 finishers ran sub 20 this morning.

Quite a few of the keener kayak racers also do parkruns.  One weekend they were commenting that they'd just seen someone do the parkrun in a tad over 18min. While pushing a toddler in a 3-wheeled buggy.

Sure, the course was flat, but even so . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1979 on: 17 May, 2019, 12:07:10 pm »
Ran with others for the first time since school this week. Did a 7km loop at lunch with some colleagues in just under 40mins. Quite fun.

Unfortunately, I seem to be going a week between each run now due to pain under my ankle bone on my left foot.  It just about subsides then i go and run again and it hurts again. Since i'm running on the behest of my physio, I'll see what he can do. Hopefully it's just the case of getting some insoles.... My knees tend to brush each other every 4 or so strides.

« Reply #1980 on: 19 May, 2019, 05:46:17 pm »
I think I'm definitely starting to enjoy my running a bit more, although I have some difficulty with enjoyment when I'm really trying in a race.  A few of the people I know who also do the midweek fell runs seem to have a very different experience doing 'steady racing' mid-pack or slower, whilst I have a feeling of achievement close to the finish and then at the finish, but spend a fair chunk of the really hard stuff at max HR wondering 'why am i doing this?'. In this week's event I ran the 6.7km in 43 minutes (that's 6:24 min/km pace). In my defence, it had 380m elevation gain, most of which was between 1 and 3.3 km in. The winners were coving that in about 34 min.

Did a 10km race today with Meg (my dog), at a much better pace (only 220m climb over 10km). I have never raced 10km, and haven't done 10km in ages (generally either do shorter, or 15-16km, which is at a slower pace), so was unsure what a realistic pace would be.  Despite 2 cattle grids and having to open/close 2 fairly difficult gates, my finish time was 42:00.  :D

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1981 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:08:42 pm »
I meant to ask how the running was going but you seemed a bit busy yesterday afternoon trying to serve us tea & baked spuds and shoo out the ballerinas!

If you're putting in max effort you're going to question your own sanity. It happens to me every time I push myself, from parkruns to marathons.

42 minutes for 10 km in any conditions is a decent effort but with over 200m of ascent and cattle grids etc that's really impressive. You should try a flat 10km!

Have you come across Russell Bentley? He's a 2:20 marathon runner based strong Bangor?

After having done the London marathon my next race is Vitality Westminster 1 mile. Followed by a 55 km ultra (and with WCW 600 in between to finish off my PBP qualification :facepalm:)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

ElyDave

« Reply #1982 on: 07 June, 2019, 11:32:41 am »
This week has been something of a running week, being away in Sunbury I've been running from the Hotel in Twickenham down the river round Teddington etc

last week had 2 easy runs of 40min each and a 10km total tempo run, but I missed the long run.

This week
Monday - 4 x 1000m at 10k pace - for a total of 7km - should have been 5, but my right hip was a bit twingy after self-physio-ing
Tuesday - easy 35min
Wednesday - tempo run with 1mile wu/cd and 20 mins at target pace-15s/km

My back has taken it pretty well, aching a bit hips slightly tweaky.
What I'm finding is that my pace over 8-10km is in line with the plan, but my run endurance is way off where it should be. With 8 weeks to go, I'm thinking whether I shoudl attempt the HM or not, or spend an extra day pootling by bike - maybe head over to Arran for a day, or ride the length of Jura

« Reply #1983 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:44:50 pm »
I've got running related DOMS for the first time in a while. I've discovered than learning to run downhill is hard. I seem to be able to get up hills reasonably ok, but I find downhill really hard. This week was the first week since the earlier, easy (easier) races that I've been able to run all the way down. When the midweek series finishes, I might see if I can find someone to teach me to navigate, so that I can do longer races (short races usually allow you to spot between the marshal points, or just follow someone else).

I hadn't previously come across Russell, but he does come to some of the local fell races. I've seen his blog - I'd been disappointed to miss Ras Yr Moelwyn due to clashing commitments, but his write up of how horrible it was made me laugh.

« Reply #1984 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:55:12 pm »
I've discovered than learning to run downhill is hard. I seem to be able to get up hills reasonably ok, but I find downhill really hard.

Likewise.  When running uphill I can feel the muscle groups used in cycling kicking in and I seem to be able to match the good runners, but downhill I'm like a newly-born deer.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1985 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:38:06 am »
Last night was the last event in the midweek fell running series.  I've made it around 11 of the 12 events. I was mostly just happy to have made it through the series, as this was my first year of attempting the fell running. Last night's was short (3km) but more difficult than anticipated. I think I may have started too quick as I was really suffering toward the top.  It's a bit mean in that the finish is higher that the start, with the last 300m being uphill. Was pleased to discover that I was 3rd overall woman in the series (best 5 events), so happy with that. Considering learning to navigate so that I can do longer events now...

« Reply #1986 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:18:07 pm »
I ran the Duffield '5' (actually 5.2 miles) last night with a colleague, trying to get him round as fast as possible.  I've been having knee niggles on and off for the past 2 years and have barely run in that time, so I was looking for an excuse to jog it.  It's a really tough course with a ridiculous hill in it, but it brings out loads of runners from the community and beyond.  Max, who is a 24-min parkrunner, finished in 44:50 and was amazed how hard he'd pushed himself.  ;D

Definitely up for a bit more running this summer.  My eldest turned 6 on Saturday and has a lovely new Frog 62, so hopefully we can spend some time up at the village playing fields with him on two wheels, and me trying to keep up!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1987 on: 27 June, 2019, 03:41:45 pm »
Breaking 2 Part 2 to come in London in October with banking from everyone's fav petrochemical company

Eliud Kipchoge plans 'super human' 1:59 marathon in London in October

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/06/ineos-eliud-kipchoge-attempt-break-marathon-two-hour-barrier-london

Now moved to Vienna, which at least means I won't feel jealous being so close but not being able to get out of work to watch.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/27/vienna-host-eliud-kipchoge-bid-break-two-hour-marathon-athletics

ElyDave

« Reply #1988 on: 29 June, 2019, 03:02:14 pm »
HM plan wasn't going to plan, speed work and tempo work up to about 11-12km was going OK, but long run was nowhere near enough. Add to that 2 weeks of a hacking cough and snot and there's no way I'll be ready for a race in 4 weeks.

If I'd been habitually running enough in the last 8 months I might consider winging it. Instead on that day I'll take the ferry over to Jura and climb at least one of the Paps.  It'll be a long day on my feet

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1989 on: 29 June, 2019, 03:27:53 pm »
 ^ . . . dare one suggest a magical experience, whether permitting?  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #1990 on: 29 June, 2019, 03:33:10 pm »
Last year when I was cycle touring I had less time on Islay and didn't make it to Jura, so I'm really looking forward to it, and can get the reverse pictures back to the Bunnahabhain distillery

« Reply #1991 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:34:21 am »
I had a bit of a revelation last night. Normally racing is a bit type 2 fun for me, especially if I'm running without a dog. Last night I ran in the team event of the Petzl night trail race at Coed y Brenin. It's a 3km lap (off road: 1km downish, 1km very up, 1 km down) with one team member (team of 3) running at a time, handing over a timing chip baton each lap. It's 3 hours long, so the idea is to run as many laps between you as possible. It was actually a lot of fun whilst I was running. I'm not sure if it was the support, the dark, the fact that the laps are shortish, but I really enjoyed it. I might even consider the solo event next year!

« Reply #1992 on: 21 October, 2019, 09:10:47 pm »
Been struggling to get out much since the knee op. Not pain, just silly workload etc and dark nights now.

Anyway, just back in from 5 miles on the road in just over 40 minutes, so feeling pleased with myself. I haven't worn road shoes for weeks - well over a year really, so that was fun:) Suspect I'll feel it tomorrow or Wdnesday.

Mike

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1993 on: 21 October, 2019, 09:26:17 pm »
Think I've tickled my PF a bit after Saturday's hill run in the Pentlands.
The return is a horrid 5k flog along a tarmacked road, and in my trail shoes I was beginning to feel the tweaks.
I really need to not do that.

ElyDave

« Reply #1994 on: 12 November, 2019, 06:46:02 pm »
first run since the off on the bike with a twisted ankle.  I had to run for a train this morning and that didn't cause any issues, so decided to run this evening after I got to the hotel

2km out and back, keeping mid-foot it was OK, as the heel dropped there was some discomfort, so telling me to keep up with the mobilisation and stretching.   Now feels OK, if not actually better than first thing this morning.  Let's see how it feels tomorrow.

« Reply #1995 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:01:51 pm »
After a bit of a lull to focus on cycling I realised I'd dwindled to little of either, so am getting back out there. I've managed to get back to 5km with stops for crossing roads. I even went out at lunch from work the other day and got a new veloviewer tile  O:-)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1996 on: 14 November, 2019, 08:15:56 pm »
I try to run to and from work once a week.
It's 8k each way, which is do-able in the context of a commute.
It's a trail run, totally off-road mostly in woods. (Well, there's about 1.5k of dead-end private estate road with no cars. )

The light is nice at the moment, the run in is just after sunrise, and the run home is twilight as I set off, and proper dark by the time I get home.
So I set about photographing it for fun.

The morning run photos are here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2863869122

The run home in the dark I'll post here.
Yes, those are clouds of steam from my nostrils, in the manner of a horse!

20191114_164725[1] by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #1997 on: 15 November, 2019, 01:21:59 pm »
That looks decent.
I've tried a once-per-week jog to the train station (and back in evening). About 4km each way, then a bit to work at the other end.
Main issue (apart from legs not liking running) is the road camber. Really murders my knee tendons.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1998 on: 17 November, 2019, 06:21:15 pm »
Nice commute pictures.

I went for a run with Miss Dan the Younger earlier. She’s not in the habit of running, but chasing her up a rise gave me a strava pb on that segment. :blush: She also does a good line in going from hands in pockets saunter to sprinting for the lamppost. :D

ElyDave

« Reply #1999 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:17:53 am »
That looks decent.
I've tried a once-per-week jog to the train station (and back in evening). About 4km each way, then a bit to work at the other end.
Main issue (apart from legs not liking running) is the road camber. Really murders my knee tendons.

same round here re the camber.  If road safety allows, either run on the crown, or run on the same side of the road out and back to help even it out