Author Topic: Prostate Biopsy  (Read 9538 times)

Prostate Biopsy
« on: 08 February, 2013, 10:25:50 am »
Anyone had a prostate biopsy.  If, so, was it bad and were there any side effects.  Don't ask me why I need to know this. :'(
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Prostate Biopsy
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:28:43 am »
A pal of mine had one a few years ago and no longer has a prostate to be opsied. I don't remember him describing it as being an especially nasty experience.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »
Not me, but all the best  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »
Two friends have had this done in the last five years (happily both benign). Their description can best be summarised as'uncomfortable and undignified' but I don't think particularly painful. The appointment letter did advise having someone with them to take them home afterwards as they might feel a bit shaky. Best wishes.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:28:46 am »
Thanks for the responses.  TBH I expected more people to have some experience but I guess I am the first on YACF.  Hey! Ho!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:49:02 am »
The appointment letter did advise having someone with them to take them home afterwards as they might feel a bit shaky.

That'll be to do with the sedative.

Sorry I don't have any experience of prostate biopsy myself, just experience of sedation for procedures.  The sedative may not feel like it's doing much, but should make you feel less nervous, at least.  I felt perfectly capable of riding a bike or bus afterwards, but they insisted on me not going home on my own.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

AAO

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2013, 12:15:33 am »
I've had one prior to my operation to reduce it. Not the most fun I've ever had, but beyond being uncomfortable and feeling slightly self-conscious, it is not too bad. Certainly nowhere near my worst medical experience.

My way of dealing with the many problems I have had recently is to try to go into emotional "shut down" mode. What will be, will be. Trust your Doctors to do what they do and allow yourself to accept that for the period you are in their care you have no control.

Good luck. I have had, and all my friends and family when they have had problems, nothing but amazingly competent (and often brilliant) treatment and kindness.

« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:27:38 am »
OK, looks like I have to have a biopsy.  Went to the consultant on Monday and he says things are not quite as they should be.  To be honest, I am more than a little worried.  Just waiting for an appointment. 

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:19:10 am »
Finger's crossed it turns out to be storm in teacup,so to speak
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »
OK, looks like I have to have a biopsy.  Went to the consultant on Monday and he says things are not quite as they should be.  To be honest, I am more than a little worried.  Just waiting for an appointment. 

Fingers crossed for you.

« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »
Hope all goes well
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2013, 07:50:12 pm »
Hope it all goes ok for you.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:33:05 am »
Well, went for the results yesterday and biopsy result is positive, I have Prostate cancer!  Gutted!  Next step is a MRI scan to see if it has spread anywhere else.  Hopefully not but whatever it we mean a serious disruption to my cycling year, not to mention the rest of my life.  I will have to get some touring in before all the treatment bit kicks off.  I am not a happy bunny. Just a wee bit scared are well if I was honest.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:43:59 am »
Hopefully all will be OK, Viking. The recovery rates are pretty good, I believe.

When my pal went through this the NHS were operating a "wait and see" policy, I think on the grounds that that was what the Scandinavians were doing. In the end the consultant decided to remove his prostate. When Mel asked him what happened to the "wait and see" policy, he was told "The Swedes don't do that any more". I think they had waited, and seen, rather too often.

Now several years after his op, Mel is fine. We go for long walks (when the weather is good) and every so often he goes for a test on his PSAs (prostate-specific antigens) to see if there has been a recurrence, but so far so good.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:01:19 am »
Well, went for the results yesterday and biopsy result is positive, I have Prostate cancer!  Gutted!  Next step is a MRI scan to see if it has spread anywhere else.  Hopefully not but whatever it we mean a serious disruption to my cycling year, not to mention the rest of my life.  I will have to get some touring in before all the treatment bit kicks off.  I am not a happy bunny. Just a wee bit scared are well if I was honest.

Ah, sorry to read this.
Don't wear yourself out before starting treatment. Being healthy and fit helps a lot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:12:50 am »
My brother in law had a rather large malignant prostate tumour removed last year.  He has now been given the all clear and his nether regions are gradually returning to full function (not that I really required that information, but he seemed to need to tell - fair enough).
Sorry to read this but positive notes are always good I hope and it can only be a good thing if it's been spotted early enough.  My very best wishes to you, and there but for the grace go us all...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #16 on: 05 April, 2013, 10:44:32 am »
Best wishes Viking, hope all goes well.

AAO

« Reply #17 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »
I hope that everything goes well for you Viking. Good luck!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #18 on: 06 April, 2013, 12:10:43 am »
Good luck, hope the medics treat you well and your recovery isn't too hard.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #19 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
Sorry to hear this, Viking. 
I hope the treatment goes well.

Good luck.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #20 on: 10 April, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »
Good luck Viking. Did you have any symptoms or was this out of the blue?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2013, 08:38:24 am »
Sorry to hear this, Viking. 
I hope the treatment goes well.

Good luck.

Plus one to that Hope that the treatment goes well and is successful.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:21:25 am »
I am very sorry to hear this, and I will have you in my thoughts as you go through treatment. The very best of luck.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #23 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:23:35 am »
Good luck Viking. Did you have any symptoms or was this out of the blue?

I had some minor water works issues that, in the end, were not related.  However, the Doc decided to do a few tests to cover all the bases.  One was a PSA test which, whilst not particularly high, was more than double my last one 3 years ago.  That started the ball rolling and it now seems impossible to stop it.  I have a MRI scan on 2nd May.  That should show the extent of it (Consultant thinks it is confined to the prostate itself).  Then we can decide on treatment options.  I have already been through the various options with her but until we get the results of the MRI, we will not know which one is for me.  I am having a bit of difficulty dealing with this and my wife is very upset, naturally.  I still haven't got the go ahead for a nice shinney Ti frame yet and I am worried that I will never get the chance now.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #24 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:37:03 am »
As others have expressed Vikingers, I too am sorry to hear about a positive result, and the worry for you I guess at the moment, is the 'not knowing' period now, and leaves you with plenty of time to fret, not only personally but the worries your wife will be having.

Yours is not an isolated case it seems, with hundreds of chaps in Britain being diagnosed, and I was wondering if there is perhaps a support group you can call upon (perhaps in your area), so you can voice your concerns and which they may have answers to help alleviate some of those concerns?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex