Author Topic: Jantastic 2015  (Read 13075 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Jantastic 2015
« Reply #75 on: 08 February, 2015, 05:26:49 pm »
With a bit of fudging,  I've scraped 100%.

Did 30mins of walk-run-shamble before breakfast, foot pain sorta coming and going. I'm claiming that one on moral grounds!

But far more exciting- I stumbled across a trial park-run. Yes, on my doorstep! Its been discussed for years for our ickle town,  but the route was always the problem. I had no idea they'd worked something out actually round our estate. Fingers crossed it works out :)

Anyway: then the bike leg. Extended a truly knackering club-run to scrape my distance target for the week. So the target system is just about doing its job for me - just not how I'd predicted at Christmas ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #76 on: 08 February, 2015, 05:33:28 pm »
Phew.   Was a bit worried about my bike target due to missing my midweek ride but got it sorted today.  Keeping up my 100%   :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #77 on: 08 February, 2015, 05:44:18 pm »
I've also scraped through this week. I did a slow 21 km run this morning and then this afternoon I ran up to Waitrose to ensure I completed my five runs for the week. Hopefully next week will be easier.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #78 on: 09 February, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »
For the first time since this started I failed to complete my sunday run,

I woke up with the absolute pig of a headache and my small attempt left me head pounding worse with every footfall.

Arse.

I shall try again, and this time succeed.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #79 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:24:17 pm »
I'm out.

If I'm injured then having "targets" is counter-productive. Tried a very short jog tonight and discovered a whole new avenue of lower leg breakdown. I would have left it another week, and POSSIBLY got a little better without Jan-fucking-tastic. History says my injuries dont get better in 2 weeks.

(The cycling part is just pointless - I don't need any "progression". I could ride 300k on Saturday if I was bloody-minded enough; doesnt mean it would be good for me! )

Sorry, but this challenge just isn't doing me any good,  and is just pissing me off. If Team YACF want to me to make up some stuff to log, I will - otherwise I'm leaving that webpage alone for another year.
[This is actually the least injured I have ever been in December,  since the first Jantastic! ]

You live and learn ...

Good luck everyone  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #80 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:33:54 pm »
I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you Matt. I had to do the same last year. There should be an option for 'sensibly quitting through injury' as it's a motivational exercise, really, and carrying on when injured isn't a good thing, usually.

In contrast,  I did my long swim tonight as we're off to FORRIN in the morning, and after a wibble with cramp on laps 59/60/61 I swam further than I think I've ever done before, certainly since I was at school.
It almost makes me wonder if I should do something about getting better at it. It's not good having to do bad crawl because you're too uncoordinated to do breast stroke.

« Reply #81 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:59:37 am »
Week 2 and 3 are a write-off for me having had bronchitis followed by a cold.  I'll start running again on Saturday and hope to complete a good Week 4 and Month 3.

« Reply #82 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:00:31 am »
Matt, it's just one of those things. You win some, you lose some. There's certainly no point in aggravating an injury for the sake of a virtual challenge like this. The idea of Jantastic is to motivate people, not kill them off. I, for one, would prefer to carry you as "injured", rather than just fabricating results. That way, we can still claim the moral high.

If you wanted to help the team, the best you could do would be to keep putting jokers in until you've exhausted your supply (not that it worries me much either way).

I'm still plodding along. I'm finding it harder, because of personal circumstances to log stuff right now. I did my long run on Monday simply because the opportunity presented itself and I thought it was best to get it out of the way when I could. I should manage to fit everything in by the end of the week, but I'm glad I didn't up the number of activities I was going to do this month.

« Reply #83 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:23:21 am »
I have struggled with a mixture of work commitments and slow recovery from my running accident at the end of November.   I'm forcing myself out walking just as I have done so today.

What is scary is that I need to be able to start to run properly again soon or March will be a disaster.   I guess that I can set myself relatively slow times...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #84 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »
As I was away at the start of the week I didn't get to the pool on Monday evening. Ordinarily that mean I won't swim until the following Monday, but because of Janatastic I dragged myself out yesterday evening, whereupon I discovered it's free to swim on a Friday evening :thumbsup:. It was also very quiet, with only five other people in the pool, four of whom were having a lesson.

I'm doing the Hampton Court ½ marathon tomorrow which will count for my distant run, but I'll still need to use a joker as I will only have done four runs out of my target of five.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #85 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:13:26 pm »
To add insult to injury in the process of having an off today I forgot about the phone and the battery expired so my 44kms ride to point of accident was not saved.   :(   

I've registered a 40kms ride as a manual entry.    :-\

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #86 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:56:28 am »
its an honesty-based system - always has been.
You rode 44km :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #87 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:17:40 pm »
I'm not likely to get on the bike this week so I will play my first joker.   I have mixed feelings about this but it will be the first week that I've had to do this in eight.     

« Reply #88 on: 28 February, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »
Totally knackered. Went to parkrun this morning and then went swimming this afternoon to try and log an extra workout. Having got home and tried to add it, I then realised that because I didn't specify any swimming workouts - I can't add it. So, I went for another 30 minute run after swimming to give me something I could add. Unfortunately, I'm not thinking straight. Because I'll have limited opportunity to do much at the start of next week, my intention had been to bag up a couple of extra activitiesahead of time - to put in the bank, so to speak. But you can't do that, can you?. In my befuddled state, I'd forgotten that the week doesn't start till Monday. I'm already committed to a 5am run tomorrow with a friend that I'll not be able to bank. The 5am start was deliberately so I could get a run in before heading to the station tomorrow morning for a few days away. It looks like I'm going to have to take my running kit with me. I'll struggle to get 4 runs in next week if I wait until I'm home again before starting.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #89 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:15:07 pm »
100 % for January & February :smug:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #90 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:18:11 pm »
Matt, it's just one of those things. You win some, you lose some. There's certainly no point in aggravating an injury for the sake of a virtual challenge like this. The idea of Jantastic is to motivate people, not kill them off. I, for one, would prefer to carry you as "injured", rather than just fabricating results. That way, we can still claim the moral high.

If you wanted to help the team, the best you could do would be to keep putting jokers in until you've exhausted your supply (not that it worries me much either way).
Thanks!
I completely forgot to log my rides last week - i think was a subconscious rejection of the whole stoopid thing :P

Anyway, logged this week's + joker ( I think - can anyone confirm this? Stoopid UI ... )

Did some tentative jog/walking yesterday,  but nowhere enough to set sensible run targets. So I'll just buing something in for the riding. 200k on Sat 7th, that can be my "speed" task,  I guess
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #91 on: 09 March, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »
I have a Jantastic injury (but I don't think it will stop me completing...). Whilst out this morning for my run, I got hit by a rapidly descending car park barrier. It was up and I tried to run through. At the critical moment the wind caught it and it came crashing down on my head. The pole now has a head shaped dent in it. It hit me bang on the top of my forehead and forced my beanie cap down over my eyes. I now have rather a nasty cut on the bridge of my nose (the beanie hat only slid so far) and a stinking headache. Everyone at work seems to think I've been in a punchup this weekend. I'm not getting a lot of sympathy.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #92 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:50:31 pm »
How are people getting on with Jantastic? So far I'm 100 % for March having done my 5 runs (including >32 km) and 1 swim each week. My motivation was lacking this morning as it was grey and overcast, but Jantastic was the kick up the bum I needed to get out and do my long run.

Next week will be interesting. I've set my long run as 25 km, but I'm doing the Shaftesbury CC 110 km audax on the Saturday and Richmond ½ marathon on the Sunday, which means it'll have to be a post work 25 km run. Hmm..... What was I thinking?  :facepalm: My speed target will also take place next week. The million dollar question is: can I do the Richmond ½ in under 80 minutes?.....

« Reply #93 on: 15 March, 2015, 02:03:54 pm »
I'm up with my targets. I've completed this week and managed to get my timed run in (10km in 55 min, which would have been a PB for me). I've also managed to do some of the Strava running badges this week as well - 64K in a week, 500 metres of climbing in a week, 6 activities in a week and a sub 7 min 30 sec mile (though how I achieved the last one - I've no idea, but I appear to have been awarded the badge).

I started off on Monday thinking I'd aim for the 64K this week. If I did a 16K on Monday morning, a 16K today (Sunday) and parkrun yesteday - I could do 3 10K runs during the week to get my 64K and 6 activities in. Things didn't quite go to plan. Two thirds the way round my run on Monday morning I got hit on the head by a descending car park barrier... Having sworn blue murder and staggered around for a couple of minutes (the barrier now has a head shaped bend in it and there was some blood from my nose left spattered around) I thought that I might as well finish the damn run and continued on my way. However, I missed crossing one of the bridges out. The OCD part of me then made me divert to pick up the missing bridge which wouldn't have been a problem (distance was about the same) except that it meant me running back down the hill to the bottom, crossing the bridge, crossing a second bridge and then running back up the hill again - all with a stinking headache and blood pouring everywhere.

On Tuesday I woke up still with the headache and nearly went back to bed. In the end I limped out and thought I might as well make a go of getting my 10K timed run in, in case I ended up with a delayed onset visit to the injury couch. Things went surprisingly well - I took a flat 10K route and set my pace markers at 5:00 for the first 2K, 5:15 for the next, 5:30 for the next etc finishing at 6:00 for the last 2K. I ended up thrashing all my markers and came in with a 50:58 for the 10K which means I'd knocked about 5 minutes off my previous PB. I was well chuffed. What was more - my headache had disappeared. Getting home I realised that on the first 2 days I'd accidentally notched up over 300 metres of climbing (the extra hill on day one) so on Wednesday I went out for a lumps and bumps run, covering as many banks in the area as I could think of. That clocked me up the 500 metres of climbing in 3 days.

Friday's run was eventful because my Garmin ran out of battery part way round and my 12.5K only recorded as 8.9... After 5K at parkrun yesterday I tallied up my recorded distance which left me with 12.1K to do today. This morning I repeated Friday's run (with a fully charged battery this time) so I'm now feeling quite pleased with myself. The major objectives are completed plus I've got one or two minor ones in as well on the way.

All I have left to do now are 4 runs (one of 10K) for each of the last 2 weeks to score 100% for the entire challenge. This would be ok if I wasn't going away at the end of the week. This means that I only have 4 days next week (Monday to Thursday) to do my runs in. This is on top of having just run 6 days out of the last 7. It looks as if I may have to be innovative about some of my routes (like taking the car to the garage Tuesday morning and then running a 10K from the garage to where I've left a bike hidden in the bushes so I can then cycle into work...).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #94 on: 15 March, 2015, 04:54:49 pm »
How are people getting on with Jantastic?
Good news! I heard that each team's worse 25% members don't count.

So I can skulk away from this without being a *total* hate figure of YACF/Health and Fitness :crossesfingers: ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #95 on: 15 March, 2015, 05:15:35 pm »
I am managing to keep to my targets having had to use just one joker to date after my off a few weeks back.   I'm feeling nervous about next week as it is next week that I have targeted for my ambitious run time target. 

I may need the joker in the final week though as mllePB wants to go cycling for the week and half of my sessions are runs.    :-\

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #96 on: 15 March, 2015, 06:19:43 pm »
Been skiing all week and only just got back so had to use my first joker. Shame I can't count any of the 155 odd miles I have skiied in the last 6 days. Oh well. Back on the running etc tomorrow.

« Reply #97 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:05:34 pm »
Had a total sense of humour/mojo failure on Saturday's DIY200 15km.  :facepalm: Drowned my sorrows in a trip to kill things1 at the seaside with No2Daughter and racked up 23km walking according to my thingy, so it's not like I did nothing...

Played a joker.

On the plus side, felt like a rowing GOD this morning at the gym, so I reckon I needed the break.

1: Virtually, natch.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #98 on: 19 March, 2015, 04:20:13 pm »
At least I should have fewer problems with my 300k cycling distance target for the last week.
After posting that, I suggest you carry a LOT of spares!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

αdαmsκι

« Reply #99 on: 19 March, 2015, 08:52:37 pm »
That's my 25 km run done for the week :thumbsup:.

I am a bit crocked. <snip>

Sounds a bit rubbish. At least you can defer the VLM entry until 2016, although I'm sure you'd prefer to do the run this year. Hopefully the PBP qualifications are more successful.

Portsmouth ½ sounds delightful.....