Author Topic: Chris Sodding Boardman  (Read 18061 times)

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
Chris Sodding Boardman
« on: 05 July, 2011, 08:48:38 pm »
I understand that the price to pay for watching the TdF on ITV 4 is the awful adverts. But is it me or are those inane little words of wisdom by CB trying to flog his bikes getting on other peoples nreves. An example 'I always wondered why there were three places on the podium' Well Chris, that was so that you could see three of the blokes that got over the mountains when you got off your bike.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Re: Chris Sodding Boardman
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
Isn't it against regulations to have the same person doing the adverts and also presenting the programme. IMO there should a clear separation between the programme and the adverts around it.

You're watching the programme, the presenters including Boardman say "back after the break", then you hear Boardman doing his sell with a pic of the bike etc, then the the programme name screen, and then it goes to the real adverts.

I don't like adverts (programme sponsor) inserted inside programmes anyway. But when the programme sponsor's bike brand name and a presenter is the same person, then it's going too far.

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:36:04 pm »
We quite like them, the podium one reminds us of Chris's excellent Bronze medal at Atlanta, and the team lifting him off his bike reminds us of Wilko at the 24.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
chill  :)

Chris is one of our finest ever cyclists (assuming you were out of nappies in 1992 long before he rode his first Tour); much more deserving of this job than some of the other sport commentators

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »
I agree that he is a great cyclist, but the OP has a point. The ads are intensely irritating and they seem to happen every 10 minutes.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
I agree that he is a great cyclist, but the OP has a point. The ads are intensely irritating and they seem to happen every 10 minutes.

err; it's ITV what do you expect?

(I have only watched the online live stuff complete waste of time about 50% of airtime was ads and it froze for most of it)

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2011, 09:56:40 pm »
I agree - that phrase is shit.  I don't mind it when he talks about cycling as that is when he comes alive.  But if not - then his personality is too introverted.  That dead pan phrase is shit.

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:03:21 pm »

(I have only watched the online live stuff complete waste of time about 50% of airtime was ads and it froze for most of it)

Good point! It's not free, the price you pay is the ads. Obviously the podium one immediately makes me think that a Pinarello is probably better than a Boardman, because it's what Indurain rode when he stood in the Gold position in 1996.

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »
I only see about half of those ads as I watch it recorded. I see from wikipedia that he got 2nd in the 1996 TDF prologue.
The thing I find most interesting is the piece where he rides a bit of the stage and talks about it, right after the advert, obviously on one of his bikes with the logos taken off the frame.

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »
I only see about half of those ads as I watch it recorded. I see from wikipedia that he got 2nd in the 1996 TDF prologue.
The thing I find most interesting is the piece where he rides a bit of the stage and talks about it, right after the advert, obviously on one of his bikes with the logos taken off the frame.

He won the 1994 prologue in the most convincing way possible, catching Luc Leblanc, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjJ60Kx2j8I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OjJ60Kx2j8I&rel=1</a> That's why I have a touching faith in British amateur riders from the Wirrral TT scene, and a healthy scepticism about his qualifications for commenting on the Team Time Trial.

CyclistsAnonymous

« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »
his adverts might be a pain in the hole but considering the tour is just a 200 rider billboard for 3 weeks I don't see the problem with it. Advertising, from him or anyone else allows me to watch a few hours of good coverage and listen to commentators talk the kind of bullshit usually reserved for a Sunday afternoon pint in the local boozer for nowt. Small price to pay.

AndyH

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2011, 11:29:32 pm »

I think that they have recently been allowed to increase both the frequency and duration of commercial breaks. It shows.

I had noticed during the past 49 years that ITV carry advertising, but it's now at the point that I might not bother to watch it at all.

And yes, Boardman's ad's are the worst.

« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:58:38 am »

Good point! It's not free, the price you pay is the ads. Obviously the podium one immediately makes me think that a Pinarello  Pegorretti is probably better than a Boardman, because it's what Indurain rode when he stood in the Gold position in 1996.

Fixed that for you  8)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:36:10 am »
I'm not that bothered by the ads in principle (edit: especially as I usually watch the show recorded so can skip through them) but there are two things that bother me about them:

1. The quotes are appalling sports biog clichés. Are they from his book or something? Clearly, he's a better cyclist than he is a writer. Couldn't they come up with something less generic and hackneyed?

2. Lack of variety. I wouldn't mind so much if there were, say, 20 different quotes on rotation, but when it's just three quotes, so you get to hear each one several times per programme, they very quickly start to grate.

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:36:37 am »
The PVR is your friend.  Record the coverage and FF through the blipverts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:01:43 am »

That's why those programme sponsorship slots were invented, you are looking for the Boardman advert in order to press play.

« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »

He won the 1994 prologue in the most convincing way possible, catching Luc Leblanc, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjJ60Kx2j8I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OjJ60Kx2j8I&rel=1</a>

I know he won as well. I was just reflecting that when he says that he "doesn't see the point of 2nd and 3rd place on the podium" he is speaking with the benefit of having experienced those places.

These adverts are no more annoying to watch for me than the endless repetition of, say, transitions glasses or various Sidi products or those meerkats.

« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:56:34 pm »

That's why those programme sponsorship slots were invented, you are looking for the Boardman advert in order to press play.

+1
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:01:32 pm »
Then there is always the mute button which gets used for most adverts at our house .Simples ;)

« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »
My favourite is the one that goes something like:

"The difference between winning and losing is how much you're prepared to suffer. "

<significant pause>

"Buy a bike from Halford's!"

;D  ;D ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:33:58 pm »
Then there is always the mute button which gets used for most adverts at our house .Simples ;)

But obviously not all adverts. ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »

These adverts are no more annoying to watch for me than the endless repetition of, say, transitions glasses or various Sidi products or those meerkats.

A feckin' meerkat on Boardman, now that's an advert I wouldn't skip through (the first time).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
My favourite is the one that goes something like:

"The difference between winning and losing is how much you're prepared to suffer. "

<significant pause>

"Buy a bike from Halford's!"

;D  ;D ;D

Allowing the juxtaposition of a negative concept such as 'suffering' and [enter your company name here] is a rather questionable marketing strategy.

After a while what the mind hears is "The difference between winning and suffering is buying a bike from Halford's".

I'm sure that was not was intended though it would make an interesting T-Shirt.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »
I always wondered why there were three places on the podium'

Well Chris, that was so that you could see three of the blokes that got over the mountains when you got off your bike

... or so that he could stand next to Obree after the world pursuit championship in 1993. O:-)
Old enough to know better!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #24 on: 07 July, 2011, 08:02:23 am »
Yeah they are dreadful, but I suspect CB didn't write them and I also expect that he cringes every time he hears them.  Haven't you done things for your employer/business that have made you want to cringe?  Anyway they're a very small price to pay for live coverage of every stage and a reasonable length summary prog. every day.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου