Author Topic: Illness grumble  (Read 15803 times)

Illness grumble
« on: 28 May, 2008, 09:58:39 am »
I've been feeling nauseous, a bit wobbly, and headachey for the last 3 days.  Day 1 I put down to an unusually unpleasant/long-lasting hangover (usually even if I'm hungover enough to be upchucking I'm in recovery by dinnertime); yesterday & today I think I'm entitled to assume that I'm Actually Ill.

Mostly I just want to whinge ;) but does anyone have any suggested remedies for nausea?  I haven't actually thrown up since Monday lunchtime, but my stomach is uncomfortable/slightly bloated & I've got a bit of wind.  And I'm not hungry which is practically unheard of for me.  About to have a peppermint tea which may help, any other suggestions?  Also suggestions for cheering oneself up as I am feeling v miserable/down on myself.

(And I'm at work - wasn't yesterday & wouldn't have been today except that I had a dentist's appt.  On the upside, my teeth are in splendid nick & even the one I took a chip out of face-planting on the BCM is nothing to worry about.)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Illness grumble
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:15:32 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the after effects of the BCM still catching up with you.  When Teethgrinder says that it can take a month to fully recover from a 600, he's not exaggerating.

If it's any consolation, I'm not at 100% yet, either.  I've been feeling slightly asthmatic and a bit under-powered and I'm still eating weirdly (not hungry one day, ravenous the next).

If it's no better by the end of the week, I'd say go and have a check up at the doc's.  Cant hurt  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:19:16 am »
Or giardiasis.  Have you drunk any potentially contaminated water?  Do you have (ahem) explosive yellow poo?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:24:35 am »
Only water I've drunk any time recently is the stuff that comes out of taps in the UK, which I'm assuming is monumentally unlikely to contain anything nasty.  I ate away from home on Sunday, but at a v posh hotel, & being vegan makes food poisoning harder to come by.

No explosive poo :) 

Marna suggested that it might be the BCM after-effects still (my knees aren't at full whack either yet :-\ ) - aggravated by what I fully accept was overindulgence at my friends' wedding on Sunday :)

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:28:38 am »
The best dicky tummy medicine I've taken is Zantac.  Just a little pill to swallow and really works.  The worst is Gaviscon liquid which is just vile :sick:
Something like Immodium might also help and something to replace your salts like energy drink.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:30:28 am »
FWIW, my SiL came to stay once, and partook of a lock-in at the local. This was Saturday night/Sunday morning.

She still intermittently had her head down the loo the following Wednesday. Longest hangover I have ever witnessed.

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:45:21 am »
Ginger is meant to be good for settling tums, if you're looking for something natural.
Get well soon!

Elleigh

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:26:32 am »
Ginger is meant to be good for settling tums, if you're looking for something natural.
Get well soon!

I agree with LMM, ginger is wonderful for sickness.  Ginger biscuits may give you a bit of energy as you must be feeling pretty low in energy by now too.

There is a sickness bug going around here (West Mids) that is making people feel headachy, nauseous and weak.  You could have a mixture of this and BC after effects.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:41:49 am »
Probably BC after-effects.  My knees are still not enjoying cycling, and I'm still feeling a bit tired and prone to a slightly wobbly stomach (which I never get - I usually have an iron constitution!).

The only thing to do is to pamper yourself with plenty of rest and a packet of ginger biscuits. :D

« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:43:58 am »
I was going to say ginger too. I have a massive bag of crystallized ginger for the rare occasions I find myself in a bus or car, I get travel sick even more now that I'm not used to them. It really works.

I should take my own advice and take some crystallized ginger on my next FNRttC considering how nauseous I got at one stage.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:44:48 am »
Some Acidophollus tablets, I have some if you can't get hold of any, help to normalise the bacteria in the gut.  Drink plenty of fluids, rest, make sure you see the doc if your symptoms persist.

Maladict

« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:45:08 am »
I reckon I'm still suffering the after-effects too.  I had my bad stomach problems last week though and then did a 200 at the weekend.  Now I just feel tired.

I think the Irish Mail 400 may be a DNS.

« Reply #12 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
Booze in anything more than very moderate amounts does me no good after a long ride. Not that I always take notice.

Perhaps you need some animal protein [ducks and runs away].

Personally I'd always avoid casual use of the medicine cabinet.

alan

« Reply #13 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:51:45 am »
Is it appropriate to start knitting little bootees?  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:52:35 am »

LOL! Nice one  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:52:58 am »
Yeah, I'm not keen to medicate unless I really have to - have taken a couple of indigestion tablets on the grounds that calcium carbonate + peppermint can't do any harm, ditto peppermint tea / ginger biscuits!  I am still eating (although not sure I'm processing it correctly!) & haven't been ill in 48 hrs so nothing that dramatic is going on.

I v much doubt it's still hangover in any strict sense - I don't feel "right" for that (& my hangovers follow a known pattern!).  BCM aftereffects sound like the most likely scenario - & possibly also a mild bug of the sort that I'd normally shake off without noticing. 

Bah!  Nearly threw up in the lift at work just now so I am going to retire from duty for the day... 

Alan: it bloody well better not be!   :P

alan

« Reply #16 on: 28 May, 2008, 11:59:41 am »
Alan: it bloody well better not be!   :P

It would give Marj something to do whilst she is R & R.She's a wizard with knitting needles ;)

« Reply #17 on: 28 May, 2008, 01:35:07 pm »

is this a normal after-effect of the BCM?  :o

« Reply #18 on: 28 May, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »

is this a normal after-effect of the BCM?  :o

I've nearly finished mine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:22:53 pm »
I wonder if your liver has taken a beating and needs a rest.
Eat small, frequent light meals containing little fat.
Avoid alcohol for a month.
Livers usually recover completely unless repeatedly and persistently assaulted.[1]
Get well soon!

[1] Then large portions die, scar up and regenerate in little nodules, whose architecture bears little resemblance to the normal ordered structure of the liver. This is cirrhosis...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #20 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:33:40 pm »
Same here started feeling dodgy Monday bloated more wind than usual  :o. Yesterday complete lack of energy, lack of appetite and didn't finish my packed lunch at work.
Not eaten so far today and have to keep going to the toilet.
Had a slight cough since the BCM and put this down to a bug picked up since then.

Off to find some Imodiem.

Rich.

Maladict

« Reply #21 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:37:13 pm »
What a bunch of lightweights we are  ::-)

Actually still tempted to do the 400 this weekend though.  Next weekend is a rest weekend anyway before the next 400...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #22 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:38:43 pm »
Mass case of man flu?  Well know to be deadly than bird flu  ;D

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:50:40 pm »
I don't usually discuss the activities of my stomach in public but here goes.

I just rode my first 600 and I was quite franky amazed at how much stuff I ate without the need to jettison anything out (I now reckon I could park a small family hatchback in my stomach and still have room for a BLT sandwich).

If you rode and ate like me then:

1) Your sleep pattern was totally messed up (early start, late finish)
2) You ate a lot of calories at unusual times of the day (all times of the day even)
3) You made incredible calorie demands of your body for 2 straight days
4) Your body temperature was probably too high, too cold, too high and so on depending on the terrain and the time of day.
5) You were bent over a bike for 2 straight days (walking and moving about normally is good for digestion)
6) You got back and had some booze.

When you write it down it seems normal that your disgestion may be messed up and you may feel 'off' for a while I reckon.

2 days pedalling a bike is very demanding.  Top long-distance athletes don't attempt many long-distance races per year, they know full well that it takes a long time to recover.

Even when you feel recovered (maybe after a week) I bet you truly aren't.

I've finished a 200km Audax in worse shape than I finished my first 600km but I felt recovered after a day or so.  I know that my body is still undergoing repairs after the 600 (my knees were almost locked solid the morning after) so I'll stay off the bike a few more days and then take it pretty easy.

annie

« Reply #24 on: 29 May, 2008, 06:18:17 pm »
How are you feeling now Juliet?