Author Topic: zigzag down - landed softly  (Read 1843 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
zigzag down - landed softly
« on: 25 January, 2014, 11:17:47 am »

i was cycling to a parkrun today, but had my trip cut short by a careless driver who entered mini roundabout without looking (properly). i didn't have a chance to slow down and avoid the car (i was in the middle of roundabout at that time). the front wheel hit the bumper, i rolled over the bonnet and landed on the ground. luckily only a minor bruise on the left leg where it hit handlebars. the bike however will need fixing/replacing (pringled wheel and bent fork). you can see a d-lock on the ground to the right of a blue car, i was carrying it on my handlebars..
the driver took me and the bike back home, but was very unhappy that they will be late for church...

we've exchanged details and i expect a call with an incident reference number and an insurance policy number by 4pm. i had many other plans today and rta was not one of them! stay safe out there.

spindrift

Re: zigzag down - landed softly
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
That East London zigzag, near Bow? Hope you're ok.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »
Good luck with your bruise, bike and compensation claim.  At least you had the good fortune (or non bad fortune) that the driver was a relatively kind person in the end.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2014, 01:23:35 pm »
Ouch! Unlucky, glad you're not badly hurt.

Which one did you hit ran you over, the red or the blue?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
Pleased to hear you're not badly hurt Zigzag - hope you reach a happy resolution re the bike damage.

That East London zigzag, near Bow? Hope you're ok.
I recognise that as Evelyn Street NW-bound # Abinger Grove, Deptford.

spindrift

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2014, 01:56:39 pm »
Oh, I wasn't even the right side of the river.

« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:17:11 pm »
That roundabout is on my List Of Dodgy Roundabouts, and I always approach it with caution - not suggesting that Zigzag did otherwise.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »
thanks everyone for supportive words. i'm not badly hurt which is a main thing. i'll still book an appointment with gp to get myself checked over.
@PickledOnion it was that red nissan micra, i was going straight from greenwich to surrey quays (southwark parkrun) via deptford and the driver failed to see me coming from the right.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2014, 02:27:02 pm »
That roundabout is on my List Of Dodgy Roundabouts, and I always approach it with caution - not suggesting that Zigzag did otherwise.

it is quite dodgy, and i go over it twice and sometimes four times a day and know the likely scenarios very well. this time the driver clearly didn't look properly and started accelerating (from almost stopped) just as i was crossing that mini rab. i only had a split second between realising what's going to happen and the impact.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2014, 06:53:21 pm »
Gah!  This sort of thing seems to be happening a lot at the moment.

I'm very glad you're not badly hurt, Zigzag.  Good plan to get yourself checked out, though.  If you have the driver details, your GP can charge the offending driver a fee for the consultation.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2014, 06:58:54 pm »
Blimey zigzag - glad you landed softly, you've had enough damaged bits to deal with in the recent past.

Look after yourself and I hope the stuff with the bike being sorted is straight forwards.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2014, 08:44:54 pm »
Delighted to hear you are okay. Seriously though, get a chartered physio to check you over a couple of times at least and bung it on the claim. My physio has been brilliant since my big crash.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
Ouch! Glad you're OK.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #14 on: 26 January, 2014, 07:24:09 am »
Ouch, zigzag, good you are not seriously hurt, sorry about the bike. That bloody roundabout...cars always shooting on to it as though it wasn't there anyway, or, sometimes oddly giving way to you when you are poised on pedals to give way to them because it's a roundabout and then you get that stupid edging forward little dance, then they finally shoot out anyway.  Hopefully, the new CS4 will eventually  mean we can shoot down the riverside edge of Evelyn St without bothering about it, if we so choose. 

« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2014, 08:51:22 am »
Sorry to hear that Zigzag :facepalm:  Glad you're fairly OK & hope the other party's insurance gets everything sorted swiftly for you!
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
In France some years ago, I think it was Brittany, each entrance to a roundabout had a rather large "sleeping policeman" just before the white lines.   It certainly stopped the motorist's habit of dashing onto the roundabout without slowing or even (God forbid) stopping.
Pleased to hear that you're not too badly hurt. 

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
Glad you're OK ZigZag. Lucky that Micras tend (sweeping generalisation alert) to be driven by elderly people and are not always going too fast. On the other hand, elderly people do sometimes have a tendency to be less observant! And that is a dodgy roundabout.

Hope the bruises heal and the claim is quickly sorted.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:27:40 am »
Sorry to read about this ZigZag. Hope you are ok. I take it that the bike was not the carbon SS?

If the impact was sufficient to pringle a wheel and bend the fork I’d get the frame assessed in case there is damage to the main triangle itself.

Older Nissan Micras: the car of choice for the less-able-to-drive driver.

Sunday morning in South London: Time for the weekly drive, whether you can control a vehicle or not. But it’s ok: they are going to church, after all.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
Blimey zigzag.  Glad you're more or less OK.  When I had an over the bonnet incident a few years ago, the driver, too, offered me a lift home. Having seen the standard of his driving, I declined.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:02:58 am »
At least you're ok. Hope the bike gets sorted out properly and rapidly at the driver's expense.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.