Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134601 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13475 on: 26 December, 2018, 09:20:31 pm »
By the way, when a pedal fell off one of the trikes at his pre-school, my 3 year old grandson delared "My get my toolkit!", and apparently refitted the pedal with a plastic, toy spanner.  :D :D :D  :smug:
:thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13476 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »
Cleaned and retensioned the chain on the big Harry Quinn.  Master link bought from Halfrauds wouldn't work even when off the chain (Clarks stuff is total crap these days) so had to re-use KMC quick link.  More master links ordered online.

Reasons to shop online #564: sometimes you can only find crap in the shops.

Also fitted a new Hope seatclamp to the Moulton because the original looked a bit skanky and seatclamps are more critical than you realise, until you've ridden all the way home from work standing up because a bolt snapped.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13477 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:06:02 pm »
By the way, when a pedal fell off one of the trikes at his pre-school, my 3 year old grandson delared "My get my toolkit!", and apparently refitted the pedal with a plastic, toy spanner.  :D :D :D  :smug:

Brilliant! Love it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13478 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:25:06 am »
Right thumbnail, with CA glue.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13479 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:30:36 am »
Decided to check tyre pressure late last night before today's DIY. Found this:

Followed by a suspiciously shiny patch inside the mudguard. I think it was actually a (series of) stones getting caught in a tight spot and doing that. So I fettled a new tyre – well, new to that wheel – followed by new brake blocks. What I really need to fettle now is clean jeans!

Grumbles: brake callipers and mudguards sharing mounting points. And brake blocks of one brand being minusculely larger than the holders of another brand.

« Reply #13480 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:32:55 am »
Secateurs, three pairs sharpened. Now for some winter pruning of vine and quince.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13481 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:34:09 am »
All of my strategic torches get used fairly regularly as they're often the quickest way of retrieving the pingfuckit which has just launched itself under the table / desk.
The exception to this is the (converted to LED) 2 x AA Maglite in the bedroom.
I have the biggest torch Maglite manufactured, a 5 (or was it 6?) D cells - unfortunately it is so old that they don't do an LED conversion for it - so its role remains as cosh for when the zombie apocalypse happens.
Reflectalite is your friend.

http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html

Order placed with my new-found friend  :thumbsup:

Well, that's a remarkably prompt service, and 'kin 'ell! that torch is bright!

ETA - For those interested,  marginally dimmer than the most recent edition of the Hope Vision 1 (which scores rather poorly as a cosh) set on max brightness.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13482 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:46:32 am »
Ah, forgot to mention the gouge I fettled in my thumb.  ::-)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13483 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:58:11 am »
Not today but actually Saturday AM. A Miche Primato hub which had lost drive.

The three pawls are retained by a circular hair spring (or ring) which had fractured into three pieces. Learned anew the benefits of 'never throwing anything away' when searching a bits box revealed a similar freehub with knackered bearings but an intact hair spring. Happy punter...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13484 on: 28 December, 2018, 03:02:14 pm »
Bled a couple of radiators, re-pressurised the boiler, jibbled the wires to the centre speaker in the Estate Office so it now works again so I don't have to but a new one :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13485 on: 28 December, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
Since several rounds of dalek impressions weren't helping, removed the accumulated nasty from the trap under the bathroom sink.  Taking care not to empty the trap or wash my hands in said sink at any point during the operation.  Drainage restored.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13486 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:03:51 pm »
Finally got around to connecting up the speakers to the network music player in the kitchen.

Currently enjoying 6 music over a WiFi connection, having listened to some CDs earlier and a couple of podcasts.

Cracking stuff, this technology!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13487 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:15:44 pm »
Didn't really fettle anything in terms of fixing/maintaining it, but I did carve a guitar neck & fret it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13488 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:22:27 pm »
Subtle tweak to angle of brake blocks on front mini-V has rid me of the annoying (and somewhat embarrassing!) squeal.

Extraordinary how small things can change your life.  Well, OK, slight hyperbole, but at least I can now reach for my brakes without apprehension.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13489 on: 28 December, 2018, 07:12:12 pm »
Dug some glass out of my Frezoni's rear tyre and replaced the tube this morning, for the obvious reason.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13490 on: 29 December, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »
Yesterday, I tried to replace my b0rked shifter, but failed because the cable end cover is somehow welded into the down tube cable adjuster. (I decided to check that the adjuster was working ok and not all corroded to deth, stupidly, as it all went spoing and wouldn't go back together because of the plastic cable end getting in the sodding way).

For the love of dog, how on earth does a piece of plastic become welded to a metal part???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13491 on: 29 December, 2018, 12:58:23 pm »
If it's off the frame, hot air gun and long nose pliers are your friend...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13492 on: 29 December, 2018, 01:57:41 pm »
Fitted a newly purchased Campag BB to my fixed. The BB carefully stored somewhere a few months ago for just this bike should spring into visibility any hour now.

Did a bidon cage shuffle between fixed and trike. The excess tool bidons seem to have gone walkabout as well. Perhaps they'll turn up again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13493 on: 29 December, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »
Finally fitted the plastic end-cap thingies to the SKS mudguard stays on my winter/touring bike, having ridden around for a couple of months risking nasty flesh/clothing wounds from the over-long stays.  I first fitted the 'guards rather hastily in the summer, but the end-caps will only fit after the stays have been cut to length.  Come on, SKS, you can do better than this, surely?

Anyway, job now done, all neat and tidy. Now need to think about fettling the summer bike - which, thankfully, does not need mudguards.

« Reply #13494 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:15:43 pm »
Mrs Dan got a kickstand for Christmas, from *cough* some romantic guy. That got fitted to her bike, along with a good clean, new chain, general lube and adjust.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13495 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:22:15 pm »
Finally fitted the plastic end-cap thingies to the SKS mudguard stays on my winter/touring bike, having ridden around for a couple of months risking nasty flesh/clothing wounds from the over-long stays.  I first fitted the 'guards rather hastily in the summer, but the end-caps will only fit after the stays have been cut to length.  Come on, SKS, you can do better than this, surely?

Anyway, job now done, all neat and tidy. Now need to think about fettling the summer bike - which, thankfully, does not need mudguards.

I fit stacks of mudguards and do this with SKS:  1) fit and adjust (and connect the stays to the guards first!) 2, using bolt croppers cut the stays proud of the clamps 3, cut the tube part off the plastic clips, throw away the round bits 4, fit the tube bits on the stay ends with Superglue. 

This method is a) simpler and b) the caps are unlikely to break off the stays - and is simpler if the guards are removed, they stay in one piece.

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13496 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:36:02 pm »
a better, remote release trigger for the trebuchet.  Rohan had a big grin when I showed him.

So far it will fling a small marble about 6m
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13497 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »
Yes, Rob, your method makes a lot of sense - and is something I've done in the past.  I guess I'm a victim of my desire to keep all my options open if I need to adjust the 'guards to fit to a different frame or tyre size in future. In practice, this rarely happens, of course, so . . .  I'm not sure I'd bother being so 'pedantic' in future! 
Anyway, it was a good opportunity to make use of my new workshop bike stand, and tackle a fiddly job at eye level, rather than grovelling on my knees and getting backache  ;D ;

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13498 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:45:21 pm »
Didn't really fettle anything in terms of fixing/maintaining it, but I did carve a guitar neck & fret it.

What wonderful creation do you have in mind?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13499 on: 29 December, 2018, 09:04:22 pm »
If it's off the frame, hot air gun and long nose pliers are your friend...
Oh, that's a good idea
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.