Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 511770 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Just been having a look at James Kennedy's blog. It's fascinating. Thanks for the pointer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

He does some great work on 'chemphobia' and the failure of public understanding (or perhaps our educational system).

citoyen

I've forwarded the picture and blog link on to m'colleague who is looking for exactly this kind of thing for the magazine we're both working on at the moment. Hopefully we'll be able to give Mr Kennedy a bit of deserved exposure. 'The Naturalness Fallacy' would make a great cover line.

In a similar vein to the banana, this is also great: https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2018/08/09/natural-pesticides-in-a-cabbage/

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I tried the Lo-dough, it's okay but I'll not be buying anymore.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
This because I like it.

OMG, it’s got E numbers in it!!!!!!!

Onoz, kemikulz!!1!

Acetic acid has an e-number, i.e. vinegar.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Of possible use to a pro chef - anyone give/know of a good home for a knife roll, one of these?

We kept our dissection kits in similar in school and university...

I have a home-made version for my bonsai tools
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
This because I like it.

OMG, it’s got E numbers in it!!!!!!!

Onoz, kemikulz!!1!

As has E300/ Vitamin C/ Ascorbic acid/ Flour improver

citoyen

Yeah, that's pretty much the point he's making with the banana poster.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Question: how long do you age steak before cooking it?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

From what I was reading earlier, if it's a steak off a prime cut that was aged for 21 days before final cutting and packaging, there's no discernible improvement in tenderness if you go beyond 28 days - after that, it's a question of how bosky or blue-cheese-like you want your steak to taste.

Some steak houses have taken ageing to a bit of an extreme, per the following Gruinard piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/11/extreme-aged-steak-meat-with-mould-on-gourmet

However, it should be noted that the steak houses which are offering well-aged steaks age the meat in prime cut form because of the loss of mass via dehydration and the fact that the dried out/mouldy crust has to be cut off before slicing and cooking. Try ageing an individual steak that's, say, 150 grams to start with and you won't have much left to cook.

Those how have looked at giving steak additional ageing suggest that it is best done in a proper meat fridge which can maintain temperature more consistently than a domestic fridge can - the constant opening and closing of the fridge would play havoc with the ageing process.

https://jesspryles.com/how-to-dry-age-steak/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Depends on how long it takes to get the shopping home.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I've just received some of these through the post https://lodough.co/  I'm going to give them a go and see what they are like.

Note to the lo-dough people: "Glutinous" does not mean "containing gluten", for eg., glutinous rice.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
There's a vaccine in development to counteract coeliac disease.  That's going to rain on an awful lot of parades.

Cue gluten-free-produce companies supporting the antivaxx crazies.

citoyen

Or jumping on the vegan bandwagon, which would be a much bigger and therefore more lucrative market.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
There's a vaccine in development to counteract coeliac disease.  That's going to rain on an awful lot of parades.

Good luck with that, there has been one for other GI issues in development for decades, now, and nothing has come of them (I am thinking of Crohn's and UC especially)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I've just received some of these through the post https://lodough.co/  I'm going to give them a go and see what they are like.

Note to the lo-dough people: "Glutinous" does not mean "containing gluten", for eg., glutinous rice.

by the way, they are okayish.  I won't be buying anymore though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Good luck with that, there has been one for other GI issues in development for decades, now, and nothing has come of them (I am thinking of Crohn's and UC especially)

Aye well, diabetes has been cured in the very near future since the 1960s.

My Japanese colleagues often bring gifts on their visits, and more often that not the gift takes the form of jumbo "Wotsits" - a 10cm long tubular puffed rice confection with a savoury flavouring.

Today, there was a variation - a jumbo chocolate Wotsit!

Chocolate Wotsit! by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Quite a lot of people react to fodmaps rather than gluten.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Just seen these on sale in the local Sainsburys.  £1.50 a packet.....   I suppose as cyclists most of us have ingested our fair share of insect protein over the years.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/ranging-and-merchandising/sainsburys-stocks-edible-crickets-in-uk-supermarket-first/573957.article
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

Quite a lot of people react to fodmaps rather than gluten.

There's little evidence for this too. It's mostly based on a trial of 37 people with self-defined gluten intolerance. That said, as the Haribo Incident should warn us, these things do have epic destructive potential.

The worse thing I ever ate was Jerusalem artichoke. Celeriac is pretty bad too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
There was a cycling Maltese chemist in Bristol for a while who's now using his chemistry whizziness to make insect protein. Unfortunately they're not adding it to Maltesers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
There's a REASON some people call a certain vegetable a FARTichoke, isn't there?

I once had a worked colleague who used the term 'fartleberries' for baked beans...

ian

Beans are the musical fruit.

Reminds me though, I've still not shared the case file for That Jerusalem Artichoke Incident. If you're all good children tomorrow, I'll spare you.