Author Topic: etrex 30 with HRM  (Read 2521 times)

etrex 30 with HRM
« on: 16 April, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »
I like my new etrex 30 even more than my hcx, which loved. I'd like to.make use of the HRM and the cadence and possibly temp.

Any thoughts on the best stuff to buy ie garmin or other?

Any idea how much the add ons are likely to impact on battery life?

Re: etrex 30 with HRM
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »
Happily using Garmin HRM and tempe sensor from Garmin---not sure if `other` would work with a Garmin as paired sensor to Etrex

As for battery life not noticed any difference ---used tempe for about 20 hr riding total time and battery (NiMH) seemed to manage OK
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »
I use a Garmin Soft Strap HRM with my Etrex 30. They work well together, but in truth - I'm on the second HRM as battery replacement is too bloody tricky; you need the teeny weeniest screwdriver known to man to get the back off the sensor and replace the CR2032. Attempting this without precisely the right screwdriver killed my first one.

I've not been bothered with temperature or cadence, I have a good enough thermometer internally - I know when it's bloody cold, or too feckin' hot ;). Poring over cadence stats is one level too far up the wankiness scale for me, and I'm almost certain fboab would dump me (at least, as a tandem pilot) if I started collecting stats at that level of detail!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:08:10 pm »
For heart rate monitors, any brand/model will work so long as it supports ANT+.

Its a matter of personal preference, some people like some types, others don't. I found the Garmin old style plastic strap worked pretty well, though maybe uncomfortable. It sometimes slipped down my chest, though that's more of a problem running than cycling.
The newer style 'soft straps' are usually more comfortable. Though for me, it sometimes chafed, and caused scars and bleeding on my chest. And maybe more prone to dropouts/spikes in reading. The strap seemed to wear out, and become less reliable after a year or so (changing the battery and washing it didn't really help).
Note there have been several versions of the soft strap, the latest version (HRM3) might be better.

I am now using a Mio Fuse, which measures the heart rate on the wrist. Its more comfortable for me. Though maybe not quite as reliable, it sometimes fails to read my heart rate. Also more expensive, and shorter battery life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:38:22 pm »
I use a Garmin Soft Strap HRM with my Etrex 30. They work well together, but in truth - I'm on the second HRM as battery replacement is too bloody tricky; you need the teeny weeniest screwdriver known to man to get the back off the sensor and replace the CR2032. Attempting this without precisely the right screwdriver killed my first one.

+1 for all that.  Fortunately I appear to have the right screwdriver.  The elastic in my soft strap is starting to look a bit tired, but there's life in it yet, and they're not expensive to replace on their own.

I've not been bothered with temperature or cadence, I have a good enough thermometer internally - I know when it's bloody cold, or too feckin' hot ;). Poring over cadence stats is one level too far up the wankiness scale for me, and I'm almost certain fboab would dump me (at least, as a tandem pilot) if I started collecting stats at that level of detail!

I think they're both useful things to know in real time: Temperature for when you go back outside and get on your bike so you can pick the clothing you're going to need in 5 minutes time rather than the full arctic gear it feels like you need right now; Cadence for when you're starting to fade but your bonk-addled brain doesn't really notice that you're pushing too high a gear.  That said, I find I pay less and less attention to the cadence display the more familiar I am with the bike.  Logging temperature might be useful for the post-ride analysis, but that's about all.  I don't see much point to logging cadence, other than as a roundabout way of logging what gear you're in.

As such, I'm happy with the cycle computer displaying temperature and cadence, and see no real need to add appropriate sensors to the Garmin.

(Having a thermometer with you is handy for camping, for broadly similar reasons.  My cycle computer comes into the tent with me for that purpose.)

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:22:40 am »
Like fuaran, I've the old style plastic/polar-like strap - I actually bought it when the comfort straps suffered from corroding contacts and glitchiness tho I expect they've been improved. Not really noticed much effect on E30 battery life, seems to work pretty well.

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:41:53 am »
Garmin soft strap is very comfortable. Even after a day of wearing it I can forget it's there until I sit on a chair with a hard back.

The newer model has an extra contact on the left side to smooth out some of the spikes the older one suffered from. I've changed the battery using my cheap set of mini screwdrivers with no major issues.

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:42:50 am »
Find old style Garmin HRM---one with great big plastic centre strip fine to use and a 1p coin opens the battery `box`---generally comfortable though do notice I`m wearing it . On hot days it gets a bit clammy otherwise fine; glad I found it again amongst bits & pieces as new ones quite a pricey !
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:45:57 am »
Another vote for the Mio wrist band. Easier to put on than a chest strap, far more comfortable and unobtrusive.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:55:40 am »
Others have also suggested the polar strap which can be used with the garmin heart monitor, which may be more comfortable and cheaper.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:31:50 am »
I've been humming and harring about a HRM for me E30.   Just taken the plunge and bought the Garmin version with a Tempe thingy as well.

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:41:58 am »

I think they're both useful things to know in real time: Temperature for when you go back outside and get on your bike so you can pick the clothing you're going to need in 5 minutes time rather than the full arctic gear it feels like you need right now; Cadence for when you're starting to fade but your bonk-addled brain doesn't really notice that you're pushing too high a gear.
He has me to tell him he's pushing too big a gear, too  :)

I'd happily use cadence for real time btw Chris, it's only the collecting for later assessment that's wanky.

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »
BTW - one thing about the cadence pickup..*allegedly* the E30 only works with the combined (GSC10?) speed/cadence monitor - not that it can do anything with the speed bit - ie cadence-only pickups don't work. But that's only based on what I've read here or some other forum.

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2015, 06:39:42 am »
Thanks for all that.

Chris, it was for here and now cadence really and on the turbo. Not sure I'd want to look at that many hours of cadence data either...do people really do tthat?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2015, 09:23:37 am »
Chris, it was for here and now cadence really and on the turbo. Not sure I'd want to look at that many hours of cadence data either...do people really do tthat?

I'm sure looking at a graph and trying to work out why your average cadence changed three hours into the ride might be informative.

Similarly, if you can derive time spent in each gear ratio, that data could help you make an informed decision when selecting new sprockets.

Other than that, not so much.  It's one-off stuff, really.