Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21190 times)

I still hate the new Arrivee design
« on: 14 June, 2018, 02:32:11 pm »
Enough with the circles jeez yes we get it: it's about cycling. Cycling --- wheels -- yes we get it. Now please stop.

In other gripes, I just don't want to read it. Too busy? Too much going on? I gave it time, I know that change is hard ... but this simply isn't good design. (I was in magazine production 1987 - 2001.)

I'm sure I'm not alone.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2018, 02:47:09 pm »
Bloody audaxers! Always finding something to whinge about . . .

WHAT!  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2018, 03:00:33 pm »
Well done to all involved in Arrivée.

It is much slicker than it used to be.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »
Well done to all involved in Arrivée.

It is much slicker than it used to be.

Indeed. I liked the old one, but I find the new layout easier to read.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »
Does it mean the new issue is out or this is just a general rant?

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »
'Get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand' ... As someone once sang.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2018, 09:15:44 pm »
Who remembers Vision-On from the early 70s?

Only the London 2012 Olympics design is better...

Oh and the last Squatting Buzzard AUK design...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2018, 09:19:55 pm »
Liza Simpson giving Bart a blow job?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:01:12 pm »
I'm sure I'm not alone.

you might be, massive improvement as far as I am concerned

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:41:44 am »
Enough with the circles jeez yes we get it: it's about cycling. Cycling --- wheels -- yes we get it. Now please stop.

In other gripes, I just don't want to read it. Too busy? Too much going on? I gave it time, I know that change is hard ... but this simply isn't good design. (I was in magazine production 1987 - 2001.)

I'm sure I'm not alone.

Don't want to read it?  The thing is, you don't have to read it.  Just pass it on to your cycling friends or club mates.  Don't like the articles?  Write something interesting.  Don't like the design?  Volunteer your services.

A lot of unpaid work by volunteers goes into Arrivee so please be mindful of how damaging your comments can be.  Offers of help are I'm sure always welcome.  So is constructive criticism, but in the right place.  A moan on a public forum probably doesn't help anybody and in the end leads to job vacancies.

Funnily enough, I see that the Communications Director post is listed as vacant at http://www.aukweb.net/official/contacts/.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:56:55 am »
^
x1000

It's put up or shut up when it comes to whining about stuff other people are doing for you for free.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:52:04 am »
If it offends you, just stick it in the bin.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:54:18 am »
I think it is great. Magazines evolve over time and that is what Arrive is doing.

I’m not sure a Heath and Efficiecny style is relevant nowadays.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:51:47 am »
What Delph said.

My parents are involved in creating a similar magazine for the British walking federation, they thought the last edition of Arrivee was great , spent time to read it all (they don’t even like cycling!), and commented on how professional and well put together it was.  They have taken away some ideas for their own publication :) well done all round, the new style is a great evolution

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:56:15 am »
I'm sure I'm not alone.

You're not, I and a few other people I know don't like it at all, but do I agree with

A lot of unpaid work by volunteers goes into Arrivee so please be mindful of how damaging your comments can be.  Offers of help are I'm sure always welcome.  So is constructive criticism, but in the right place.  A moan on a public forum probably doesn't help anybody and in the end leads to job vacancies.

I've not contributed owt since that helmet article and I'm not sure I will for a while yet. As baffling as I find the circle jerking, just saying 'its shite' doesn't really help anyone.

« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:13:41 am »
I think its excellent, and have read them cover to cover since finally joining AUK two seasons ago. Of all the newsletters etc that turn up from various bodies, its the only one I read. If anything it seems too good for audax, I wouldn't of been surprised if we just had a handwritten report faxed to a district secretary and put on a notice board somewhere, so the fact a lovely magazine is delivered through my letter box is fantastic.

Ill also say that having done various voluntary things in the past, just one negative comment can ruin 100's of positive ones, especially when, in my opinion, it is unwarranted.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:36:17 am »
Best cycling magazine around by a long mile... written by cyclists for cyclists... with very little in the way of nonsense, zero pressure put on the reader to buy more stuff... inspiring articles about rides that anyone can actually do without remortgaging a house, the new graphics are more attractive and more in line with it being a 21st century read

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:48:24 am »

Ill also say that having done various voluntary things in the past, just one negative comment can ruin 100's of positive ones, especially when, in my opinion, it is unwarranted.

Within a voluntary organisation, criticism should be constructive, and is probably best accompanied by an offer to contribute one's services.

« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
I am neutral on the design but deeply appreciative that someone does it! But more important to me is the content and I *love* the new editorial direction - more variety, more inclusive, an acknowledgement that people who do Audax might just be interested in other forms of long distance cycling. I am sorry the OP is too tired to read it and is weary with change. Perhaps his blood sugar was low?

« Reply #19 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:59:40 am »
Another vote for the new design. It's a great read and keeps getting better and better (helmet controversies aside).

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #20 on: 15 June, 2018, 11:38:17 am »
If it offends you, just stick it in the bin.
(With my memsec hat on)
Or e-mail me at membership@audax.uk with your real name and membership number and I will remove your name from mailing lists in future. It is not compulsory to receive the magazine and I do have a (very small) list of opt-outs.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 15 June, 2018, 12:37:27 pm »
Well I think vermooten's post isn't so heinous. reasons:

- We're talking about visuals - it's all about taste. Purely subjective. If I said I don't like Adele's music, is that offensive to her?

- There has been an avalanche of praise for the new look-n-feel. Hearing a couple of views to the contrary is unlikely to discourage the volunteer(s) in question.

(personally I just like to be able to read stuff, so I tend to moan about bad colour contrast choices. graphics and fonts don't bother me tooooo much. Usually ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 15 June, 2018, 12:44:48 pm »
I agree with you, matt.  I don't have a strong view either way, the mag has always been good enough for me and still is.  Some over-reaction here, I think.  Is nobody to be allowed an opinion without being told to do it themselves?  Certainly the effort involved is both colossal and colossally appreciated.  Does that mean comment is forbidden?

Peter

« Reply #23 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:01:41 pm »
Bollocks.

Vermooten's post was very rude and completely negative. Nothing constructive.

« Reply #24 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
A little like yours, you silver-tongued charmer!