Author Topic: Neuralgia  (Read 1428 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Neuralgia
« on: 23 November, 2018, 09:45:46 am »
I’m into my third day of a bout of neuralgia. It manifests itself as a stabbing pain in the back of my head on the left side. The frequency and intensity varies but this morning it’s about every 2 minutes and approaching 9 out of 10 (where a kidney stone jammed in my ureter = 10).
The pain is intense for a second then recedes to leave a burning sensation.
Touching my scalp in the wrong place can trigger the pain as, it seems, can swallowing and coughing, although it happens without any cause too.
It’s quite debilitating. Paracetamol and ibuprofen don’t seem to touch it.
The doctor has referred me to a neurologist and prescribed amitriptyline (20mg before turning in) which means I can at least get a good night’s sleep.
It was originally diagnosed as Trigeminal neuralgia but my current gp agrees with google that it is not in the right place for that. I think it might be occipital neuralgia.
This is only my second serious episode in 11 years: I usually have several short attacks a year lasting just a few moments each.
I have a notion that it is the result of being hit on the head with a fire extinguisher (the small ones they have in taxis) in 1991. At least, I don’t remember experiencing this before that date.
Does anyone else have or know any more about this kind of thing? Neuralgia, I mean; not being beaten with a fire extinguisher.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Neuralgia
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
I don't know a lot about neuralgia. I was prescribed amitriptyline to attempt to deal with my migraines. Don't drink and take amitriptyline. Just don't.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Paul

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2018, 10:35:50 am »
I won’t.
Out of interest, what happened?

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »
I won’t.
Out of interest, what happened?
The line between being pleasantly mellow and off-your-face smashed so you act like a weirdo smashed on a cocktail of ketamine and downers is tissue-paper thin and separated by one half-glass of wine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:48:09 pm »
ISTR that carbemazepine and anti-epileptic medications can be helpful but this is not my field.

Alcohol and anything with 'sedative' effects do not mix safely.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2018, 07:31:22 pm »
Almost symptom free now and back to work today. Phew.

I think carbemazepine is the standard drug but I told the doctor that it sent me a bit doolally last time, thus the amitriptyline - which at least gave me a good night’s sleep.