Poll

Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?

Yes, avidly
61 (67.8%)
With mild interest
23 (25.6%)
No
3 (3.3%)
No, it's boring
1 (1.1%)
No, they're all on drugs
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: 28 July, 2010, 05:35:41 pm

Author Topic: Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?  (Read 11071 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?
« on: 14 July, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »
Just wondering...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Are you watching/following the Tour de France this year?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2010, 05:38:31 pm »
How about: Yes, they're all on drugs.  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2010, 05:56:14 pm »
I like the idea that chief mentioned to me one day.  There should be two classes within athletic competitions: "turbocharged" and "normally aspirated".  ;D ;)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »
well that didn't last long before turning to comments about drugs.... :facepalm:

a new record?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:37:28 pm »
well that didn't last long before turning to comments about drugs.... :facepalm:

a new record?
Well strictly speaking it started out with a comment about drugs since that was one of the options.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »
I follow avidly and enjoy it. I like the scenery .

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:55:33 pm »
Avidly (and cynically)  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »
Yep, totally loving it.  I don't think they are all on drugs this year either.  Look at Samuel Sanchez yesterday and Cadel and even Lance.  All knackered.

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2010, 07:52:58 pm »
I ticked mildly as I've really enjoyed the ones I've watched but having been away I'm still several days behind and that doesn't really qualify for avid.  :-[

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »
I follow avidly and enjoy it. I like the scenery .

Definitely +1.

The TdF rules are stuck on the fridge, and they are being obeyed.   :thumbsup:

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2010, 09:22:48 pm »
When possible I watch about the last hour each day quite "avidly" - so I ticked the first box!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

kevinp

« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
I am also watching it .. I have no work so I'm even getting paid to watch it :)

The only thing I don't understand is why we can't watch all of it, from the start. I know that it would be a few hours of tv but they wouldn't start a football match in the last quarter would they.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
I watched it all from km 0 yesterday, apart from about 20km when I had to pop out.

It gives a real idea of how a whole day in the saddle feels like, when you watch the entire stage from the sofa.

Jakob

« Reply #13 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:06:10 pm »
Would watch it if I could, but the stages finishes about the time I get up and there's no way to watch it online at work and with the hours I work at the moment, that means I don't get to watch it. I try to keep up with the news, though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »
Last Sunday, I was supposed to be doing jobs in the garden but I couldn't tear myself away from the screen until it was all over. Fortunately, by that time it was a bit cooler outside, so it worked out quite well. During the week, I watch the live ITV feed at my desk while pretending to work. Sometimes, it's so engrossing, I forget to pretend.

As noted elsewhere, I found certain elements of yesterday's stage a bit depressing, which has spoiled my enjoyment in some respects, but overall, I still love the spectacle of it. Even if it can't quite match this year's Giro for excitement - yeah, the cobbles stage was thrilling but it was trumped by the strade bianchi stage on the Giro.

I didn't watch it live today because I was too busy with actual work, but I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to see Cav take his third stage of this year's Tour.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
Not since Floyd suddenly performed a volte face and went 'Actually, Guys! Its OK! I was on drugs all the frikkin' time!'

FWIW I believe in Lance and Johann but the Landis thing is just the one that tips it over the edge.

Bolleaux to 'em, I say. I get no pleasure from watching fit young men putting themselves through hell and for what? To die in obscurity some time in their mid 40s cos their hearts can't pump Lyles Golden Syrup?

I used to love watching cycle racing, now it just leaves a bad taste . . .

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2010, 08:24:42 am »
Yeah, but without my usual enthusiasm.  Pretty much limited to reading the Grauniad reports and checking the standings at the end of each day.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:51:47 am »
Hell yes.  Cav is great soap opera.  The leader tussle is practically a bromance.  Crashes!  Carbon!  Alps!   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:16:19 am »
Absolutely.

Mrs JT and I were in Brussels for Stage 1 and then followed it through Belgium and France right up until after the start of Stage 6 in Montargis.*

Now that we're back home we Sky+ Eurosport HD's live coverage and the ITV highlights programme (for the interviews and VT segments) and do not peek at the results during the afternoon.

*We were lucky on this trip because while we were in Brussels, Dave Brailsford remembered us from the track worlds in Copenhagen earlier in the year. He had a word with press officer, Fran Millar (David Millar's sister), who looked after us very well.

A couple of my best photos from Stage 3:

My Tour de France 2020 photo set on Flickr
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:27:41 am »
Best first week for years. Usually I find the first few days a bit tedious. I did like last years prologue in Monaco though that was a good idea.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:37:26 am »
I like spotting branches of Lidl (handy to get a feel for this as the beer is very cheap and good quality) and interpreting the banners. Did anyone else get the significance of a flag with a  picture of Homer Simpson's religious neighbour on the cobbled stage?

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:40:33 am »
Great pics, JT!  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:45:39 am »
JT's pic of Cancellara followed by Schleck followed by Evans followed by Hushovd followed by (can't see but presumably) Thomas illustrates one of the things that's great about the Tour de France (and bike racing in general) - in what other sport can you get up so close to see the world's top pros in action?

d.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:52:42 am »
JT's pic of Cancellara followed by Schleck followed by Evans followed by Hushovd followed by (can't see but presumably) Thomas illustrates one of the things that's great about the Tour de France (and bike racing in general) - in what other sport can you get up so close to see the world's top pros in action?

Rallying?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #24 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:56:33 am »
Great pics, JT!  :thumbsup:

:-[ Thanks.

d.

Yes it's Thomas after Evans.

Spot on about how close you can get and it's even better on the big mountains because they are that much slower.

To take the above photos I was crouched down so even closer to the riders if you like. This chasing group (with Hesjedal in front of them) really came thundering through and with the noise and dust being generated by the fans, riders, motos and cars - it was incredible. Really, tremendously exciting to be in amongst the action.

a great mind thinks alike