Author Topic: Protein powder  (Read 6797 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Protein powder
« on: 22 October, 2018, 03:06:09 pm »
 I haven't used the stuff for a good 10 years.

But now I have to use it again. My body need more protein than I can get during my daily meals.

But my questions are :
Why are they so sweet, even the lemon I've tried were more sweet than sour. ?
Does there exists a tangy or sour taste in protein powder ?

The two bests tasts I've found are "Neutral" and a "Milk Tea Blend"

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Protein powder
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2018, 03:38:50 pm »
Dunno I tend to go for neutral of anything that is protein or energy drinks. Cause what ever they call "flavour" is just plain simple gag, ewwww and waaaay to sweet. 

We are eating Huel atm. I can just about bear their vanilla and berry if I hide it in their unflavoured, eg 1-2 cups unflavoured to one of the flavoured. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2018, 04:04:11 pm »
David has unflavoured whey protein powder. It is pretty tasteless. He puts it in his porridge for breakfast.

I order 2.5kg bags from either Bulk Powders or My Protein, depending on which supplier has the best price that week.

« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »
Yep, unflavoured is available, but not AFAIK sour.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2018, 05:48:03 pm »
I don't know if these powders are different in Denmark...

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
I don't know if these powders are different in Denmark...

Not really, we have Bodylab who is danish. The rest are international companies incl. My protein  and The Hut group.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2018, 07:36:50 pm »
What little research I did around protein supplementation resulted in 0% fat Greek yogurt as the best option. Sometimes I have it as is, sometimes with a squirt of golden syrup on top and for breakfast mixed in with granola. The main thing I wanted to do was have a protein hit just before bedtime (although I can't remember the paper that gave me that idea).

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
I'm eating skyr too, but I need about 120-140 gr. protein pr Day and that is on a 12-1500 kcal daily calorie intake. 
Lean meat and fish are high protein sources too.

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2018, 12:10:11 pm »
If you're ok with dairy I think even better than Greek yoghurt for protein is Quark, which (to me) tastes not dissimiliar and is nice with honey or fruit.

For vegan protein options Form Nutrition do a great flavourless powder which I put into my overnight oats (I am not vegan but taking steps to reduce animal products where I can easily can). They also do a chocolate peanut flavour and a choc salted caramel flavour and I spent some time living off these as milkshakes (among other things) when I had a troublesome wisdom tooth out. The only problem is they are pretty expensive, though discount codes are available and they keep sending these to me in return for reviews.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2018, 12:35:50 pm »
... I think even better than Greek yoghurt for protein is Quark, which tastes not dissimiliar to me and is nice with honey or fruit.

Am I the only one here who does not know what NSTN tastes like?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2018, 01:11:17 pm »
Don't even know what it means.  Always thought protein powder was what body-builders pigged out on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2018, 02:34:48 pm »
... I think even better than Greek yoghurt for protein is Quark, which tastes not dissimiliar to me and is nice with honey or fruit.

I have edited. Forgot one's posts here must be written impeccably.

« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2018, 03:11:34 pm »
For vegan protein options Form Nutrition do a great flavourless powder which I put into my overnight oats (I am not vegan but taking steps to reduce animal products where I can easily can). They also do a chocolate peanut flavour and a choc salted caramel flavour and I spent some time living off these as milkshakes (among other things) when I had a troublesome wisdom tooth out. The only problem is they are pretty expensive, though discount codes are available and they keep sending these to me in return for reviews.

MyProtein also do Vegan protein, at less than half the price of Form.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/vegan-protein-blend/11311072.html

I note that this version is 67% protein, vs 82% for their whey protein, whereas Form is 80% protein.

« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:22:37 pm »

I have edited. Forgot one's posts here must be written impeccably.

Just in English would be good;)

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:39:01 pm »
Greek Yoghurt - I can't stand the 0% fat variety; I have no idea why anyone would want to.

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:40:31 pm »
Greek Yoghurt - I can't stand the 0% fat variety; I have no idea why anyone would want to.

Because cottage cheese is worse?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:13:02 pm »
I'm not sure I see the point of it anyway. Surely fat isn't the enemy in 2018  :-\

(if posters have some pressing dietary reason to be minimising fat intake, I apologise in advance)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #17 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:16:29 pm »
Just to keep the tread on it's track. neutral seems to be the best option for me.

And for high protein food sources, I know most of them and have tried most of them.
I'm an omnivore and don't have intolerances or allergies. I'm not vegetarian or vegan.

The problem and reason for wanting Protein powder is volume. I can only eat restricted volumes of food now.
The calorie deficit means I need extra protein so my body won't consume the protein in my body so I minimize my muscle loss
and my metabolism are kept at present level.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #18 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:18:27 pm »

Because cottage cheese is worse?

I don't eat cottage cheese but like the taste and more importantly the texture of the Greek yogurt, the Waitrose and Tesco own brand 0% fat versions are significantly better than the Fage brand.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »
Just to keep the tread on it's track. neutral seems to be the best option for me.

And for high protein food sources, I know most of them and have tried most of them.
I'm an omnivore and don't have intolerances or allergies. I'm not vegetarian or vegan.

The problem and reason for wanting Protein powder is volume. I can only eat restricted volumes of food now.
The calorie deficit means I need extra protein so my body won't consume the protein in my body so I minimize my muscle loss
and my metabolism are kept at present level.

Some body builders mix in protein powder into their bedtime Greek yogurt.

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #20 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:38:28 pm »

:sick: Tried it, I needed to be diluted with milk otherwise it was uneatable, to much solids  in it

Pedal Castro

« Reply #21 on: 23 October, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »

:sick: Tried it, I needed to be diluted with milk otherwise it was uneatable, to much solids  in it

I just tried it for the first time with the Pusil 93% whey protein powder I bought last week, really nice with a butterscotch flavoured golden syrup. I have no idea what the whey protein powder would taste like in a shake but it would be a matter of trying different flavours of you want something non-sweet, maybe a spicy Sichuan sauce?

« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2018, 06:23:41 am »
I would suggest that the actual nature/ type of the proteins is the thing to look at before deciding on the taste.
There’s also evidence about the timing of protein ingestion being important to gain maximum benefit.

« Reply #23 on: 24 October, 2018, 12:38:14 pm »
Yes, any more than 20g per meal is wasted.

I supplement with protein, partly for satiety benefits, partly because I am a lazy veggie. I am not vegan, but I find the vegan version mostly unpalatable.

https://myvega.com/products/vega-clean-protein < that one is okayish. I add it to huel.

My preferred option is the chocolate peanut butter version of this. Think snickers shake.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Beware, some of the option are disgusting - the stracciatella was only fit for the bin, same with salted caramel.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #24 on: 24 October, 2018, 03:52:07 pm »
I would suggest that the actual nature/ type of the proteins is the thing to look at before deciding on the taste.
There’s also evidence about the timing of protein ingestion being important to gain maximum benefit.
Paper here:
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/8/12/763/htm

Infographic here:
https://ylmsportscience.com/2016/11/29/pre-sleep-protein-ingestion-to-improve-muscle-response-to-training/