Author Topic: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?  (Read 104363 times)

Re: Pendle 600 (2/6/2012) - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #675 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:15:55 pm »
Got Travelodge in Burnley the night before, presume others will be staying there. We could meet for a pint or

Will either get the train or cycle over from Sheffield, depends on work. Will definitely be getting the train back from Clitheroe so will need to be done by 8pm on the Sunday

« Reply #676 on: 24 May, 2023, 04:55:51 pm »
Hmm, probs a nicer option than sleeping in the car. Is that an unmanned hotel - wonder if they do left luggage?

« Reply #677 on: 25 May, 2023, 11:19:52 am »
it's standard Travelodge, manned all hours from what I've experienced in the past. no idea about left luggage

we do have bag drops to Langwathby control, which could be your best left luggage option

« Reply #678 on: 25 May, 2023, 02:14:10 pm »
It was more that I was thinking of working remotely with a laptop so I could break up the drive up, rather than doing 4-5hrs on Fri night. I might give them a call. Thanks.

« Reply #679 on: 26 May, 2023, 10:30:46 am »
Travelodge Burnley will hold small bags so I've booked there. My rough plan is to leave early Fri morning, get some hours driving in, work remote, drive some more at lunch and then early night in Burnley. Probably then drive to the HQ on Sat morning.

Someone mentioned pints...

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #680 on: 30 May, 2023, 11:21:20 am »
Another here in Burnley Travelodge on Friday night, up for pints provided I arrive at a reasonable time

« Reply #681 on: 08 June, 2023, 11:20:47 am »
Many takers out there this year ?

Looks like it might be rather warm ....

« Reply #683 on: 08 June, 2023, 12:34:34 pm »
Instead of bike mechanicals, now it's car. At least I tested it in advance instead of waking up at 4am and finding it a non-starter.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #684 on: 08 June, 2023, 12:50:12 pm »
Oh no? Fixable in time? I can offer a lift to the start if you can get to Burnley.

I was planning on https://goo.gl/maps/NsouyGUJq1ab9AL89 . Seems to be free and on the right side of Clitheroe approaching from Burnley

« Reply #685 on: 08 June, 2023, 12:58:53 pm »
Oh no? Fixable in time? I can offer a lift to the start if you can get to Burnley.
I was planning on https://goo.gl/maps/NsouyGUJq1ab9AL89 . Seems to be free and on the right side of Clitheroe approaching from Burnley

Yeah, I found that one and a few others on Parkepedia too, look to be cheap or free for the weekend.

Looks like flat battery (story of my life!) so it's on the charger now but I've kinda got the 'ump with the universe now so I might skip the warmest Pendle ever and do it as a DIY when the weather is properly crap, after I relocate to the north when I don't need to drive for hours to get to the start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #686 on: 08 June, 2023, 01:32:00 pm »
Just get another battery fitted by a mobile mechanic, if you don't trust the charger to do the job.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #687 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:18:20 pm »

Yeah, I found that one and a few others on Parkepedia too, look to be cheap or free for the weekend.

Looks like flat battery (story of my life!) so it's on the charger now but I've kinda got the 'ump with the universe now so I might skip the warmest Pendle ever and do it as a DIY when the weather is properly crap, after I relocate to the north when I don't need to drive for hours to get to the start.

I used to suffer a lot with flat car batteries as I don’t use the car very often.  This year I got a solar charger that plugs into the OBD port that all cars have since 2009.  Solved the battery issue, and means I don’t have to remember to take the car for a run each week. Too late for you now, but something for you to possibly get.

Re: Pendle 600 - Anyone know any details?
« Reply #688 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:34:44 pm »
I have one of those solar chargers. It seems to do very little. Certainly not enough to make up for whatever the standard battery drain is in this thing.
I think the car's been unused since the Wessex 400 maybe a month ago. I'd have sold already it if my insurance hadn't automatically renewed.
Battery is on a charger now but I could just make a habit of entering and not riding the Pendle. That could be my 'thing'.

« Reply #689 on: 08 June, 2023, 05:24:05 pm »
I have the AA 5W solar which does the job on a 2009 Subaru.

« Reply #690 on: 08 June, 2023, 05:30:25 pm »

AA 5060114614185 from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ which doesn't keep enough juice in the battery to leave it a month before starting (similar 2003 turbo petrol).
I've charged it, so if it starts I'm going to try and leave early tomorrow. If it doesn't, have a good ride everyone! :)

Re: Pendle 600
« Reply #691 on: 08 June, 2023, 05:54:41 pm »

AA 5060114614185 from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ which doesn't keep enough juice in the battery to leave it a month before starting (similar 2003 turbo petrol).
I've charged it, so if it starts I'm going to try and leave early tomorrow. If it doesn't, have a good ride everyone! :)

Not the one I have, and for some reason you link doesn’t say what it’s power output is.

Re: Pendle 600
« Reply #692 on: 08 June, 2023, 06:27:23 pm »
Not the one I have, and for some reason you link doesn’t say what it’s power output is.

Maybe 2.4W: https://www.saxon-brands.com/product/aa/maintenanceaa/aa4185

We'd taken to unplugging the battery and that did a better job than this trickle charger. I thought it would be ok but then we took a train to Brimstone instead of driving.

Anyway, soon I'll be rid of the car and this will be a non-issue. I'll spend next year's insurance/tax/MOT money on an AirBNB near the start for a month :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #693 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:30:28 am »

I used to suffer a lot with flat car batteries as I don’t use the car very often.  This year I got a solar charger that plugs into the OBD port that all cars have since 2009.  Solved the battery issue, and means I don’t have to remember to take the car for a run each week. Too late for you now, but something for you to possibly get.

Another solution might be to not own a car and hire one when you need one. Insurance, VED, MOT, Servicing adds up to quite a few car hires. Over the year it may be cheaper, even though it makes each individual use seem more expensive. Also time saved in not dealing with maintenance visits or washing cars.

We'd taken to unplugging the battery..

additional benefit of protection against signal cloning thefts

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #694 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:43:38 am »
Ha! I'd love it if someone cloned the thing and nicked it (so long as I got the insurance money) but it's not exactly the kind of car that screams "take me!".

Anyway, it started! Since I woke before my alarm I actually made it up here before my morning meeting so it went easier than expected. I'd hire cars in the past but it used to cost me a fortune because I was a contractor and lost money having to get a bus to pick it up on Fri then take it back on Monday. Now that I'm not racing much these days I don't really get much out of owning one other than using it as a garden shed for storing stuff.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #695 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:53:19 am »
might be cheaper than a 25square foot storage unit at a surprisingly high cost of £70 a month.  (safestore in London)

« Reply #696 on: 09 June, 2023, 12:07:24 pm »

Another solution might be to not own a car and hire one when you need one. Insurance, VED, MOT, Servicing adds up to quite a few car hires. Over the year it may be cheaper, even though it makes each individual use seem more expensive. Also time saved in not dealing with maintenance visits or washing cars.

How long have you been car free, and how do you find it?  It’s certainly something I ponder, from time to time.

« Reply #697 on: 09 June, 2023, 01:11:23 pm »
How long have you been car free, and how do you find it?  It’s certainly something I ponder, from time to time.
Insightful question, Phil. Will be interesting to hear the extent to which these helpful suggestions are based on experience.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #698 on: 09 June, 2023, 02:39:49 pm »

Unfortunately I am not there yet, but I am of a mind that my current car will be my last car, while I already think the running costs of a car are probably not justified, the purchase cost of a new model are certainly not. when I bought my large estate car it was on the assumption that by the time it was 10 years old my children would have finished university and I wouldn't need to be lugging loads around any more.

I don't need to drive to get to my workplace and I can walk to town (shops/restaurants/cinema/bowling), or the supermarket (or get delivery), so really my only car need is getting to audaxes, Going to the airport a taxi cost is in line with a weeks airport parking.
Insightful question, Phil. Will be interesting to hear the extent to which these helpful suggestions are based on experience.
Indeed, currently it is an ambition rather than experience. But I find getting to work in  a car to be less pleasant than riding, and I do not tend to use the car for groceries. So in the last year I have had 8 trips to universities (which will be down to 2 in the next 12 months then none), went to Loughton to collect my LEL stuff (could have used the train), and 8 trips to audax events. Only one of which could not be managed on the train, or it could have but would have resulted in an additional hotel stay. This year was an unusually high number of non local events for me as I chase 100 points. 2022 had 5 audaxes I drove to.

I do not advocate the car free life for everyone, but when people use the car so infrequently the battery goes flat between uses, then it raises the question whether the car is good value. Even less so in London where car clubs exist (Zipcar etc), which I understand to be cheaper and more flexible than conventional car hire.

locally car hire for a day is about £80 or £60 for a van, and for a weekend is about £200. adding servicing, insurance, VED, MOT and tyres I probably spend about £2k a year keeping my car going, that pays for a lot of hire occasions. Car due in for a diagnostic check next week after warning light and limp home incident on a work trip (company would hire a car if needed), the outcome of that may well push car free life forward. In response I stopped using it, and I got the train to Brimstone, which I found surprisingly low stress. Getting the train to audaxes also makes sense for the journey home after long events as no need to worry about travelling tired. of course you need to finish before the last train home, because the first train in the morning eats into work time.

as you astutely point out, this is all theory currently.

Pros
potentially cheaper if fewer than 8 car hires per year
no arranging of mot, service, unexpected repairs
no time spent cleaning the car
no temptation to use the car for short journeys just because it's already owned.
no driving tired after long events

Cons
no car available for surprise events that come up.
car hire pricing and availability is variable
getting bike to shop for repair is a hassle (or at least getting home after dropping it off is a hassle, maybe I should ask about a courtesy bike :D)
getting anywhere far afield outside of public transport hours is a hassle
train journey times are often longer
a hire car needed for Saturday might need to be hired from Friday evening to Monday morning.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #699 on: 09 June, 2023, 03:58:23 pm »

locally car hire for a day is about £80 or £60 for a van, and for a weekend is about £200. adding servicing, insurance, VED, MOT and tyres I probably spend about £2k a year keeping my car going, that pays for a lot of hire occasions.

And you need to get to the car hire location, too. Out in the sticks that's not always easy (unless you can put your bike straight into the hire car)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa