Author Topic: 20" Tires  (Read 6520 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
20" Tires
« on: 18 July, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »
I need new front tires on the Concept. At the moment they are Vredestein Perfect Moiree. Considering we snapped 3 levers (Tacx, Park and Var) trying to get them off off the bloody rims I'm thinking Marathon Plus Smartguards.

Whatcha good and suitable? Will they double the weight of the trike?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: 20" Tires
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »
I find regular Marathons work really well for me in 20" side and it's possible to get them on using just hands (not levers) as they've got a bit more give than M+ which I find too heavy anyway.

Just had a puncture on a Marathon - my first for 3,500 miles - and it was a snakebite caused by me fiddling about with the tyre (deflating it and picking out stones).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »
Marathon Supremes are brilliant (very fast rolling)  and West Country Recumbents have the Tryker in which is designed with the front wheel stresses of a trike in mind.
                                                                                             ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:43:06 pm »
Marathon Plus on barakta's ICE Sprint are a bastard to get on the rim.  We've had one puncture so far (in all of about 600km): shard of glass right through the protective layer - which I attribute to bad luck exacerbated by the high cyclepath content of the cycling we were doing at first.

I've got regular Marathons on the front of my Streetmachine and on the folding BSO.  Never had a puncture on them in about 8000 miles total (though obviously two wheeled machines are at an advantage there).  Much lighter than the plus, and easy enough to fit if you have a standard set of thumbs (barakta doesn't - hence the choice of bulletproof tyres).

Given that my recent experiment at comparing the Sprint to the SMGT found the trike about 10% slower, it seems reasonable to want to minimise weight/rolling resistance.  Supremes sound like a good choice.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
I've got supremes on my trike. Reasonably p proof (about 4 events in 18 months, and 4200 miles)

Can get them on with thumbs.

However, just killed one by overinflating (100psi caused a bulge), and the rear is looking somewhat sad at the moment - many small cuts.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:14:01 pm »
I had a pair of Supremes on the front, didn't greet the fairy once from new to end (3800), highly chuffed
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Si

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
I'm using big apples on my pdq (2.2 IIRC)- i find they roll better and give more comfort than the Marathons that were on before.  Fitting was very reasonable too.

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2012, 11:22:17 pm »
I'm using big apples on my pdq (2.2 IIRC)- i find they roll better and give more comfort than the Marathons that were on before.  Fitting was very reasonable too.

50mm BA's on my Trice QNT. One puncture from a shard of wing mirror glass that went through the side of the tyre. Very easy to get on and off and very comfy.
I've been using Soma tyre levers. They are steel covered in plastic - possibly nylon. I think somebody on here told me about them.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2012, 02:09:04 am »
Argh I've been offered the M+ for £15 each. I guess that settles it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2012, 06:44:04 am »
Anyone tried the tryker dedicated trike tyres? Think I'm going to give them a go.

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »
Dark eyes (of this forum, though more of a lurker than contributor) has just replaced the Marathons on the front of his Greenspeed tandem with Trykers. I was out on Saturday piloting him around a 25 mile loop of West London. First impressions were that they run/roll very well. they are certainly a lot quieter, I couldn't hear them above the tractor like hum of the Marathon on the back, which is probably 12 feet away from me ! One concern is that the side walls aren't as thick, will be interesting to see how they hold up to the strain of cornering on the tandem, but as I say first impressions pretty good. Of course only having them on front means that we still have the chunky and maybe grippier Marathon on the back to deliver the power.
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

tonycollinet

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:11:41 pm »
OK - 3 trykers ordered from bikediscount.de

Supremes will now be reserved for the streetmachine front wheel.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
It'll be interesting to see how the M+ compares with the Perfect Moiree. I guess if it's a lot worse I could just stick them aside as a fall back.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:25:21 pm »
Just fitted the trykers after a rear blowout last week.

Rolling resistance seems noticeably lower - and this is comparing with supreme that have been on for about 1 1/2 years. This is of course only subjective - but it has been both there and back - so wind is not a factor.

I'm impressed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »
HK has been much impressed with 406 Ultremos, compared to the previous Duranos. She is a little surprised by how narrow they are, so I'll be fitting Panaracer Minit Lites next. I'm happy with 406 Grand Prix.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 21 November, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
West Country Recumbents appear to have stopped doing the Trykers   ???

tonycollinet

« Reply #16 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:30:00 am »
Bike-discount.de have them at EUR 22 (About £20)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a69147/.html?

tonycollinet

« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »
Uh Oh - thats not too promising. First puncture after 3 days commute. Will check where/how tomorrow.

« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
On Marathon racer rear/Supreme fronts she who must not be named is on rare visitor status (so far maybe one every 6,000 miles), will be interested to see what attracted her to your Trykers as thought same technology as the Supremes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 23 November, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
Should probably add to this thread: in the interests of making barakta a little faster while riding with a competent puncture-repairist, we invested in a set of Kojaks (chosen mainly because they were cheap).  They make a substantial improvement in rolling resistance and handling (on tarmac) compared to the M+.  Only had one deflation so far - a double-snakebite caused by a high-speed impact with a pothole, but she's not doing very much mileage.

I put the M+ back on for the winter last week.

« Reply #20 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »
i have  marathon greens on the the front wheels of my trice adventure and specialized armadillo on the 26" rear wheel . i have had one punture in the rear wheel( a hawthorn on the tunnels ride) in over a year and none in the front wheels. 
my pr trice has a pair of marathon supremes on the front and currently a marathon green on its 26"rear wheel .both machines will be running marathon  racers all round in the spring  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
i have  marathon greens on the the front wheels of my trice adventure and specialized armadillo on the 26" rear wheel . i have had one punture in the rear wheel( a hawthorn on the tunnels ride)

I was impressed by how it didn't deflate, in spite of the abundance of opportunities for it to do so in annoying places.  Fairy was obviously having an off-day.

« Reply #22 on: 24 November, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
when i used to mountain bike years ago after one ride i had a puncture .i found 7 hawthorn's in the tire . they had bean there for a few weeks   :o. the air escaped because the thorns were rotting out .ever since then i do not take hawthorn out until the tire goes flat or i have got home .the tire went flat at home the next day in this case  :).
the slower you go the more you see

tonycollinet

« Reply #23 on: 25 November, 2012, 07:47:57 pm »
Uh Oh - thats not too promising. First puncture after 3 days commute. Will check where/how tomorrow.

Thorn through centre of tread. Only just got through, but it did.

« Reply #24 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:37:45 am »
Hmmn, think I will stick to Supremes, my commute leaves central Oxford through main street at 04-00, drunks from clubs with usual broken glass etc, I try to avoid stuff but inevitably especially on wet nights I go through some and the Supremes on the front seem to manage very well so far, ok only 3,500 to 4,000 wear rate but quite good think I   :)