Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428489 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1550 on: 04 August, 2019, 09:32:04 pm »
Following on from my last entry.   When I got back into my flat I just shoved my soaking gloves into my rackback & forgot about them.  Opened the rackbag up today (hunting for gloves), they appear to have acquired a certain odour  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1551 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:46:09 pm »
Accidentally threw my Ti spork in a bin. :'( :facepalm:

Disaster!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1552 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:48:17 pm »
Following on from my last entry.   When I got back into my flat I just shoved my soaking gloves into my rackback & forgot about them.  Opened the rackbag up today (hunting for gloves), they appear to have acquired a certain odour  :sick:

I took a pair of shoes up the Paps of Jura last week, it was so boggy that I left them on the bumper of my car for the next few days to dry out before I drove home.  12 hours of socks and shoes in my boot on Monday  :o
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1553 on: 07 August, 2019, 10:51:22 pm »
Plugged USB drive in (needs external power) to do backup. Fired up rsync pointed the correct folders on the PC to the correct folders on USB drive and let it run.

Stood up to go to bed, hit the light switch, which the extension cord/lead is connected to, which powers things like the table light, printer, monitor and the USB drive ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1554 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:20:56 am »
Walked out of the flat, closed the door & then realised my keys were on the kitchen table.
This is going to mean a visit to my family in the suburbs to pick up my spare set.  :facepalm:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1555 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:45:01 am »
You need a chain around your neck for your keys.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1556 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »
Refurbished kitchen 18 months ago at cost of huge.......Put hot pan on work top.......FFS.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1557 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:58:47 am »
Refurbished kitchen 18 months ago at cost of huge.......Put hot pan on work top.......FFS.
My wife has form for this, and we have a newish kitchen now.  My plan, for that eventuality, is to get a pre-cut piece of stainless steel, say 6mm thick, and then rout out the exact size over the burnt area.  Drop the stainless plate in on a bed of silicone and it'll look like it was always intended.  Could do it with a ceramic tile or 2. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1558 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:18:50 am »
We were very careful not to do that. However, our tea-making area is traversed by a joint where the worktop takes a 90°. Splashes eventually penetrated the joint and gee, swell.  We keep one of those daft glass chopping-boards over that bit now - the feet lift it clear of the embarrassing bit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #1559 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:43:50 am »
Wooden (solid oak) worktops keep a good record of kitchen accidents and other assorted incidents of culinary shame.

We did have them originally done with the Danish oil stuff which was a horrid colour and offered very little protection against spills. We had them sanded and redone earlier this year with a matt varnish which is a lot hardier unless the person who cleans your oven happens to drip oven cleaner on it and it gets left there for several days...

DivSpot: I have a new office chair in the Remote Command Centre which I opted not to purchase arms for, so I could scoot around more freely. In principle fine, though I attempted to lever myself up to get coffee earlier with those non-existing arms and fell flat on the floor next to my desk. At least only the cat was around to validate my wounded pride.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1560 on: 24 August, 2019, 11:09:47 am »
Rode my shopping 'bent into the village for minor supplies, successfully stopped and got off (an increasingly challenging task it seems - I'm sure that seat gets higher every month), then fell over the kerb outside the launderette.  Ow.  Minor scrapes but bike fine because it landed on top of me.

Feeling a bit wobbly now.

And a lady of a similar age came and asked if I was OK as I got up.  Oh, the shame.....

« Reply #1561 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:32:10 pm »
Just went to unlock the blue tourer & found I hadn't chained it up the last time I used it a week ago.   At least it proves that the landing outside my flat is rarely visited by bike thieves.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1562 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:42:48 pm »
Some months back I did a full-scale drawing of a zither I want to make on a sheet of 5mm ply, mainly to work out proportions and shapes, and possibly to use as a template. Then I reorganized the workshop and everything went on hold. This morning I went looking for my design. And looking. And looking...

« Reply #1563 on: 26 August, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
I have a suspicion I have posted a "forgot it is a Bank Holiday in England" story on this thread before...

« Reply #1564 on: 26 August, 2019, 04:50:29 pm »
I have a suspicion I have posted a "forgot it is a Bank Holiday in England" story on this thread before...

If I may channel Oscar Wilde, once may be regarded as a misfortune; twice looks like carelessness.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1565 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:34:06 pm »
30km from home on the 3rd day of the ride home from seeing my mum, I popped into a cafe in Twyford with my fully-loaded bike (front + rear panniers, tent, barbag)  in full view locked to a penny-farthing type bike stand at the crossroads.

Suitably refreshed, I unlocked my bike and made as if to leave, but the front wheel wouldn't turn. Eventually after much poking I find that the spring on the right-hand cantilever has broken, meaning that the left hand arm was pulling the right-hand brake block against the rim. I conclude that the only way to get home is to unhook the straddle-wire and ride home with only a rear bike. So that's what I did.

About 2 hours later I arrived home, and was unloading my bike when I realised that I only had one front pannier. Eventually I concluded that I must have the missing one off to get access to the brake, and completely forgotten about re-attaching it when setting off again. [How I didn't notice its absence while riding is still a mystery] So without further ado I jumped onto a different bike from my stable to retrace the 30km to Twyford in the hope that no-one had moved, stolen or taken the bag n for safe keeping. On the way I wondered if any of the public-spirited citizens of Twyford had reported a suspicious bag on the pavement at the traffic lights, and what conclusion anyone would come to if they examined the contents, the item at the top being a gas canister. I pictured the centre of Twyford condoned off and the bomb squad doing their thing just as I turned up.

Anyway, the faded Carradice was still there next to the bike stand when I arrived, so relieved I sat for a while on a bench, before repairing to the local Waitrose - in my haste I had forgotten food and water bottles (but had remembered lights and inner tubes but not a pump or a lock). On leaving the store I saw that the pannier was not on my bike - I hadn't bothered to attach it to the bike and must have left it on the bench at the crossroads (and it was still there - phew).

I got home without needing a pump and in full possession of my property if not my faculties (apparently). So it all turned out OK and I got to ride a bonus 60km.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1566 on: 29 August, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »
Take heart!  On our 1100 km Strasbourg-Brest Audax-style Diagonale in 2014 I left my wee backpack sitting on a bench at 24k in and didn't realize it until 56k.  Fortunately a chum had turned out to see us off, and he phoned his brother who turned out, found it, and brought it to me by car, so we only lost an hour and no km rather than three hours and 64 km. That was probably my divvest of moments.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1567 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:11:57 pm »
@Salvatore, you definitely deserve a badge, a cup of tea, a slice of cake, a beer and a sit down, in any order you like! Impressive that you managed to ride 2 hours without feeling lopsided steering from only one front pannier.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1568 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:26:07 pm »
A few weeks ago I did a ride to the Downs Link, to Brighton. I popped in to Aldi to get supplies first. Just as I reached the link (after 50 km from home) I reached around for my saddlebag (on the Bagman Sport with QR) to get some food, and it wasnt there. Retrace my steps up the hill, no sign of it.

Fuck, I must have left it at Aldi (6-7 km back). So I jump back on the bike and pedal as fast as I can, clocking 60 km/h down a hill at one point. Not there either. Nothing ultra important was in it (repairs, spares and food) but obviously it's got sentimental value and wasn't cheap so was getting very annoyed. Go back to the site of the hill just in case.... And there's a cyclist holding my Barley looking for somewhere to drop it off. I offer him some fruit cake and lots of thank yous but he was having none of it.

Essentially I had filled the saddlebag with stuff but not applied the quick release to secure it. It had stayed on the Bagman all the way from Aldi owing to the weight of its contents until I got to the off roady bit of the Downs Link where it had fallen off. What a palaver, at least 15 km of added huffing and puffing because I'd made a muddle.

Great ride down to Brighton though...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1569 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »
Today I decided go get new cartridge bearings for the fixer, as the existing ones in the rear wheel are shagged.

Being a smartarse, I rootled through my Great Tub of Fasteners (misc) as I was sure there was an old one in there that I could take with me to Bearings R Us to make sure I got the right size. Found it, stuffed it in my pocket, leapt on to the Pretty Bike and had a nice trundle of 10 miles to the bearing shop. The Nice Man sold me "four like that please" for a very reasonable sum and trundled back home.

Took the wheel off the fixer, drifted the old bearings out, offered up the new ones. Two hopes of them fitting as as you just can't get a 30mm diameter thing into a 26mm diameter hole.

Arse. Keen students will realise the old bearing I'd taken as a pattern was what we in the trade call "The Wrong Size". Still, it was a nice tie.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1570 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:10:15 am »
Hands full, tried to put out the light on the staircase by pushing my teacup against the switch. Light still on, streaks of tea down wallpaper. :facepalm:

« Reply #1571 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:13:19 am »
Blot it up with tissues and squeeze into cup.  It'll be a bit cooler but still drinkable......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1572 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:41:56 am »
Sounds good, but I mopped the top step with the same bit of kitchen roll. The top step where the dogs like to lie. Damn, two dividities in a row. Any more & I can try for a doctorate.

« Reply #1573 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:48:34 am »
Ha!  Don't know about kitchen roll but you used to be able to help yourself to any number of degrees in the toilets at university!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1574 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:02:32 pm »
Maybe that's where Melania got the one she mentioned on her Einstein Visa application.

Our uni toilets had hard shiny paper stamped "Property of H.M.Government" and the holders were big stainless steel efforts branded "Dreadnought Thiefproof".