Author Topic: [HAMR] Into the unknown  (Read 4654 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
[HAMR] Into the unknown
« on: 24 January, 2015, 10:57:25 pm »
After 24 days of this totally absorbing battle, about 6.6% into the year, it's impossible to tell how each rider is doing. Clearly Tarzan is capable of riding huge distances, as is Steve. At the moment Steve is restricted by the weather and the short daylight hours, but in a couple of months we will be past the equinox and his daily output will increase. As he said, he will start attacking Tarzan.

Both are obviously very determined and for Tarzan to maintain his advantage he will have to be able to respond to Steve's challenge. I honestly believe that one of them will "blow up" physically as the daily average approaches, and exceeds, 250 miles. It's almost unimaginable that they will both be able to churn that sort of distance, day in, day out, for about 120 days, without some sort of physical problem. If I'm right, it will be vital that the one still riding has enough in reserve to keep ahead of Tommy, as well as the other. If I'm wrong, and both keep at it for the duration, I reckon that the target distance will exceed 90,000 miles.

I know buggerall about enormous tests of physical and mental* endurance. Are there any precedents which come close to what we are witnessing here?

*The 48-game Karpov v Kasparov World Chess Championship Final apart, for the mental side. The rule was the first to 6 wins, draws not counting. Karpov went 5 - 0 up but then there were many draws. The match was controversially abandoned just as Karpov was beginning to crack - Kasparov won games 47 & 48 to bring the score back to 5 - 3. Karpov, the Soviet Golden Boy, had lost two stone in weight during the match, and there wasn't a great deal of him in the first place.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Into the unknown
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2015, 11:09:52 pm »
I can't think of anything to match this sort of effort.
It is the shear length of the challenge that is the daunting thing. The mental strength has to huge just to force yourself to get back on the bike every day.
To stay injury free is a big ask.
Good luck to both of them and huge respect!

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2015, 11:19:14 pm »

I know buggerall about enormous tests of physical and mental endurance. Are there any precedents which come close to what we are witnessing here?

I'd be pleased to be proven wrong - but I'm not sure there are.

Well, apart from non-competitive things such as the performance artist someone mentioned in a different thread - there are certainly extreme endurance races, but even they tend to be things like RAAM, which is about speed and intensity over a relatively short period.

I reckon TG will push the target close enough to 100,000 miles in the year that someone will consider that a target in future.

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2015, 11:22:33 pm »
I know buggerall about enormous tests of physical and mental endurance. Are there any precedents which come close to what we are witnessing here?

I suspect that the closest precedents will be in entirely different fields, like solo RTW yachting or (Ant)Arctic exploration. Sleep deprivation, continuous (though not necessarily heavy) physical demands, curious nutritional requirements ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:41:39 am »
yeah,  the wildernesses (cold or wet kind) seem to be the main venue for this madness. Big unsupported climbs of things like Everest too; they can take weeks.

One of the guys who did a solo sled-drag in a polar region lived off a nose-bag of dried fruit,  sausage and chocolate pieces!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:45:37 am »
Notwithstanding the result, what about Scott -v- Amundsen "race" to the South Pole?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:54:05 am »
Well, one of those parties certainly "blew up" physically.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:18:31 pm »

I know buggerall about enormous tests of physical and mental* endurance. Are there any precedents which come close to what we are witnessing here?

Godwin v Bennett?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:50:19 pm »
Knox-Johnston vs Moitessier (and others)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2015, 12:51:21 pm »
Take a look at some of the feats of this man.....Possibly the greatest alpinist ever, particularly his solo ascent of the NE ridge of Everest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:43:40 pm »
Take a look at some of the feats of this man.....Possibly the greatest alpinist ever, particularly his solo ascent of the NE ridge of Everest.

Greatest climber who ever lived lives. The first (and only) man to climb all 14 8000 metre peaks without using suplemental oxygen.

rr

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

Greatest climber how ever lived lives. The first (and only) man to climb all 14 8000 metre peaks without using suplemental oxygen.

Yes great in many ways but not 365 days continuous effort without a meaningful break.

It is the everyday, unremitting nature on the challenge that puts it so far out there.

« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »

Greatest climber how ever lived lives. The first (and only) man to climb all 14 8000 metre peaks without using suplemental oxygen.

I agree.

Yes great in many ways but not 365 days continuous effort without a meaningful break.

It is the everyday, unremitting nature on the challenge that puts it so far out there.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:10:19 pm »

I went out this morning with chums. It was 7am and even on the south coast, it was dry but around 0 degrees with plenty of ice making traction an act of faith at times.  I was on a short leash and had to be back by 9:45 and an on arriving home realised my feet were completely frozen.  During the ride, I was shocked that I had to use gears where I don't normally have to and put that down to being half a stone heavier than I was in the summer. Whilst this might be partly the cause, the more likely reason is this: it was bloody cold.

In comparison, Steve managing to go out, day after day, for +14hours at a time on the road, at a time of year where sub-zero temperatures are common, is pretty awe-inspiring.

H

« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:36:47 pm »

I went out this morning with chums. It was 7am and even on the south coast, it was dry but around 0 degrees with plenty of ice making traction an act of faith at times.  I was on a short leash and had to be back by 9:45 and an on arriving home realised my feet were completely frozen.  During the ride, I was shocked that I had to use gears where I don't normally have to and put that down to being half a stone heavier than I was in the summer. Whilst this might be partly the cause, the more likely reason is this: it was bloody cold.

In comparison, Steve managing to go out, day after day, for +14hours at a time on the road, at a time of year where sub-zero temperatures are common, is pretty awe-inspiring.

H

This lady is the only person I know about who has endured the most horrendous conditions continually for more than 365 days.  Her book is one of the most inspirational I have ever read.  She survived through luck, kindness, but mostly her own amazing drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Swale-Pope

Her book is called "Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes"

Although the conditions she encountered on her round-the-world-run were way harsher than riding in the UK in winter (she ran, with only her own bivvy kit and belongings, through the darkness of -50 degree winters in Siberia and Alaska), she didn't have the direct competition that Steve does with Tarzan. She did, also, have a few breaks, but in 5 years, they were a miniscule part of an amazing feat. 

I think that the modern competition, as well as the obvious target to beat the Tommy Godwin 'unbreakable' record, must be such a huge pressure.  Steve is so down to earth though, if anyone can ignore the external 'can't controls' and keep his head down working in a miserable and cold UK winter, Steve can  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:40:22 pm »
This lady is ...

When I started reading your post I thought you were referring to Hummers  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
<...>
I reckon TG will push the target close enough to 100,000 miles in the year that someone will consider that a target in future.

i did think about this as it would make a nice round number, but didn't dare to write here. this would mean he has to add another 35miles (over 2hrs) to his already stretched schedule every day! if all goes well, 100k miles in 400 days is entirely possible sticking to current plan. i've only ridden about half of that in my entire "cycling" career.. ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:45:40 pm »
I don't think Steve will get very close to 100,000 in a year. At the moment, he is gaining on Tommy to the tune of a day a week (about). That rate of gain will reduce significantly in March, when Tommy started racking up big miles as the weather warmed up. Steve won't be able to ride many hours more than Tommy through summer (sleep deprivation) and will only be able to gain on him by riding faster. Steve is a little quicker than Tommy (according to 24hr results) but not by much.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »

I think that the modern competition, as well as the obvious target to beat the Tommy Godwin 'unbreakable' record, must be such a huge pressure.  Steve is so down to earth though, if anyone can ignore the external 'can't controls' and keep his head down working in a miserable and cold UK winter, Steve can  :thumbsup:

Indeed. Let me tell you a story....

In September 2009 I was part of a group assault on the Brimstone with Matt Haigh and a couple of Wessex veterans for company made up of Ian H and Mr Abraham. Steve (on fixed - of course), Postie and I had already done the Porkers (400k) earlier in the year and this had been a fine outing and one of the best 400s I have done. Both the Porkers and Brimstone were only available as Perms back then and this version of the infamous 600 was not quite as tough as the current Hellfire route however there are no friendly halls or homes with a long night section of 136km with nothing at all.   Despite this, we were all happily trundling along however on the lumpy section to Exmouth, Mr A started to trail the pack by some way and slipped away from us with a heroic "Carry on without me chaps. I will get a train back to Milton Keynes".

Now for most people, that would have been the end of their ride but imagine our surprise when Steve turned up around 200km later just as we were leaving the Summer Cafe at Malmesbury and by Nunney Catch, arrived within 5 minutes of us, downed a litre of milk and set off as if he was had just started the ride. I tried to keep up with him for the last section but was aware that we were pulling away from the other two and leaving them behind. Steve explained he had to put the hammer down to catch the train from Poole......back to Milton Keynes.

Some 200 miles later Steve had found his form again: at the point where most of the group were at the end of theirs and beyond the point where many cyclists would have abandoned.

H

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:25:34 pm »
This lady is the only person I know about who has endured the most horrendous conditions continually for more than 365 days.  Her book is one of the most inspirational I have ever read.  She survived through luck, kindness, but mostly her own amazing drive

Her book is called "Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes"
A bit OT - not sure if this is the same woman?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Cape-Horn-Rosie-Swale/dp/0236177133
Rosie and Colin Swale were the first people to sail around Cape Horn in a catamaran in 1973. "Children of the Horn" by Rosie Swale is the fascinating story of their journey. Rosie's powerful account is so exciting I could not put the book down. Their 18-month voyage started on December 1971 in Gibraltar, Spain in Anneliese, their 30-ft catamaran, with their two-year-old daughter and six-month-old son and ended in Plymouth England in July 1973.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2015, 12:04:26 am »
I don't think Steve will get very close to 100,000 in a year. At the moment, he is gaining on Tommy to the tune of a day a week (about). That rate of gain will reduce significantly in March, when Tommy started racking up big miles as the weather warmed up. Steve won't be able to ride many hours more than Tommy through summer (sleep deprivation) and will only be able to gain on him by riding faster. Steve is a little quicker than Tommy (according to 24hr results) but not by much.

I don't think he will either. But if he gets over 80,000 miles, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone aim at 100,000.

I was thinking that records tend to fall in clusters, so the reignited interest in this might tempt someone to really push it out.

« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »

There is a Brit - Kevin Carr - right now running round the world at around 40km/day, he's been going non-stop for 546 days, and likley to finish around April this year, I crossed paths with him in NZ last July, like our Steve he is also a very quiet and modest chap, blog at http://hardwayround.com/ I considered re-naming my blog easywayround