Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan's broken kit  (Read 5845 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
[HAMR] Tarzan's broken kit
« on: 30 January, 2015, 01:42:00 am »
Kurt is hell of an athlete, but his bikes seem to protest the beating!

?? Jan: 3 flat tyres in one day
?? Jan: Rear derailleur
?? Jan: Aerobar elbow rest
29 Jan: Rear triangle snapped on Giant carbon bike (video)

Post more below and I'll try and update this post

Re: Tarzan's broken kit
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:21:37 am »
Hasn't he also snapped a steerer? On the TT bike?

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:33:19 am »
Steerer and arm rest.

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2015, 04:24:19 am »
Steerer and arm rest.

Steerer and armrest on his Cervelo
Frame on his Giant. - On the FB vid he says that the crack is a previous mend that re-broke.(Tried to copy link but don't know how to).
The Recumbent is his only functioning bike atm but hes going to get more bikes.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:20:33 am »
These failures seem to suggest that the failed items are (in the majority of cases) related to previously used kit. Who hasn't started the year with stuff that has served you perfectly for previous seasons mysteriously going ping in the current one (especially after Christmas  :facepalm:)

On the flip side, a good idea to have three completely new bikes to start the challenge with. 

:thumbsup:

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:29:21 am »
It does suggest that he has come into this rather under-prepared.

Does anyone know if Tarzan decided to take part in this of his own volition, or did the UMCA suggest that he did it? He's got that endorsement on his website from one Douglas Hoffman, UMCA Exec Director. Is that the same chap who was brought in after Steve appeared in the same photograph as a bottle of wine? ISTR that he was called Doug.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:36:48 am »
He has had a lot of problems but there are some explanations:
- As Hummers says, it was on already well-used kit. 
- The problems on his Giant sound like they are both related to a previous repair which has failed. 
- I don't know what tyres he is using but I expect he has gone for speed not puncture resistance
- He  has put a lot of miles on kit which is not usually ridden that much.  I would bet that very few Cervelo TT bikes would reach 1000 miles per year.  Most would not get to 500.  It doesn't mean their parts shouldn't last much longer, just that he is in fairly uncharted territory for that equipment. 

hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:37:51 am »
Maybe we could link him in with Georgie Berwick, and start crowd funding some empty coke cans, lollipop sticks and cable ties.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:03:03 am »
Telling comment on the video from Jane (Alicia):

"I think we need a bike sponsor"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:37:08 am »
On the flip side, a good idea to have three completely new bikes to start the challenge with. 

:thumbsup:

H

Heh, indeed  :smug:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:45:08 am »
I think Kurt’s speed must be a factor too. Ramps, bumps and general road vibration would cause a lot more stress on his bike compared to Steve’s measured riding style, even if there is only a handful of mph difference in the averages. There’s also less time to avoid road hazards.

It’s impressive how, no matter what, he keeps banging out 200 mile days.

« Reply #11 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:10:40 am »
I think we all know fellow cyclists who are destructive and those who have an empathy with their bikes.   Size and strength seem to have little to do with it IME.  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:26:05 am »
I think we all know fellow cyclists who are destructive and those who have an empathy with their bikes.   Size and strength seem to have little to do with it IME.  ;)

Having heard about kit Giraffe OTP has wrecked, I disagree. Giraffe is long and strong but not heavy. I think long levers exert more leverage...

« Reply #13 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
You haven't met mllePB yet then.   :P

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:36:22 am »

Does anyone know if Tarzan decided to take part in this of his own volition, or did the UMCA suggest that he did it? He's got that endorsement on his website from one Douglas Hoffman, UMCA Exec Director. Is that the same chap who was brought in after Steve appeared in the same photograph as a bottle of wine? ISTR that he was called Doug.

I love this.

The potential for intrigue and Cunning Stunts at every turn of events  ;D

H

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #15 on: 30 January, 2015, 12:00:28 pm »

H

Is that a spoonerism ??
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Hummers

« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2015, 12:11:07 pm »

H

Is that a spoonerism ??

No reference to Salvatore intended.

H

« Reply #17 on: 30 January, 2015, 12:56:09 pm »
You must be talking about me then, or Lunar Spite*, as you called me when you met me for the first time.

* Or it could have been 'Spooner Lite'.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:05:37 pm »

I love this.

H

Oh, absolutely it's what forums are made for - but background information like this does help to piece together Tarzan's decision to commence a record attempt precisely when he did. Wait for a bus for three-quarters of a century and then three come at once. Was he involved with the formulation of the rules? Clearly, he and Steve were in email contact with one another before the end of last year so there is some back story, but how much?

The front page of his website makes interesting reading:

At some point in your life you will be challenged to do something that at first glance appears to be completely unattainable.  I have had these challenges come up over the years and with the planning, perseverance and the support of my family, friends and the universe  I have been able to achieve everything I have set out to do.  Now I have been presented with my ultimate challenge: to cycle more than 75,000 miles in 1 year (that is more than 3 times around the world, 25 times across the U.S)  or simply 206 miles per day.

My bold.

It doesn't seem to me that a lot of planning has gone into this. His bikes keep breaking and his support team, 3 weeks into the event, talks about "getting a bike sponsor". That seems out of character for someone who has achieved as much in cycling as Tarzan has.

That challenge has been there all of Tarzan's cycling life. It hasn't just appeared "at some point".

Also, "Now I have been presented with..." uses the passive voice. Compared to Steve's "I've been aware of this record for 25 years and it has frightened me...".

It would explain a lot if the UMCA, having taken the event under their wing, wanted one of their own to be the record breaker. They would look for a mileage monster and they can't have many better people than Tarzan for this job.

It's all vitally important information for the film when it comes out.  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »

Having heard about kit Giraffe OTP has wrecked, I disagree. Giraffe is long and strong but not heavy. I think long levers exert more leverage...

I think you're both right.  Long levers are always a problem, and some people just lack mechanical sympathy (which is as much about early diagnosis of problems as it is about mindlessly destroying things).  But there's also components that are underengineered for the task in hand, and just plain bad luck.

Tarzan's approach was always going to be harder on kit than Teethgrinder's.  With a support vehicle, he can afford a few catastrophic failures.  The question is how that plays out in the long term.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:27:17 pm »
Must be all that strenuous climbing he's doing.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:33:27 pm »
Raleigh USA do the ideal bike. It's got the same name as the one Tommy Godwin rode, reasonably good spec as standard. http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road-endurance-record-ace It's got mudguard clearance, and would make a good choice for PBP, so no harm in getting it noticed.

Chris Hopkinson, Steve's crew boss, is well known in the UMCA. He was the first Brit to finish RAAM, and has won many other UMCA honours.
http://arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/history/story/chris-hopkinson-umca-24hr-champion#.VMuGT1p3Zz8

He's off to Sebring in a couple of weeks, where he's aiming to go over 500 miles in 24 hours.

Steve's ridden Boston Montreal Boston, and has expressed an interest in riding RAAM. Talking up some sort of transatlantic rivalry might make a good story, but the endurance cycling scene is international.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »
Kurt has got six bikes iirc, so i wouldn't say he's underprepared. he's got fitness, mindset and support team for the job. i'm sure he wasn't looking up to Tommy as his idol the same way Steve did, but when the opportunity came he decided to grasp it (the same way when i saw the transcontinental organised for the first time i knew it was my kind of challenge and signed up straight away). now that this one year time trial is publicised so well i'm certain we won't need to wait another 75 years for the next attempt.

paul851

« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »
According to Kurt's blog he was involved in discussion of the rules but originally felt he couldn't work with what was being proposed so walked away.

Paul

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 30 January, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
Interesting, thanks.

*wanders off for a long read of Tarzan's blog*