Author Topic: [HAMR] Tommy's equipment  (Read 1689 times)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
[HAMR] Tommy's equipment
« on: 14 February, 2015, 06:44:12 pm »
In Kurt's latest video feed where Chris Hopkinson was asked what he thought might be
the biggest obstacles for Kurt and Steve his answer was mechanical issues. These days
there are lots of bike shops, online shops and ways to quickly get a bike fixed. How did
Tommy deal with that in 1939? Were the simpler bikes so much more sturdy this was
much less an issue? Or did he have good bike mechanic support keeping his bike in perfect
shape day by day?

Re: Tommy's equipment
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2015, 06:55:26 pm »
I would imagine there were probably more bike shops and places to get your bike fixed in 1939 than there are now! Most bike shops these days are just BSO pushers and couldn't fix much more than a p*ncture...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2015, 06:57:50 pm »
Tommy was sponsored by a local bike shop for the first part of his year, but they struggled to cope so Raleigh became his sponsors.  IIRC they variously had trains of pacers and follow cars, so I doubt he had a problem with mechanical support.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2015, 07:10:52 pm »
Tommy was sponsored by a local bike shop for the first part of his year, but they struggled to cope so Raleigh became his sponsors.  IIRC they variously had trains of pacers and follow cars, so I doubt he had a problem with mechanical support.

That makes Steve's approach even more impressive. In Steve's core team there doesn't seem to be a
"Chief Mechanical Officer" type of person responsible of making sure his bikes and other equipment are
in top shape at the start of every day. So it seems to be kind of left to Steve to keep track of state of
the bikes.

« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2015, 07:29:01 pm »
I understand (from Steves Facebook page) that LBS 'Stripes' are sponsoring Steve and have just given Steve's red bike it's 5600 mile service.  :thumbsup:

I think that back in the '30s there was more standardisation of components. When I restored my 1937 Raleigh tandem, it was easier to get spare bearings, chain etc, than to get parts for my 3 year old MTB.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2015, 01:49:37 pm »
Stripes is my LBS - not a bad wee shop. Their workshop is run by John Poyzer, who knows more than a thing or two about bike fixing, I guess!

Robert

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2015, 09:24:13 am »
Modern bike shops also don't hold a lot of stock in spare parts. Parts are ordered when needed because to hold enough spares for the plethora of different standards and designs would cost a small independent shop an absolute fortune for items that might never be purchased.

With fewer different standards in Tommy's day he could have ridden into my LBS (which was on the same street it is today) and had something fixed from stocked parts or a little ingenuity. If he were to do the same today he would more likely get the answer 'I'll get one in for you by early next week'.

Repair these days consists of replacing a broken part. Back then it would have been fixing said broken part.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped