Author Topic: PBP - best start time for a (relatively quick) 1st timer?  (Read 1303 times)

PBP - best start time for a (relatively quick) 1st timer?
« on: 03 May, 2015, 09:58:20 pm »
I'm hoping to get through the Llanfair 400 and 3 Coasts 600 qualifiers.

Having an early pre-registration I'm now wondering about the best hourly time to go for.

The 200 (Red Rose Ride) wasn't a guide as I broke a front wheel and spent 60k wobbling along slowly until fixed.

My 300 (Skeggy) was done in just over 12 hours, but the last 100k was hanging on the back of a quick group.

In terms of times I'd prefer to start on the Sunday, which seems to be 80 hours, rather than the Monday.

Any thoughts?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: PBP - best start time for a (relatively quick) 1st timer?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2015, 10:00:26 pm »
Sunday is 80 hr or 90 hr limit, Monday is 84hr limit. As a faster rider, you could ride any of them within the time limit. Have a look at some other PBP threads for pluses and minuses of each.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2015, 10:29:38 pm »
Some otherwise competent riders have failed on PBP through silly, panic-induced mistakes.  Hence the advice to a first-timer to go for the 90hr start.  If you don't panic then 84 might be okay, even 80.  The 80hr start can put a bit of pressure on because the faster riders disappear up the road fairly quickly.  I rode the 80hr last time and finished in 72, which is not that quick, but comfortably inside the limit.

On the other hand, if you're faster than average you could start in the 90hr group and get ahead of the bulge to finish in a respectable time.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:23:53 pm »
Some otherwise competent riders have failed on PBP through silly, panic-induced mistakes.  Hence the advice to a first-timer to go for the 90hr start.  If you don't panic then 84 might be okay, even 80.  The 80hr start can put a bit of pressure on because the faster riders disappear up the road fairly quickly.  I rode the 80hr last time and finished in 72, which is not that quick, but comfortably inside the limit.

On the other hand, if you're faster than average you could start in the 90hr group and get ahead of the bulge to finish in a respectable time.

Sound advice.

The difference between the 80hr and 90hr start is noticeable up until halfway to Brest - then it quietens down.

H

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »
Also ask yourself whether you'd prefer an evening or a morning start.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »
I've only done the 90h start

If you try and have a kip before the start it's not difficult to ride through the first night
Then aim to have a short kip in the afternoon sun and get as far as you can second night

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2015, 09:02:17 am »
Some analysis of the number of 90 hour starters who finish in under 70 hours might be interesting. Not %age, but numbers. In 1999 I was fairly fit, and was picking up 80 hour riders around Tinteniac.

I think it's a good idea to be just behind the motorbike when you are let go at 25km. So when you fail to stick with the fastest group, you can drop back to form an alliance with riders who match your pace. If you're not familiar with mass starts, that's going to more difficult in the 80 hour start, as everyone is wanting to do the same thing.

My strategy is based on not being able to climb as well as the average rider of my likely finishing time. I have to accept that I will lose any group I'm with in the early sections on the hills, so I want a lot of riders behind me to spur me on.

Once you are off the back of the group you started with, you have a long wait for riders of your speed to appear. All the earliest riders passing you will be too fast to hold onto, so you might as well be on your own.

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:19:11 pm »
See http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/BROCHURE-GB.pdf
Page 42 shows for times for 400 and 600km qualifiers with % of riders in compleating the 2011 ride in <60 hours, 60-70 hours and 70-80 hours  etc
Page 43 has good advice. Also see pages 32 -33 for other stats