Author Topic: [HAMR] “The Year” book and the year century challenge  (Read 2586 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
[HAMR] “The Year” book and the year century challenge
« on: 30 October, 2015, 09:20:46 am »
I’m still avidly following the activities of Steve and Kurt. The new book, The Year, brilliantly describes the fascinating story of the whole history of the Year record inspiring an even greater interest.

I would love to see the 1911 Cycling magazine Century challenge which kicked it all off, resurrected for 2016 onwards.
This could be easily set up by Strava maybe, leaving another legacy to Teethgrinder and his rekindling of the worlds interest in the record.

For the uninitiated, basically you gain 1 point for every Imperial Century of miles ridden in a calendar day, multiple rides allowed. Do 200 miles, 2 points. Points are totalized for the Year.

A challenge that us mere mortals could actively engage in, comparing against friends, clubs and countries. Initially you’d expect Steve and new challenger Bruce to top the charts in 2016, and not forgetting the lady record challenger, but I could see this becoming a great future contest.
Personally, Steve and “The Year” has inspired me to go for a ton of tons in 2016.  :-\

If anyone is bored I wonder what the count for Steve and Kurt is for 2015 compared to Tommy G. It’s also quite a feat that Ossie Nicholson I believe still holds the record for the most (known) consecutive centuries.

Re: “The Year” book and the year century challenge
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:42:25 pm »
The Year book is fascinating and I am currently engrossed! Thanks Dave.

Whilst I am all for such century challenges, isn't that what Audax is all about, except in km?

A 'standard' ride being 200km or 125ish miles. Or multiples thereof.

I think the biggest challenge is getting some people to believe they can do 100miles/200km. It's not that difficult, the challenge is mentally believing you can attain that and more.

I am sure I am preaching to the converted here though...

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
I'd like to see such a competition run and engage the wider cycling public beyond Audax as the 1911 competition did. As shreds said, it would encourage people to do multiple centuries who maybe think they are beyond them (my wife could not contemplate a 100 till I conned her into the Dunwich Dynamo). The Century Road Club was set up to do exactly this, but AFAICT does little to promote centuries to a wider audience. We could crowdsource a nice gold medal as well for the winner. It was a personal highlight to hold the medal Marcel won in my own hands.

hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:01:53 pm »
I suppose the difference is that AUK is largely concerned with "subject to riding an average speed of at least 15kph and no more than 30kph" and other requirements (some by rules, some by convention). 

Whereas a more general challenge would simply be "do the distance".

I think it is something that would work on Strava.  But would become very complicated if it was done on anything other than an "honour" system.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »
I'd like to see such a competition run and engage the wider cycling public beyond Audax as the 1911 competition did. As shreds said, it would encourage people to do multiple centuries who maybe think they are beyond them (my wife could not contemplate a 100 till I conned her into the Dunwich Dynamo). The Century Road Club was set up to do exactly this, but AFAICT does little to promote centuries to a wider audience. We could crowdsource a nice gold medal as well for the winner. It was a personal highlight to hold the medal Marcel won in my own hands.

It was also interesting to hear how keen riders were to complete 20 to get their certificate too.

I got in touch with Ben at Veloviewer about the potential for this, as he has set up similar challenge based around the spring classics, and does great things with the data. He was keen but said strava had actually warned him off running his/velobici clothing contest because they said it clashed with their own.

For it to work it has to be simple, as the original. All on honour with achievement being the main prize. Strava have been approached down 3 separate channels, don't really expect a reply though.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:38:52 pm »
Personally, Steve and “The Year” has inspired me to go for a ton of tons in 2016.  :-\

Excellent plan Burlycross - exactly what Steve inspired in me for this year.  Completed two weeks ago and a massive sense  of achievement. The last century being celebrated in the company of several clubmates.

As you say, it would be good to have some serious challenges on Strava  - I guess that's what Audax is for though..

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »

Excellent plan Burlycross - exactly what Steve inspired in me for this year.  Completed two weeks ago and a massive sense  of achievement. The last century being celebrated in the company of several clubmates.

As you say, it would be good to have some serious challenges on Strava  - I guess that's what Audax is for though..

wow congratulations, and nice way to celebrate. But Audax without the paperwork, or potential ride failures, although many Audax's will be included.

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »
Suddenly I know what to do with my 50th year next year ;-)

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »
Suddenly I know what to do with my 50th year next year ;-)

Yes, it was my 50th year too, must be something in the water. Originally set a target to do 50 centuries, but two weeks into the year, knew that was going to be too easy so upgraded. Another attempt in another 50 years?

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2015, 10:50:01 pm »
Had to give up audaxes when my riding speed became too slow to permit any cafe stops. Could I do a 100 miles without the time pressure - an interesting possibility.

On birthdays I used to to ride a mile for every year but it's now a kilometre.  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2015, 06:39:03 am »
I have just ordered my copy of the book. Must think about a few longer rides. I think I will start with some shorter ones!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
Who is the author of the new book (The Year)? Does anybody have a link?

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo

red marley

« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2015, 05:00:57 pm »
He is also 'CitizenFish' on this forum and posts here quite regularly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2015, 05:42:36 pm »
"The Year" arrived today. It was the same delivery as my new Garmin. Is that telling me something? Should I make an attempt at the Over 60 category when I eventually give up work?  ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
Retire early as you have something more pressing requiring your full attention  8)

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #16 on: 17 November, 2015, 11:26:37 am »
In for a penny. ::-) hoping I won't regret this.
An attempt to get this rolling for 2016. Any interested Strava user's please join the club if you wish to partake; https://www.strava.com/clubs/centurychallenge

And please spread the work to any clubs you belong to, challenge your friends and club mates.
Some further information here, which could be fine tuned before the start:
http://bluedotriders.com/ycc/

Thanks to CitizenFish for his generous offer.
Looking forward to Steve leading the way early (if he signs up)
Apologies if this is the wrong section of YACF to place this, please advise if it should go in another section.

« Reply #17 on: 17 November, 2015, 12:56:06 pm »
Well, Kajsa Tylen ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34638370 ) did challenge me to do something for next year, so this would appear to be the opportunity to get back and do some serious mileage after a long lay off. ;)

So for better or for worse I have signed up.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #18 on: 17 November, 2015, 01:10:52 pm »
Well, Kajsa Tylen ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-34638370 ) did challenge me to do something for next year, so this would appear to be the opportunity to get back and do some serious mileage after a long lay off. ;)

So for better or for worse I have signed up.

Yes I was going to sign up to her pledge board too similarly

« Reply #19 on: 17 November, 2015, 01:13:10 pm »
I have signed up too, despite having completed the challenge this year already. It certainly would have been nice to have participated with others. From my 2015 experience, like the OYTT, consistency throughout the year is all important. Not sure yet if I wish to repeat it, but it might be fun.