Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 217047 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #1050 on: 08 July, 2023, 11:50:41 pm »
Approaching midnight last night, leaving Bishops Stortford in the car.  I come up behind a cyclist with a single led rear light, dark clothing , no reflectors, really wasn’t enough to ensure he was seen on the unlit road.  Prepare to pull around him when I spot movement on the other side of the road.  Cyclist totally sans lights of any kind heading towards me.  When I finally pass cyclist one, I look in the rear view mirror, no front light at all.  I don’t understand why they risk it when perfectly good lights can be had for less than a tenner.

« Reply #1051 on: 09 July, 2023, 11:43:24 pm »
"I don't need light because I don't ride at night" + "oops is that the time?".
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1052 on: 09 July, 2023, 11:52:17 pm »
They don't need lights the same way they don't need luggage or chain lube.

« Reply #1053 on: 15 July, 2023, 07:58:25 am »
Ah the young lad cycling along the path on his phone paying about zero attentions to what's in front of him. Due to him being fairly young. Probably 12/13 didn't get the usual fog horn oi to start with, I decided to just move onto grass as runnpast (we were heading towards each other) but then he veered toward me. He nearly fell off when I gave an oi watch out

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1054 on: 17 July, 2023, 02:38:33 pm »
Yes, the big red lorry went through a red light, because it was a fire engine with its blinkenlights and woowoo going.  You, however, are riding a Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle with neither woowoo nor blinkenlights, which means you stop.  So I'm sorry if you had to stop suddenly for my Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle going through a green light, but, no, actually I'm not even a little bit sorry.

Dick.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1055 on: 17 July, 2023, 04:24:20 pm »
Yes, the big red lorry went through a red light, because it was a fire engine with its blinkenlights and woowoo going.  You, however, are riding a Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle with neither woowoo nor blinkenlights, which means you stop.  So I'm sorry if you had to stop suddenly for my Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle going through a green light, but, no, actually I'm not even a little bit sorry.

Dick.
You've made a mistake there. It's clear that only one of the Mountain Bicycles belonged to a Perfectly Good Gentleman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1056 on: 18 July, 2023, 01:04:07 pm »

Dick.
You've made a mistake there. It's clear that only one of the Mountain Bicycles belonged to a Perfectly Good Gentleman.

Maybe the bike is suitable to be a pggmb but alas its being ridden by a imperfect gentleman or indeed a ruffian

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1058 on: 23 July, 2023, 08:25:42 am »
Ah young lad out on his bike yesterday morning. He passed me just as started to run up the ramp of a railway bridge. See him dragging feet on way down other side and realised one brake didn't seem to be connected and one lever was blocked by item of optional cycling headwear which can't be named for fear if this getting moved

« Reply #1059 on: 12 August, 2023, 08:41:53 pm »
Crossing the road at Stratford today with multiple litte'uns in buggies and under tow, we wait for the crossing and are about to cross when three (count 'em) cycle riders blast past inches from us. I let fly with a VERY LOUD vocal assessment of these folk. "What did you call them, grandad?" Thomas, I called them lost souls. LOST souls. They made some wrong choices in life, so I called them lost souls.

I think I deserve some points for thinking on my feet?

« Reply #1060 on: 09 September, 2023, 02:41:50 pm »
It's luverly here in Ostend. It's hotter than a hot place. The promenade is packed with strolling families, grannies on omafiets, and grandads on e-omas. Old ladies have got their slowly melting handbag-dogs tucked under their ample bosoms, and everyone is gently rubbing along (not literally - too hot for any of that) nicely.
So my European DOTD goes to the cycle club in matching strip who decided to try to blast through the lot of us, at silly kph.
I think one of the riders may have had a bit of a flemish dressing down from a flamard-with-tattoos. Good.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1061 on: 09 September, 2023, 06:13:41 pm »
me, today. I misjudged the bike handling skills of an oncoming cycle on a narrow path and should've slowed more, she caught herself, both feet down "SHIT!"

no harm, no foul but I could've been better.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1062 on: 21 September, 2023, 02:10:11 am »
In some remote parts of USAnia cyclists are permitted to ride on the shoulder of Interstate highways.  Oregon's Willamette Valley is nowhere near remote enough.  So what the muddy flip was that chap doing not only on the northbound side of I-5 near Salem but actually on the central reservation, or "median" as the natives call it ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1063 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:09:27 pm »
Riding home with rabble earlier, we use a wide quiet path instead of a busy road for a couple of hundred metres to make the ride much more pleasant

Cross over crossing onto said path and suddenly notice a young lad on a bike right behind me. I said sorry as thought I'd just missed him watching kids across the road. He then shot off on his ebike and forced past my wife and kids before nearly crashing shooting across a road.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #1064 on: 13 October, 2023, 02:42:57 pm »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bus-lane-trap-st-ives-cambridgeshire-b2429308.html

"Furious motorists complain their cars are being wrecked by bus lane ‘trap’". It's been there 12 years and is a well-signed big FO hole in the road. DOTDs, all of them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1065 on: 13 October, 2023, 02:55:36 pm »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bus-lane-trap-st-ives-cambridgeshire-b2429308.html

"Furious motorists complain their cars are being wrecked by bus lane ‘trap’". It's been there 12 years and is a well-signed big FO hole in the road. DOTDs, all of them.

Absolutely!

I had a great one yesterday...

An Audi 4Xwankpanzer came zooming up behind me, tailgating before overtaking at well over the speed limit.  Did the same to the car in front of me but, as he tried to overtake, on went blue lights and a siren.  As I passed them a short while later a uniformed police occifer was climbing out of the unmarked car and walking back to the Audi.

Instant carma!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1066 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:09:27 pm »

Absolutely!

An Audi 4Xwankpanzer came zooming up behind me, tailgating before overtaking at well over the speed limit.  Did the same to the car in front of me but, as he tried to overtake, on went blue lights and a siren.  As I passed them a short while later a uniformed police occifer was climbing out of the unmarked car and walking back to the Audi.

Wrong thread!!!

But I'll overlook that because your story made me smile.  :D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1067 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:21:27 pm »

Absolutely!

Wrong thread!!!

Not the wrong thread...  the driver was being a dick.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1068 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:22:20 pm »

I find it amusing, and I think most other locals agree.  But if you're used to ignoring signs and getting away with it then maybe it does make you 'furious'.   ;D

The second pic in the article shows one who's gone through the junction down the right hand side of the road too.  I'm sure they had an innocent explanation for that also.

I guess you could have a number plate camera there instead, but I'm sure some people would then complain it was a trick to get money from hard working motorists.  I think it's more entertaining this way.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1069 on: 13 October, 2023, 03:23:14 pm »

Absolutely!

Wrong thread!!!

Not the wrong thread...  the driver was being a dick.
Conventionally this thread is for cycle-dicks, motor-dicks get put into the Vroom ghetto.

« Reply #1070 on: 14 October, 2023, 10:41:30 am »
^ True.

At the same time many of us commuters never post on Vrooom, so share the DotD here, whatever their choice of vehicle.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1071 on: 14 October, 2023, 11:09:34 am »
Still wrong
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1072 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:24:49 am »
Is it so difficult to find the ‘Today’s Motoring Moron’ thread? (Hint: clicky).

« Reply #1073 on: 15 October, 2023, 05:31:17 pm »
When you never go onto the Vroom sub?  Yes.

« Reply #1074 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:46:45 pm »
Wandered round to local shop for a few beers, first nearly DOTD wad the domino's delivery cyclist who hadn't properly deployed his stand so his bike nearly fell over while being loaded. Luckily for him I was walking past so grabbed the handle bars

And today's DOTD the person cycling along path with front light  straight into my eyes so couldn't even see who was on bike and no rear light once they'd gone past me