Author Topic: Porkers 400 3/5/15  (Read 6743 times)

Re: Porkers 400 3/5/15
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:29:22 am »
+1 to your thoughts Andy.

Good to see lots of new faces to the Wessex experience (and some returning anciens after a few years awol). 33 finishers out of 34 starters according to the Wessex SR website  :thumbsup:

Thanks again to all the helpers for the TLC at the village hall controls.

As Sean Q said at the Arrivee "it doesn't get any easier" but then if it was easy would we have been there?

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2015, 06:35:39 pm »
^love all the Austins!

I had assumed that 'The Austins'* was some sort of slang or nickname and have been trying to work it out all day, but I now suspect that you're referring to the old cars in a couple of the photos on the link?

* To try and rationalise this, Facebook is blocked at work, so I couldn't look at the photos earlier. Meanwhile the thought pattern is probably influenced the fact that Chelsea fans are the 'Jeremies' and Fulham fans are the 'Tarquins'. I'm not 100% sure where Tarquins comes from, but broadcaster Robert Elms came up with 'Jeremy come lately' to describe the fickle middle class fans that started supporting Chelsea since they had loads of money to buy trophies with. I just couldn't get 'Austins' to fit with cycling, Peugeots may have confused me even more as I don't recall seeing one being ridden ;)

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:19:55 pm »
Was going to write a report, but let's go with Good & Bad

Good

Great route, great climbing nothing too hard, thanks to Sean for organising

Great controls, village halls for the nighttime was perfect

Hot Food in the night at the village hall

Pushing my club points to 57, my AAA points to 115 and getting 3/4 of my Wessex SR done

If anyone is doing the 600k as a DIY - get in touch I'm on Strava

Arriving back 2nd in 21 hours, but a whole 2h behind Gainluigi, respect :). Also total respect to those doing the double.

Chatting to Mr LEL author over first 60k - 99p book purchased of Amazon now :)

Showboating just a little up the climb to Portland Bill

Feeling a lot fresher after the event than the 400k the week before.

Bad

Two punctures in the nighttime, wasting a co2 by inflating the tyre before putting the wheel back on the frame - it won't fit - it was dark I was tired.

Initial Headwind, at least it was early on

Bonking at 390k - must drink a lot more, running out of water not clever.

Getting through 399.9k without any traffic issues only for a car to jump a red light at the turn into the End cafe road and nearly take me out as I was turning right - it would have been messy

The level of helpfulness to struggling inexperienced Audaxers. :(

Playing chicken with Headhodges who like to sit in the middle of country lanes in the dark :)

Deer who run across in front of you in the middle of the night

Not bring able to find village controls in the dark - wasn't the only one,  the stupid thing was after the event I realised I'd done an event from one of these earlier in the year, thank goodness for milkmen :)

Riding the last 340k solo, well it's a good and bad if you know what I mean

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2015, 06:53:36 pm »
34 successful riders.  I think Shawn had 100 entries?
how many started?
 :demon:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 07 May, 2015, 08:36:01 pm »
I thought it was 1 less finisher than those who started which given the route is pretty good.

H

« Reply #30 on: 19 October, 2015, 04:47:17 pm »
How does the night time riders sleep at this event if any sleeping can be done? I can sleep on a hard village hall floor if given the chance for an hour or so. Is this possible? Seriously considering this event over Asparagus and Strawberries.

hillbilly

« Reply #31 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »
I slept on a mat behind a curtain, from memory.  Bear in mind that the 2pm start, on a bank holiday weekend, means that you are likely to go into this more refreshed than most other 400km rides.  When I think back on it, one of its many good features was a general feeling of being rested and not overly sleep deprived.

I'll also opine that this is a great event.  I'd go so far as to say it is one of the best, potentially the best, 400km rides currently run in the UK.  It crushes almost every other event simply because at its heart is a very interesting route, organised by a very experienced organiser, with the help of some very helpful helpers.  Of the Wessex SR rides, it's the only one that I'm seriously tempted to do again just for the pleasure of it, rather than ticking off another Wessex SR.

Hmmm.  I am so enthused, I reckon I will (diary permitting) be riding this in 2016.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »
How does the night time riders sleep at this event if any sleeping can be done? I can sleep on a hard village hall floor if given the chance for an hour or so. Is this possible? Seriously considering this event over Asparagus and Strawberries.

Corscombe village hall comes at about 220km into the ride and provides a decent place to have a kip.

Obviously with a 2pm start, timings are all quite funny on Porkers!  But you'll reach there whenever, and if you have enough time in hand, then a kip there should see you set up for the rest of the ride (all flat of course......).

I can only echo the above from hillbilly - this is probably the best 400km event in the calendar.  I have ridden it twice and would consider it again (and that is rare for me to ride a longer event multiple times).  It's quite easy to get to and because of the start time, it won't require a hotel the night before (unless you are coming from a long way away!). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #33 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »
Sold! I just need to make sure I can get Monday off if I understand the timing - Start on Sunday, finish on monday, back at work Tuesday! Luckily it doesn't clash with my son's May the fourth birthday! Brucie Bonus ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #34 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
Sold! I just need to make sure I can get Monday off if I understand the timing - Start on Sunday, finish on monday, back at work Tuesday! Luckily it doesn't clash with my son's May the fourth birthday! Brucie Bonus ;D

It's usually a bank holiday weekend?

(I accept that bank holiday doesn't mean holiday for everyone though and you may still need to work on that!)
Right! What's next?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 19 October, 2015, 05:51:59 pm »
May the  fourth?

You have a Star Wars child - well done!

Sorry, as you were ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #36 on: 19 October, 2015, 06:16:59 pm »
Once upon a time the night control was at Halstock.  Various riders were dozing, falling asleep in their food, staring vacantly, when a voice pipes up: "Well, it beats just lying in bed all night."

« Reply #37 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:52:15 am »
May the  fourth?

You have a Star Wars child - well done!

Sorry, as you were ...

Yes! He a proper star wars child!  8) All Kudos goes to my other half for holding on till then!

And yep, forgot about the bank holiday so definitely going to rummmage for my cheque book! (unless the organiser can be persuaded to add a paypal option?)

« Reply #38 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:54:54 am »
Because of when it is the weekend, you can do the whole thing with just occasional naps. Just make sure you sleep well before and can catch-up after.

I'm not recommending it, but it's what I did so I know it's possible.

It's a great ride and I hope to do it again in 2016 - along with the 600 too. The route and controls on both were great. Highly recommended !

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #39 on: 20 October, 2015, 10:00:10 am »
Yes my favourite 400k audax. Tough climbing in places, but as already said, most people seem to finish. Although slow, I seem to generally finish this one with more time in hand than on the other Wessex rides. :)

Generally I don't have time to sleep on this ride - just a few naps  get me through as well,  then sleep on the train home!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Hummers

« Reply #40 on: 21 October, 2015, 12:51:01 pm »

There are normally church halls that allow you a nap as long as you have the spare time. I have ridden this a number of times (as a perm and calendar event) and have often just opted to keep going.

Be aware that it is a very different 400 to the Asparagus & Strawberries in terms of terrain.

H

« Reply #41 on: 21 October, 2015, 01:30:31 pm »

There are normally church halls that allow you a nap as long as you have the spare time. I have ridden this a number of times (as a perm and calendar event) and have often just opted to keep going.

Be aware that it is a very different 400 to the Asparagus & Strawberries in terms of terrain.

H

I do like a challenge! I am currently looking for my cheque book :) See you there?

« Reply #42 on: 27 October, 2015, 02:19:57 pm »
I'd like to attempt the Wessex SR in 2016, but am not clear on a couple of points and so would appreciate advice:

1) Do you have to do the calendar events or will the perm versions also count?  I'd assume a mix is OK.  This is because I might not be able to spare a whole w/e for the Hard Boild 300 and Dorset Coast 200.

3) Do you have to complete both the Hard Boiled 300 and 3D300 or will only one do?  I'd assume only one is OK.

Sorry for the newbie questions  :-[

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:32:54 pm »
I'd like to attempt the Wessex SR in 2016, but am not clear on a couple of points and so would appreciate advice:

1) Do you have to do the calendar events or will the perm versions also count?  I'd assume a mix is OK.  This is because I might not be able to spare a whole w/e for the Hard Boild 300 and Dorset Coast 200.

3) Do you have to complete both the Hard Boiled 300 and 3D300 or will only one do?  I'd assume only one is OK.

Sorry for the newbie questions  :-[

1) You can mix it up - you may need to Email Shawn at the end of your SR to let him know.*

3) you can use either of them as your 300, I suspect you could also use one of them as a substitute for a 200?

*Try hard to do that whole weekend - it's definitely one of the more memorable parts of the whole SR for me (dragging my sorry legs around the DC200 after the beasting of the Hard Boiled!).

Right! What's next?

« Reply #44 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:50:25 pm »
Is the 3D 300 on next year ? It's not listed as a perm or calendar event for 2016 - yet.

« Reply #45 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:05:12 pm »
Thx for the info Marcus.  I can well imagine that doing the "HB300/DC200 Double" would be a great expereince (though possibly in hindsight...) so will definitely aim for it.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #46 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:53:16 am »
Definitely an experience. When I rode the pair in 2013 I found the Hard Boiled quite tough, but then had a truly sublime day on the Dorset Coast.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Hummers

« Reply #47 on: 04 November, 2015, 08:38:03 am »
Is the 3D 300 on next year ? It's not listed as a perm or calendar event for 2016 - yet.

Sadly not. It is a fine route.

H

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #48 on: 04 November, 2015, 04:37:19 pm »
Thx for the info Marcus.  I can well imagine that doing the "HB300/DC200 Double" would be a great expereince (though possibly in hindsight...) so will definitely aim for it.

I was the opposite from Reg T - enjoyed the Hardboiled and was a little laboured on the Dorset Coast (in 2013).  But we had fine weather.  It was much tougher in 2014 when the likes of Postie did both and it rained a lot.  I'd only planned to do the Hardboiled that year and was glad as my transmission was trashed after 300km of wet muddy lanes.  If you do both you'll watch your peers roll up the hill after Studland and wonder what's wrong with your legs!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

« Reply #49 on: 04 November, 2015, 05:40:57 pm »
My take. 

Hard Boiled is 200km of "what's the fuss" and 100km of "what the f**k". 
The first 100km of the Dorset Coast is "Why the f**k" then the last 100km is "Thank f**k".

The last 20km from Dorcester is pretty easy, and allows you to look back smugly on a job well done.  Not so much delayed gratification, as waves will pass over you as you tick down the miles on a memorable but challenging weekend.

It's manageable, but needs you to come out of winter in reasonable shape or bloody determined.