Author Topic: AUK Annual Reunion  (Read 15615 times)

Re: AUK Annual Reunion
« Reply #25 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:41:54 pm »
Surely the presentation is the razzmatazz?  About 9pm, I'd reckon but don't quote me.

Yes razzmatazz is the presentation and excellent as always.  Is Hummers doing the honours this year?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 12 November, 2015, 12:16:47 am »
Surely the presentation is the razzmatazz?  About 9pm, I'd reckon but don't quote me.

Yes razzmatazz is the presentation and excellent as always.  Is Hummers doing the honours this year?

Mr Crossland will be doing the honours this year, with Keith Benton as guest of honour

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 12 November, 2015, 11:21:49 am »
I'll be following TG's tyre tracks on a Dinner Dart through Bucks Northants Leics and Rutland; praying that the BBC have got the weather wrong for Saturday  :-\

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 12 November, 2015, 11:57:55 am »

Mr Crossland will be doing the honours this year, with Keith Benton as guest of honour

Can we get Kurt next year? he comes across very well on his videos

« Reply #29 on: 12 November, 2015, 01:02:08 pm »
Wilko was brilliant when he did guest of honour / hander outer of 'stuff' plus excellent talk. Mike Hall, Shu P would also be great choices just to name a couple of ultra distance bike riders.

Martin

« Reply #30 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »
Wilko was brilliant when he did guest of honour / hander outer of 'stuff' plus excellent talk. Mike Hall, Shu P would also be great choices just to name a couple of ultra distance bike riders.

never heard of any of them  ???

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 12 November, 2015, 09:26:03 pm »

Some of the most accomplished long distance riders around.

Wilko - several times national 24hr champion and record holder at the event (541 miles)
Mike Hall - held the record for round the world (91-92 days) before the rules change, won Tour divide and TransAm and organises TransCon
Shu - britain's first female solo RAAM finisher

(I have probably missed loads off each of their palmares - sorry!).

I think all three are AUK members, but all have taken their long distance cycling in some amazing inspirational directions.

Wilko was great 3-4 years ago.

Good choices for future invitations.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Martin

« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2015, 10:09:04 pm »
I remember Wilko now (got a trophy from him) didn't make the connection

My club dinner had another round the worlder as a guest speaker; a very absorbing story as he got wiped out on the US West Coast and still finished (with no hope of getting the record)

and another bloke who flew to Siberia and basically blagged / rode his way back home; deciding to go the long way round via SE Asia and Australia (as you do!)

I used to commute with a bloke who got on his MTB once and rode it to India with a tent on the back; I think he had to get a new rear wheel shipped somewhere improbable

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #33 on: 13 November, 2015, 07:03:54 am »
I am planning to be there as it's just down the road from me. I can organise a nice route for a Sat social ride too if needed.

Excellent - consider yourself duly appointed! Be back by 2pm though otherwise you'll miss all the fun!*

*Well, like fun, only different...
The route will start and end with cycle/pedestrian paths through Ferry Meadows, and in order to include a suitable cafe stop the total distance will be 32 miles, a bit longer than suggested but assuming a 9am start, 3h riding time and an hour at the cafe means we'll be back in good time for the "fun". If I have a rough idea of numbers I may be able to encourage my first choice cafe to open earlier than their stated 11am, otherwise it'll be one of the Oundle options.

Google Maps route here

Haven't seen a lot about this on here or the AUK forum. Is it worth getting up at silly o'clock to join this - is anyone going to be on this ride? And do we start from the hotel car park?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #34 on: 13 November, 2015, 12:21:07 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

LMT

« Reply #35 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:16:06 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I had not either, some people take no interest in long distance cycling - other than well, doing long distance cycling.

By all means help yourself to another facepalm

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »
generally I find stories of adversity (like the 3 examples I quoted above) more entertaining than stories from "pros" and accomplished TT'ers, Idai and Drew Buck were another couple of good speakers recently

« Reply #37 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:21:42 pm »

[/quote]

I had not either, some people take no interest in long distance cycling - other than well, doing long distance cycling.

By all means help yourself to another facepalm
[/quote]

Nevertheless, slightly surprising on a topic about the AUDAX reunion, unless, of course, you don't know what audax is about, and certainly a little surprising for someone actually receiving a trophy from one of them.  Every time I receive a trophy from someone, I always find out who they are; turns out it was my headmaster.  It was a big school and I'd never heard of him, either.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #38 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »
I am planning to be there as it's just down the road from me. I can organise a nice route for a Sat social ride too if needed.

Excellent - consider yourself duly appointed! Be back by 2pm though otherwise you'll miss all the fun!*

*Well, like fun, only different...
The route will start and end with cycle/pedestrian paths through Ferry Meadows, and in order to include a suitable cafe stop the total distance will be 32 miles, a bit longer than suggested but assuming a 9am start, 3h riding time and an hour at the cafe means we'll be back in good time for the "fun". If I have a rough idea of numbers I may be able to encourage my first choice cafe to open earlier than their stated 11am, otherwise it'll be one of the Oundle options.

Google Maps route here

Haven't seen a lot about this on here or the AUK forum. Is it worth getting up at silly o'clock to join this - is anyone going to be on this ride? And do we start from the hotel car park?

I've hidden some info on the reunion page on aukweb harmed from here, IIRC.
Looks like a dozen or so riders.

The car park is the traditional place :)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #39 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
Well it's a very nice hotel, with good coffee, even better wine, and free wifi, hence my gratuitous post....

I got some sort of trophy  ???   ??? from Wilko too, and he was a great speaker...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #40 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:59:40 pm »
Mikey - and all of you - have a great time!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 13 November, 2015, 05:13:57 pm »
Thanks!

Giraffe's on the prowl, I'm in the room.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #42 on: 13 November, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »
Wish I could be with you all :{
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #43 on: 13 November, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »

Can we get Kurt next year? he comes across very well on his videos

This is a fantastic suggestion. By the time of the next reunion Steve should have broken Kurt's distance, and a double bill would be even better. In fact, the national interest should be huge (given the attention Tommy received), so it could be on a whole different level to an AUK reunion, but it would really be something if AUK could host it. Anyone fancy bringing it up at the weekend?

« Reply #44 on: 14 November, 2015, 08:57:33 am »
Would anyone at today's AGM be so kind as to post the outcome of the various votes?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #45 on: 14 November, 2015, 10:06:37 am »
Would anyone at today's AGM be so kind as to post the outcome of the various votes?

+1
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #46 on: 14 November, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »

Yes indeed  can't wait
  :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 14 November, 2015, 12:07:44 pm »
Martin  I agree  Drew Buck was so entertaining
Roll on 2night!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 14 November, 2015, 12:39:47 pm »
I will try and tweet a few results @marcusjb

If any fisticuffs kicks off, I will periscope it.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #49 on: 14 November, 2015, 04:52:40 pm »
(To the best of notes)

1) 356 for / 54 against / 11 abstentions
2) 382 / 11 / 8
3) 362 / 47 / 37
4) 243 / 153 / 12
5) 323 / 35 / 18

Nominations
1) 380 / 3 / 6
2) 377 / 6 / 9
3) non-exec's
Chris 216
Dave 207
John 244

All done n dusted...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.