Author Topic: AGM / AUK dinner at Peterborough - who is going?  (Read 6670 times)

AGM / AUK dinner at Peterborough - who is going?
« on: 04 October, 2015, 11:48:10 am »
Given the ability to vote remotely and the cost of attending AGM / dinner, wondered who was planning on going as a fee paying member.

Re: AGM / AUK dinner at Peterborough - who is going?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2015, 12:53:11 pm »
I'm considering it.

Admitedly the my-vote-counts thing was always my main motivation for attending AGMs and that's kind of been undermined now.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »
The club dinner and the AGM are separate in most clubs. That allows the club officials to enjoy the event as much as everyone else. Now that the actual AGM meeting is an empty shell, it can be ignored, leaving more time for a ride, and for chatting in the bar.

I should have a PBP film ready by then, and I'd like to show that at some point. That defines my weekend somewhat.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:41:30 pm »
I've been dithering. Probably not. Maybe. Are entries still open?

The club dinner and the AGM are separate in most clubs. That allows the club officials to enjoy the event as much as everyone else. Now that the actual AGM meeting is an empty shell, it can be ignored, leaving more time for a ride, and for chatting in the bar.
Is that the case with other nation-wide "clubs"? I've only ever belonged to local clubs (for sports/hobby stuff) - I have no idea what is "normal" for national bodies! Do folks attend both? Or is the AGM just the commitee having a chat?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:47:44 pm »
I'm a member of the British section of the Austrian Alpine Club, and the CTC, both entirely for insurance purposes. I imagine the CTC AGM as being an arena for pedants and those keen on being on the 'Top Table'. The Austrian Alpine Club seems bit more like AUK, with practical sessions and a meal at the AGM.
I can see myself doing more walking and climbing.

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »
There is a suggestion that in the future, the AGM and Reunion should be run as entirely separate events, probably with the Reunion in November(ish) as now, so people can ride bikes, drink beer, swap notes about the season just gone and allow the pedants, rule-hounds and abolitionists plenty of informal discussion to start the ball rolling on any formal changes they felt were necessary.

This would leave the winter for proposals to be developed, then presented to an AGM in March(ish), still with remote voting: trying to do them over the summer for a 1st September deadline seems a wee bit rushed.

Of course, even if it is adopted, this suggestion wouldn't affect this year's AGM, and possibly not next year's either

I've been dithering. Probably not. Maybe. Are entries still open?

Yes, as far as I know.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »
I cant believe I forgot about the good ole CTC - this year's voting papers are actually wedged underneath this keyboard  :facepalm:

But they are a MUCH bigger club limited company charity. Sounds like your Alpinists may be a closer match.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2015, 04:08:58 pm »
First one in a couple of years. Should be an interesting weekend.

Probably riding up from SW London (but not a dart), might have to train it depending on workload. Certainly up for a social ride on Saturday morning. Ride home on the Sunday (again not a 200 or whatever). Think it is about 140km and that is just fine for a winter's day for someone who doesn't care about collecting points.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »
I'll be riding the Swaffham 100 and then over to Peterborough. I will probably only get there in time to be irritated over the award of trophies for winners in a non competitive pursuit.

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:25:54 pm »
I will probably only get there in time to be irritated over the award of trophies for winners in a non competitive pursuit.

Says a former winner!

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2015, 08:35:19 pm »
That was a side effect of something else. Doesn't mean I like 'em.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2015, 09:37:54 pm »
I hope to go but there are liited leave passes available for wekends  ::-)
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2015, 10:42:42 pm »

Nope, no point now .....
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2015, 05:01:11 am »
Going. For good company, known and unknown. Hoping many others will go too. The AGM is a minor part of it (and not without interest, in spite of the big vote by non-attenders).

« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:21:11 am »
I imagine the CTC AGM as being an arena for pedants

Well thank goodness we haven't fallen into that trap

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2015, 07:22:54 am »
 ;D

« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:22:09 pm »
I'm very worried that the board rule making factory is considering being productive for years to come. Can't think why we need more rules and the ever increasing nested rules multiplying like mushrooms.

Just the dinner alone would be a good move but would like to see it becoming more affordable. If there is a subsidy available from AUK monies, should!D be for everyone and perhaps increase the quality and quantity of the food.

Do we have to have the trophies?

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2015, 02:33:48 pm »
Do we have to have the wreched trophies?

Trophies are not wretched.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »
I am going to the other audax get together in November  :demon:

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:02:51 pm »
Being a recent recruit to audaxing I've yet to attend  an AGM / dinner. In my mountaineering club we have a separate AGM held in a mountaineering shop with 20% discount  to attendees. Then we have an annual dinner spent in the mountains with silly speeches and beer in the evening. I spent many years on the committee and always preferred the dinner.

So not sure what to make of a combined dinner and AGM. Would I enjoy it, would it be a good use of the weekend? I do like the idea of riding up, riding on Sat with acquaintances made on audaxes, some beer food and good conversation, then riding back Sunday.

What could I expect of the weekend?

« Reply #20 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »

Wassat then?

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #21 on: 05 October, 2015, 08:56:03 pm »
I doubt I'll be going. This year my wife doesn't want to go due to last years venue being a bit grim and not particularly good value but then again she isn't an Audaxer.
If you gave her a small plastic cup of robinsons squash and some tinned peaches and then pointed at the floor for her to sleep on and tried to tell her it was TLC she's kick you in the balls.

There's a slim chance I'll go without her, 'cos I do like seeing some of you for drinky poos.

"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #22 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »

Wassat then?

Ah.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:33:14 pm »
Do we have to have the trophies?

This year yes as that's one of the main reasons for the weekend & for the attendence of the winners thereof; if you don't want them next year then vote against awarding them  :)

excellent!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #24 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:06:36 am »
I might go to that other one too, there will be cake, right ?