Author Topic: LEL - new route into Edinburgh  (Read 6185 times)

crowriver

• Крис Б
Re: LEL - new route into Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:20:17 am »
Who cares? It's not a race.

If you want full value, do the official route. If you want to mix it with lorries on A roads to shave a few minutes off the time here or there, go ahead. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Bairn Again

« Reply #26 on: 21 November, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »
Offered to do some route testing for LEL.  A few pics of the new way north attached from todays wee winter ride.  these are on the path between roslin and edinburgh

« Reply #27 on: 22 November, 2015, 10:12:27 am »
If you ride a velomobile or trike, take a note of the bottom photo above. That is the one barrier we're won't be able to remove, as it's bolted to the ground. When we do another check we'll measure the width and height of the gap to the right.

There'll be an alternative route if you want/have to use the road.

« Reply #28 on: 22 November, 2015, 02:04:12 pm »
Buggies, prams and bikes with 2-wheeled child trailers easily fit through width-wise, obviously people need to duck. I can measure if you want - earliest opportunity will be Wednesday.

« Reply #29 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:05:14 pm »
OK - initial quick measurements of that multi-gate thing, as I was passing there anyway...

Max height for fitting under the two tall bits on the right of the picture is 1.15m (measured both of them)
Max width from the right-hand edge of the middle-height bit to an estimated perpendicular line between the two taller bits is at least 1m

I didn't have the time to work it out exactly, but can go back another time and work it out properly.  I was using a tape that flexed slightly in the wind, and have erred on the side of caution.

Looks OK for Mango & Quest velomobiles, and ice trikes if they are steered straight and without sideways wobbles ;-).
Hope this is helpful as a starter.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:31:27 pm »
So let me get this straight on these audaxey thingimabobs.

There's a published route, but it's not waymarked (a-la sportive) and you don't have to follow it as long as you turn up at the right place at roughly the right time, and I won't attract funny looks on a recumbent?

I quite like the sound of this.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #31 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
So let me get this straight on these audaxey thingimabobs.

There's a published route, but it's not waymarked (a-la sportive) and you don't have to follow it as long as you turn up at the right place at roughly the right time, and I won't attract funny looks on a recumbent?

I quite like the sound of this.

Yep. As long as you are at the controls within the time limits you can ride where you like on any Audax. For most audaxes the published route is normally the nicest route though.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:22:01 am »
There are certainly occasions when a recumbent chooses to avoid a hilly chunk and opts to ride further faster and flatter but  probably with more traffic on the road but gets to the next control faster than by using the recommended organisers route -- which is more geared to uprights  -- sometimes at night the uprights might choose to take this route  too --  tandems will certainly consider it.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »
If you ride a velomobile or trike, take a note of the bottom photo above. That is the one barrier we're won't be able to remove, as it's bolted to the ground. When we do another check we'll measure the width and height of the gap to the right.

There'll be an alternative route if you want/have to use the road.

Might want to check the passing capability of the bollards in the middle photo too. Probably OK but worth being sure.

On the bottom photo, what's that going up to the left? It looks like a private drive but could provide an option to go around the gate by nothing more arduous than dismantling a piece of fencing.

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:16:05 pm »
On the bottom photo, what's that going up to the left? It looks like a private drive but could provide an option to go around the gate by nothing more arduous than dismantling a piece of fencing.

That's a parallel farm track, but there is a strip of woodland in between the two, which I seem to recall being planted up some years ago, possibly under a woodland grant scheme - so not just a fence.