Author Topic: Camera-Phone Photos  (Read 120298 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Camera-Phone Photos
« Reply #200 on: 03 November, 2014, 11:14:07 am »
All very impressive, even if a bit of noise is visible.

I like the idea of taking stealthy street shots disguised as selfies.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #201 on: 03 November, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »
Just got a new (Mk2) Motorola Moto G.  It's a £149 phone so nothing special but it has an 8Mp camera on the back and a 2Mp "selfie" camera on the front.
The main camera resolves detail, colours and contrast better but I'm still impressed by the bottom image (after a bit of tweaking to get come contrast and sharpness back).

Out of interest, can you post the pin-hole capture before your bit of tweaking ?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #202 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:02:37 pm »
Just got a new (Mk2) Motorola Moto G.  It's a £149 phone so nothing special but it has an 8Mp camera on the back and a 2Mp "selfie" camera on the front.
The main camera resolves detail, colours and contrast better but I'm still impressed by the bottom image (after a bit of tweaking to get come contrast and sharpness back).

Out of interest, can you post the pin-hole capture before your bit of tweaking ?

I don't have the originals so here are 2 new ones, straight out of the phone, stood in the same spot (not zoomed, that's just the focal lengths of the 2 lenses)

To put it in perspective, I paid about £300, in 2001, for a 2Mp Fuji.  I then had to pay about £50 for a 256Mb card (I think that's what I paid).
I put 32Gb of storage in the phone for £12.  It would take me quite a while to list all the functions of a modern Android phone (Video player, Music system, diary......etc, etc for a hundred other functions).

It's all pretty extraordinary to think about the tech available in a mobile phone. 
I know that the Guildford Space Centre use mobile phones for the internals of some of their satellite experiments because they have all the tech they need (GPS, powerful processors, accelerometers, powerful "radio" transmitters..).

The latest batch of phones have 4K video capability (which says as much about their processing power as their video capability).

Here's some 720p footage from mine at the weekend.  Obviously I wouldn't have said no to 1080p but hey-ho, it's not too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4sGkENdsM
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #203 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:10:52 pm »
I notice the grey car wasn't in the first batch of photos, and the green recycling bags have mysteriously disappeared beside the wooden fence.

You can't get much past me.

Can I have a book token for my prize please?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #204 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »
I don't have the originals so here are 2 new ones, straight out of the phone, stood in the same spot (not zoomed, that's just the focal lengths of the 2 lenses)

I'm not trying to trick anyone

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #205 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
Pah! I haven't got time to read! Just send the damn Postal Order you swine!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #206 on: 03 November, 2014, 06:45:23 pm »
Thanks lee.  I guess the top one is the pin-hole.  I was asking as I've tried "correcting" / tweaking some of my photos before with pretty crap results, so I wanted to see what could be done. Ive only ever used old canon software for this, I dont have photoshop or anything.

Agreed, the tech in mobiles is amazing. Pity it cant improve the weather.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #207 on: 03 November, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »

To put it in perspective, I paid about £300, in 2001, for a 2Mp Fuji.  I then had to pay about £50 for a 256Mb card (I think that's what I paid).
I put 32Gb of storage in the phone for £12.  It would take me quite a while to list all the functions of a modern Android phone (Video player, Music system, diary......etc, etc for a hundred other functions).

It's all pretty extraordinary to think about the tech available in a mobile phone. 
I know that the Guildford Space Centre use mobile phones for the internals of some of their satellite experiments because they have all the tech they need (GPS, powerful processors, accelerometers, powerful "radio" transmitters..).

The latest batch of phones have 4K video capability (which says as much about their processing power as their video capability).

Here's some 720p footage from mine at the weekend.  Obviously I wouldn't have said no to 1080p but hey-ho, it's not too bad.

Here are 640x480 pixel crops from the two untouched images

« Reply #208 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:55:52 pm »
Nothing technical, just a small piece of a larger picture.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #209 on: 03 November, 2014, 11:40:58 pm »

Preparation
by rjevans6, on Flickr

Loch na Keal, Mull
by rjevans6, on Flickr

HTC Desire S - as taken

« Reply #210 on: 05 November, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »
Blackberry 8900

Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

Jakob

« Reply #211 on: 05 November, 2014, 11:50:10 pm »

Dude Chilling Park on a autumn morning

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #212 on: 07 November, 2014, 03:26:45 pm »
don't forget to add details of the camera, Mega pixel count, filters applied.....etc,

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #213 on: 07 November, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »
One from July last year

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Motorola MB525 1/929s f/2.8 at 4.0mm iso57

One from February this year

1/15s f/2.8 at 4.0mm iso199

Think it's 5 Mp, can't remember. It's more of an instrument of record than a camera.

« Reply #214 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:08:11 pm »
don't forget to add details of the camera, Mega pixel count, filters applied.....etc,

Eh?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #215 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »

Eh?

I mean phone, not camera.  Just so people, interested in using a phone as a camera, can decide if a particular model is good enough for what they want.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #216 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:19:37 pm »

Dude Chilling Park on a autumn morning

There is detail in the shadows and everything.  That's impressive.

« Reply #217 on: 07 November, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »

Eh?

I mean phone, not camera.  Just so people, interested in using a phone as a camera, can decide if a particular model is good enough for what they want.

I was being a little facetious. My phone is just point'n'press (as I use it). 5mg pixels and auto setting.

Jakob

« Reply #218 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:17:45 pm »

Oops, iPhone5, straight to facebook jpg, then here.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #219 on: 08 November, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »

Eh?

I was being a little facetious. My phone is just point'n'press (as I use it). 5mg pixels and auto setting.

It's all in the EXIF.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #220 on: 25 November, 2014, 07:40:46 am »
16mp Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoomed and cropped and "enhanced"

This is it before cropping.

Note, this was taken yesterday 24th November 2014!!

Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #221 on: 25 November, 2014, 10:37:24 am »

Loch na Keal, Mull
by rjevans6, on Flickr

I love the razor-thin sliver of land connecting the 3 main "lumps".

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #222 on: 25 November, 2014, 10:39:57 am »
While we're at it, why not post videos shot on a Phone-camera?

Motorola Moto G (MkII) - 720p only.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #223 on: 26 November, 2014, 12:35:54 pm »
More from the MOTO G

(Note.  I found that the App "Camera Awesome" allowed me to override the exposure setting better than some photo Apps. You can select where to focus and, separately, take an exposure reading from another area.  This means, for example, that you can expose for a dark subject even when the supplied camera really wants to expose for a bright sky as in the Cathedral shot, which would be a silhouette otherwise ).

It's going to take some time to familiarise myself with its shortcomings but, like today, it was better than having no camera when forced to kill time for an hour in Salisbury.

« Reply #224 on: 26 November, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »
That's excellent stuff, Lee, thanks.  But really, a camera and a cathedral and you are "forced to kill time"?!  You'll be telling me next that being from Stockport forced you to support Manchester Utd.

peter